Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Eggplant Squire posted:

Is physical stores selling boosters for 12 bucks a pack standard or is that just my local game store?
The Facebook group I'm on (that is of very limited help in actually finding product) makes it seem like a lot of retailers are doubling up and selling boosters at $10/pack.

Meanwhile the LGS that I have a really good relationship with and would absolutely hold product for me keeps not loving getting any shipments, argh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah honestly it kinda burns the lgs/customer relationship a bunch. Like if a store is going to gouge that hard it makes me a lot less resistant to just finding where ever I can online (although I know in this situation that's hard which is why they can sell that high) for other stuff.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I'm going to be in a semi-sealed tournemant this weekend. I get 1 deck + 2 boosters (plus the 2 boosters in the deck) and 45 minutes to build a deck. I'm not sure which deck I'm going to choose yet (or if I'll have a choice. I don't think I can pre-choose). No outside cards, so I will only have the 108? cards to build from.

E: I'll probably go with Amber Saphire over Amythist Steel, though could be good.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 13, 2023

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
So does anyone actually get to PLAY the game or is it just a bunch of scalpers and hoarders sitting on «collectibles» hoping the value will go up? (Which i am assuming it won’t if no one actually gets to play)

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

there are some people who do, I have a bunch of cards from the first set (a box, 3 decks and some "penny packs" (small sets of commons/uncommons) I won and 5 singles I bought.). I don't know if the scalper problem is as bifg a problem as it seems, so much as a lack of proeduct being made. I do know someone in my area who's collecting 1 of each unopened product which he's brought up a few times and I've bitten my tongue because it's kind of annoying it's hoarded unused proiduct,. but at least it's only 1 of each and not like tons of boxes or something.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
There are definitely a large amount of scalpers out there too. There are people who cleaned out shops around here and was immediately on Facebook marketplace from their car. Everyone from sophisticated botters to small-time local scalpers got in on it.

There’s at least a dozen booster boxes for sale in the Charlotte area on Facebook right now for $300+. I remember seeing some botter on Mercari who had pictures of 50+ troves he was selling.

Allocation has been really lovely too. Blatant scalper flea market stores got dozens of boxes but a LGS here got 8. Ravensburger said they would ban scalping stores but the same stores that got reported for scalping are already selling Floodborn cases at 3x MSRP.

Ravensburger was just completely unprepared for how to fulfill and manage distribution of a popular TCG and it’s going to take them a while to figure out what they are doing. Which is a real shame because the game is surprisingly good. They have an actual hit on their hands and might throw it all away if they can’t consistently get product in stock. The community will never grow without consistent product availability.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ineptitude posted:

So does anyone actually get to PLAY the game or is it just a bunch of scalpers and hoarders sitting on «collectibles» hoping the value will go up? (Which i am assuming it won’t if no one actually gets to play)
I fuckin' don't. Neither LGS I frequent is running anything resembling organized play yet.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Ineptitude posted:

Online play through Pixelborn is huge, over 1 million matches played now.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Ineptitude posted:

It took awhile but a family member on the other side of the country was able to find non-marked up starters and a few packs (at least it tracked with the MSRP I was googling) so I'm hoping to sit down and learn it with my kid. I'm going in fairly naive aside from knowing that Lorcana is a CCG. This will be an experience but will probably not give me much of a real feel for playing lorcana in a earnest, competitive sense like I'm used to with MTG. My LGS isn't really organizing much yet. They have some sort of league where they give people tasks but what they're doing is not self-evident from their face book posts. Its not any sort of straight up tournament night or whatever, not even sure if they're setting up matches it seems rather vague because the critical mass of players seems wanting.

Still, excited to learn a new game like a kid again.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

LGS here is running a league with over a dozen regulars. There's always a few games happening on league night, and there's usually a game or two running on non league nights as well. I can't imagine paying this much and not being able to play. We do have one insane whale who is one card away from a complete set of foils to go with his complete play set of non foil for set 1.

$10/pack for the public, $7 for league members. Over MSRP but not crazy.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
The Lorcana branded accessories are coming back in stock everywhere so I wanted to give a warning to anyone thinking about buying them. Don’t, they all suck.

The sleeves are the worst offender being very abrasive so hard to shuffle and crimp at the corners because they are tool large.

The deck boxes are super cheaply made.

The playmats are not being enough, very thin, unzoned, and have curling issues.

The portfolios only hold 64 cards for $20. Laughable compared to the Pokémon binder collections that hold 360 cards, are $25, and come with packs.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see any newer versions of the accessories because they are all so bad.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Amazon Preorder link for Rise of the Floodborn: https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/preview?isSlp=1&isPreview=1&asins=B0BV72JKT4

Currently unlisted in searches and lacking much info but orderable and confirmed via chat to be direct from Amazon.

Edit: Yes the title is in French but it’s a English description, image and english ASIN. Worst case it gets cancelled, best case you get to preorder 2 boxes.

Edit 2: Looks like it’s sold out.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 15, 2023

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Target had the d100 boxes for sale at 3am last night :(

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

goodness posted:

Target had the d100 boxes for sale at 3am last night :(

The dumbest stuff right there. They probably had some timer for it to go live at midnight west coast which makes no loving sense.

Allocations have not been good in the Charlotte area. Most stores got massively cut or are now getting their allocation over 6 weeks. I waited for a midnight release last night and managed to snag a trove and deck. Jokes on the people who got boosters because there was an enchanted Arthur in my trove.

I picked up a preorder box this morning at MSRP but that will probably be the last cards I see unless those Amazon preorders don’t get cancelled. The store that I got the preorder from is now selling the extra boxes they got at $250 each. Guess I’m not supporting them again.

Ravensburger is already doing another printing of set 2 and the third reprint of set 1 so at some point there should be enough to get sealed product back down to MSRP.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Saltpowered posted:

Ravensburger is already doing another printing of set 2 and the third reprint of set 1 so at some point there should be enough to get sealed product back down to MSRP.
That's news to me, but welcome. I would like to actually play this goddamn game at some point.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
The LGS had a restock at msrp but they limited to three packs of each set per customer. I dragged the kid along to get our packs.

Similar to magic, can you build a playable deck off a sealed pool in 6 packs? Or will I really want to supplement a starter deck with these? Any insight would be helpful before I start involving/teaching the kid.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yiggy posted:

The LGS had a restock at msrp but they limited to three packs of each set per customer. I dragged the kid along to get our packs.

Similar to magic, can you build a playable deck off a sealed pool in 6 packs? Or will I really want to supplement a starter deck with these? Any insight would be helpful before I start involving/teaching the kid.

Get the starters if you can, they're surprisingly not-terrible and while there are some cards that are outright bad, (I think) they all contain staple cards for their colors.

Well, the first 3 starters, no idea about the other 2. But they're decent starting places to build off of.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I got the new starters and played with the kids and amethyst and steel play pattern of bouncing your guys for incremental advantage is surprisingly fun.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Bought a box, pulled an enchanted. This game is alright.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I finished 11 out of 27 in my local tournament, but I also won a D100 set in a raffle. My local store did a bunch of "mini games" themed to Disney for more chances to win, like doing a shell game with Dr. Falcier hats, throwing axes at a target (gaston) and picking up barrel pof monkey monkeys (Abu). I went 3-2 with an amber dwarf swarm deck. I feel like set 2's Steel was a bit stronger though, resist was hard to beat.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
This morning, Ravensburger was going to do direct sales on their website and had a queue setup. People were to log in at 9 to get in the waiting room which would refresh at 1030 and give them a real spot in line randomly. At 10, it was pushed back to 1130, allegedly due to botters. Just now, there’s an error they the queue is down entirely and they will give a 1 hour warning at some point in the future for when it will return.

Another great success by Ravensburger.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

just make it an LCG and print it to demand, this poo poo sucks for anyone who actually wants to run a league or otherwise, you know, play the game.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I just went to their website to check on what's going on based on that post and it stuck me in a queue and told me the queue is opening at 1:05 EST, so... hop in if you see this post before then, I guess.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I pulled an enchanted Sisu and a (non-enchanted) Dragon Mim from our booster box, so I'm happy. I'm honestly curious if a dragon deck will be possible one day. Mrs Randalor got some of the new yellow Mickeys for her Musketeers deck, along with some new sword Cinderellas.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I had a wonderful place in line right until the website crashed and I had to refresh, which booted me to the back of the queue. Probably. It can't actually re-queue me without crashing again. Well done, Ravensburger.

e: I think their entire site has crashed now.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 20, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Their inability to anticipate the demand for this stuff continues to blow my mind :psyduck:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Oh good I found a thread I can complain about this in. Someone needs to take this license from Ravensburger because they have no idea what they're doing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Oh good I found a thread I can complain about this in. Someone needs to take this license from Ravensburger because they have no idea what they're doing.
I'd phrase it more as that they need to go poach some executives from WotC, Decipher, Pokemon Company, and anyone else who makes TCGs. Because they absolutely have no idea what they're doing, they are a board game company who got handed what seems to be the third biggest TCG license in the world, and they made a really fun game with it, but they have no idea how to publish it.

Website's back up but the queue is "paused", btw. RIP to my ~1200 place in the old queue.

e: I say that, and it crashes again, christ.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Well, now it's just comedy.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

So I had a few devices queued and what I noticed is that the pause rolled out to some, then crash on some (while others were frozen in queue). Now its back up and the pause has rolled out to everything and it maaay start moving again if they managed to get their heads on straight. Big if.

edit: its unpaused

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 20, 2023

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I got in, then the site crashed. Thought i was hosed but it had a "try again" button that brought me back to the store page. It is very very slow while adding to cart and checking out, so if you get there, give it time.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
On the flip side, I got in, got kicked back to 170 in queue and then got kicked to 73k so your mileage may vary

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Thank you for the heads-up! May as well que and see if I can get a starter.

I mean, there are over 140K people ahead of me, so I kinda doubt it...

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Ravensburger is saying they got a DoS attack and that's why there's been problems on their site. It was a pasted image from supposedly the official discord, which I',m not on, so I don't have any source to post.

E: Found it on twitter:
https://twitter.com/DisneyLorcana/status/1726730900946460789

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 21, 2023

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Yeah, not looking good:

quote:

Today we at Ravensburger experienced an extremely large DDoS (distributed denial of service) attack which severely disrupted the launch of Disney Lorcana: Rise of the Floodborn. Our team has worked extremely hard to solve this problem over the course of the day, but unfortunately that has not been possible. As of now we are officially ending our website sales of Disney Lorcana: Rise of the Floodborn. While we are not able to offer more specific details at this time, we want to apologize to consumers who had a negative experience during our launch today - we truly appreciate your support and are committed to improving your experience of future launches.

https://ravensburger.queue-fair.net/queueenus?target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ravensburger.us%2Fstart%2Findex.html

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I got into the store, filled my cart, and even attempted to submit payment once and then either my 20 minutes were up (it was taking a very long time to click each thing and submit each step) or the website decided it hated me, and I got booted back to the queue in position 1.2 million.

So, gently caress me, I guess.

Also, P.S. to Ravensburger, that's called demand, guys. Try to meet it next time.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Lost to demand and bots. Ravensburger is just so far over their head trying to support this game. It’s a very fun game that is easy to teach and can have a lot of depth. They have a hit that they will piss away through being unable to figure this poo poo out.

This is like when WotC couldn’t support Pokemon appropriately.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

I got into the store, filled my cart, and even attempted to submit payment once and then either my 20 minutes were up (it was taking a very long time to click each thing and submit each step) or the website decided it hated me, and I got booted back to the queue in position 1.2 million.

So, gently caress me, I guess.

Also, P.S. to Ravensburger, that's called demand, guys. Try to meet it next time.

Exactly same thing happened to me, it sucked.

I feel a little bad for them too if they were indeed getting ddosed since that just makes the continuing fiasco over their inability to meet demand and the gouging local stores worse. My lgs is advertising a draft for $50 entry fee which is absurd (they at least have the sense of shame to list the price as "price of packs needed" and no actual number close by).

Saltpowered posted:

Lost to demand and bots. Ravensburger is just so far over their head trying to support this game. It’s a very fun game that is easy to teach and can have a lot of depth. They have a hit that they will piss away through being unable to figure this poo poo out.

This is like when WotC couldn’t support Pokemon appropriately.

I think the Enchanted chase cards were a mistake but the One Ring mtg mania may have screwed them with the investors and scalpers. Pretty much every card has plummeted in value to what they probably should be in a healthy market so I think without those hundred dollar cards people wouldn't be trying so hard to get the lottery wins and product would be selling more reasonably.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 21, 2023

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
So either through incompetence or poor decisions, Ravensburger had everything for sale at 6AM this morning with no notice.

Consider there was no notice and it was hastily taken down, I assume incompetence. There were limits per order but no limit to number of orders so some resellers purchased dozens of boxes and posted about it on social media.

What an absolute shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lmao