Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

ooh. this could be fun with strange belle + quill pen. get a little extra lore as you get to 10 ink and then hit with Belle a few times. I have a saphire/amythist item/draw/ramp deck, though a big flaw of the deck is I don't really have much to protect belle with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
All the legendary cards have been revealed. This time the style is fairly consistent and we have location, item and action cards

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Was at my LGS today to buy sleeves and saw they had a bunch of Lorcana series 1 and 2 starter decks, so i impulse bought 1 of each.

I have been keeping an eye out occasionally but no stores ever had s1 or s2 in my country but had s3 up for preorder so i figured it wouldnt release here. Have been thinking of buying them from cardmarket (at about €55 each) but instead got to buy them for €25 :dance:

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Lorcana app has been updated with Inklands. Talked to FLGS and they seem optimistic that Ravensburger learned something of a lesson on availability. We’ll have to see. I was able to secure a box as a preorder.

Interested in trying to come up with a green/yellow flute song or brew a bit in sapphire with items.

E: something like this. Also it looks like locations aren’t in the app.

Ulta fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 20, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
ITL booster boxes are widely available for pre-order at $20 less than MSRP on tcgplayer and eBay. That's a really promising sign for availability.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Boosters seem plentifully. I’ve had my preorder for a trove and gift set fall through though. My flgs in a medium sized town was able to get enough boosters for about 300 people according to their Facebook, but got none of the placemats, and limited troves and giftsets.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Just got finished with doing 2 sealed release events today. Overall I had fun. 1-1-1 for the first one then 1-2 for the second. Takeaways from Inklands

1: Holy poo poo, a Peter Pan Deck may actually be feasible now

2: Allowing players to use all colors kind of breaks the game.

3: Running any of the land cards that give lore is a must going forward in constructed. You also need hard counters to lands because otherwise your opponent will run away with the scoreboard.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 25, 2024

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I did a release tournament today(sealed deck with no color restrictions). I agree on the color restrictions, I ended up only swaping out Horace and jsasper from the amber/emerald deck and ran it mostly as-is and stuck with the two colors, and I think that was a big disadvantage. I was in 9th in the 4th round and trhen lost and dropped to 15th out of 17 with 3-2

Locations do seem really strong, they have a lot of defense for their cost, and so it takes a few hits it feels like from comprable costed units barring anti-location stuff.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Also did sealed (pick a precon, add whatever you want from the pack). Went 3-0 with the blue red.
Locations are good and it puts pressure to make challenging more of a thing. The bird Maui card was really great because it was so good at taking out locations. Tala with the look 2 pick one was also amazing. I also got two of the Sumerian lockets out, and crashing small dudes into bigger dudes to draw two cards felt really good.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
prereleasss by me were insane

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
The attempted limited deckbuilding rules I've seen to date seem kind of incoherent but I don't know a great way through that. The way cards are distributed in packs and the rarity breakdown makes it difficult for the normal deck restrictions to have any meaning and colors are meaningless as a result.

Did the people who play any of these kind of pre-release limited/sealed formats find that they encountered any decks that tried to use synergy or was it a bunch of predictable good stuff piles?

I feel if they ever had a different style draft pack they could maybe pull off a limited environment with three color deckbuilding restrictions. But each pack having only one color of each common makes that difficult to impossible with the boosters as they are.

The more I think about it I dont know what distribution would work given 6 colors, 5 rarities. It could be something like, 2 commons of each color, then one uncommon, rare, super rare + foil-- with the uncommon-rare-super being color matched. Super rare slot could have a chance to be a legendary instead. Obviously pipe dreaming here but I don't know how you make deck building interesting when because of color and rare distribution, your pool is necessarily shallow unless you open more packs than anyone would want to buy for a limited event.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 26, 2024

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Drafting to 6 colors seems like an awful format.
But if they’re putting 6 colors in a 12 card pack, asfan of 2, each player drafts 4 packs, you have to go to 3 color and you also have to lock your color choices before the first pack is done? Rarities completely randomized across colors. Feels real bad.
Maybe 40 card decks isn’t small enough?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The juice probably isn't worth the squeeze esp. with them just starting to get their hands around shortage issues, but spitballing:

Have call them "Event Packs" with like 15 replacement level or lower commons/uncommons of a single color.
After everyone's last pick, they grab 2 Event Packs of different colors of their choice. You have to start thinking about what colors you're locked into by pack 2, maybe you think a little more about mechanical synergies and archetypes, the draft can be less "goodstuff.dec," and there's a guardrail to make sure you have enough playables.

Probably too logistically unworkable to print, distribute, get enough to retailers... but one way to keep it less a contest of who cracked and assembled the grossest pile of bombs.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

I don’t think it a fixable format. If people didn’t care about rares, I’d say open all the packs for a round, mix them, then do an open snake draft, reverse draft order for every round. Logistically hard and probably take too long

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Limited really has to be something planned from the outset, and it’s not there for Lorcana.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yay! I got paid!

Should I buy a box of Inklands, or she'll out the extra for a box of Chapter 1.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BigRed0427 posted:

Yay! I got paid!

Should I buy a box of Inklands, or she'll out the extra for a box of Chapter 1.
It's probably more economical to just buy the Chapter 1 stuff you want, I'd think.

Also with IIL and its flood of dalmatians I am currently workshopping a Dog Deck on Pixelborn where, ideally, in the final product all my characters are either dalmatians, Stitch, or Pluto. I feel like it needs locations just because everything does, but I haven't figured out a really useful one yet. All the dogs are in Amber so I can splash whatever. Right now I have Steel just so I can play Map to Treasure Planet and Bayou and put all the dogs there for free, but it feels pretty underwhelming.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The booster in my dalmatian starter box had Perdita and Chernabog, which seems like a sign.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I am genuinely shocked that pure Sapphire ramp using Grandma Tala, Spirit of the Ocean and Belle, Strange but Special to win just... isn't a thing. Nobody found a way to make that work, really? It seemed like such a slam dunk.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Took my Lorcana obsessed 8 year old and 10 year old to my local game store last night for their first ever organized play event doing a Lorcana draft. They absolutely loved it.
They were the only kids there (probably because it started at 7pm on a school night) and everyone was just so great. They love the game and know the rules very well, and everyone was very patient with their kid-isms (like forgetting to tap or untap characters). The younger one even won one of his best of three rounds and got a prize pack.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kind of over red/purple being at the top of the meta.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Kinda strange that market price = MSRP for Floodborn and Inklands boosters but market price for First Chapter is 2x MSRP right now. Surprising that the set that blows up the power curve was the launch set.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I had assumed that was more about availability. I still have never seen a First Chapter booster but local stores have had the other 2 sets in plentiful quantities.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I think it's a combination of First Chapter having lower supply than the other two sets and it also having a ton of staple cards. There's only so many Maleficents and Elsas to go around.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

I lucked out earlier this week when grocery shopping. Found 13 first chapter booster packs on a checkout endcap for MSRP. You bet I snatched those up. Got an enchanted Maui out of ‘em!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Inklands boxes are $120 on Amazon right now. It looks like Ravensburger has finally figured out the supply side of things.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

https://www.disneylorcana.com/en-US/product/ursulas-return

New set's coming out, Ursula's Return, in mid/late May.

quote:

A storm has been building in the magical realm of Lorcana. A powerful Ursula glimmer, unleashed from the Great Illuminary, is at last ready to put plans into motion. How far will the sea witch go to gain power over all Lorcana?

The Disney Lorcana Trading Card Game set Ursula's Return will be available at Hobby Stores and Disney Parks on May 17, 2024 and at Mass retailers and DisneyStore.com on May 31, 2024
In Hobby Stores: 5/17/24
Everywhere: 5/31/24

Starter decks are Amber/Amethyst with Mirabel and Bruno from Encanto, and Sapphire/Steel with who I'm assuming is a Floodborn Anna and Hercules.

There's also a new type of PvE game, with up to four players facing off against a boss Ursula.

https://www.disneylorcana.com/en-US/product_/deep-trouble

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Got some set 2 starters for cheap so I decided to try out a local event and give the game a shot, despite feeling like it didn't have much going on (based on my read of the rules). Was my first time ever attending a card game event and I had a great time AND found out the game was pretty good, so a real win all around. I mean, not my record at the tourney, that was losses all around (except for the literal 8 year old child who was my first opponent...) but overall, extremely fun. Deciding whether or not to expose your cards to attack by questing is a fun decision, and I like the feeling of brinksmanship where both you and your opponent are desperately trying to race across the finish line. My only issue was feeling like I needed more card draw, only getting 1 per turn (that you will probably resource) means you can end up stalled out without many options, although that's obviously less of a problem with both a better deck and a better set of skills for actually using it. Since it was my first time, one of the players very generously gave me one of his extra Jolly Roger promos, too, which was very nice of him. Overall, great fun, would recommend, will definitely be back next week with my definitely-still-bad yellow/blue deck.

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
Yeah card draw is one of the best things to build into your deck. Amber (yellow) sucks at it cause it's main concern is filling the board with smaller things and singing songs. Sapphire (blue) actually isn't terrible at it because of the card Pawpsicle which allows to draw on play. It's even better if you have Hiram Flaversham who can discard items to draw two cards.

If you really want draw, that Amethyst's (purple) thing. One of the reasons why Ruby (red)-Amethyst is currently considered one of the strongest decks.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Shingouryu posted:

Yeah card draw is one of the best things to build into your deck. Amber (yellow) sucks at it cause it's main concern is filling the board with smaller things and singing songs. Sapphire (blue) actually isn't terrible at it because of the card Pawpsicle which allows to draw on play. It's even better if you have Hiram Flaversham who can discard items to draw two cards.

If you really want draw, that Amethyst's (purple) thing. One of the reasons why Ruby (red)-Amethyst is currently considered one of the strongest decks.

Thanks for the advice, the blue starter cards included 3 pawpsicles and a few Hirams so I've scrapped together a blue/yellow deck with what I've pulled from packs.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Looks like some retailers are getting a restock on The First Chapter booster boxes, so box prices are coming down towards MSRP. Boardgamebliss has boxes in stock for $238 canadabux (~$175 USD)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

made top 4 in my lcg's store championship with pridelands steel song. got that stitch listed on ebay and ready to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

KidDynamite posted:

made top 4 in my lcg's store championship with pridelands steel song. got that stitch listed on ebay and ready to move.

Nice! I just got 9th in my set championships, I did much better than I thought I was going to do with ruby/steel control. Steelsong kicked my butt because I forgot to put any item breaking in. I was 0-1 and almost won the 2nd round at 19 lore, but my opponent got their 4th sleepy flute, giving them just enough lore to win.