Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I signed up for the Amazon things, it was very easy to do and did not involve six hour queues.

Surprising nobody, they at least know how to pre-sell a product with extremely high demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Did they already send you some links?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Yiggy posted:

Did they already send you some links?
No, just confirmation emails that my request was received. But compare this queue and the signup process thereof to Ravensburger’s complete loving debacle; I went to a webpage, it loaded, I clicked three buttons, nothing crashed, and if I get in they’ll let me know and I’ll have 72 hours so there’s no rush.

Again, it’s almost like Amazon knows how to move product at scale or something.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't think I've ever seen a queue system for a high demand item not explode and piss off everyone. The lottery email was stuff sounds vastly superior..

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Singles prices are on a downward trend, and it looks like another restock of chapter 1 on the 22nd.

This guy seems like a budget monster. He’s in the starter deck, and paired with pawsickle and Nick

you’ve got some real card advantage. Synergies with Noi, a very good 2 drop

and does something with Fishbone or coconut basket when your done with them. This tech slots really well into a lot of deck half’s like Amber healing, red aggro/removal, purple control.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yeah Sapphire straight up has a better card draw engine than anything Amethyst can muster.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
One good thing about the drops at stores the last week and online is that there appear to be plenty of starters this time. I’ve seen 20+ starters at every store I’ve been the last few days so that should help people get into the game.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This was the special Lorcana only line before the exhibit hall officially opened today at PAX Unplugged.

At 3 pm in the afternoon, when I got my lunch break, I thought I'd walk over to the Ravensburger booth and see how they were doing. I was greeted with the sight of literally hundreds of Floodborn booster boxes and them having a basically infinite amount of boosters and starters. So I got to walk up with no line, simply ask for the things I wanted, and buy them for MSRP. Like it's a product for sale, or something crazy like that.

But it does seem like Ravensburger is learning, because this is miles away from how completely unprepared they were at GenCon.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah Sapphire straight up has a better card draw engine than anything Amethyst can muster.

Eh, Amethyst has pure card draw, while Sapphire has more moving parts for the same effect. Though Amethyst now gets fun card drawing (and filtering, and lore gain, and challenging) engine shenanigans with Merlin/Arthur/Madam Mim, so there is that.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

I did a 1st chapter draft last night. Went 3-0. I have drafted a lot in MTG, and this is very different. Basically, open 4 packs, end up with a stack of 48 cards, and you should cut 8 of them. No color restrictions, just minimum 40. Deck construction basically happens while you’re picking.

It’s neat to see cards that don’t get play get some play. Most of my games ended at 6 ink. Bodyguard and evasive have high value. My MVP of the night was the 3x Maximus (3/3 1 lore, 3 inkable, -2 to attack to target turn comes into play) since it usually could cause some good combat interactions in my favor. Mad Hatter is also stupid good (2/5 3 lore, 5 inkable, draw a card when challenged). Some of the cards I thought would be bombs were not, I got a dr fac, agent provocateur ( 4/5 3 lore, 7 uninkable, 5 shift, if a character dies on your turn in a challenge, return to hand). Games ended at 5 or 6, and being uninkable at 7 made him unplayable.

Not my favorite format, since there isn’t any reading of packs in the drafting format. I haven’t done sealed yet so I’d like to try that.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Showed up at my usual supermarket last night at the exact time people were restocking Lorcana, grabbed some starter decks and boosters. Didn't pull anything valuable, but still good to have some physical cards. :toot:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ulta posted:

I did a 1st chapter draft last night. Went 3-0. I have drafted a lot in MTG, and this is very different. Basically, open 4 packs, end up with a stack of 48 cards, and you should cut 8 of them. No color restrictions, just minimum 40. Deck construction basically happens while you’re picking.

It’s neat to see cards that don’t get play get some play. Most of my games ended at 6 ink. Bodyguard and evasive have high value. My MVP of the night was the 3x Maximus (3/3 1 lore, 3 inkable, -2 to attack to target turn comes into play) since it usually could cause some good combat interactions in my favor. Mad Hatter is also stupid good (2/5 3 lore, 5 inkable, draw a card when challenged). Some of the cards I thought would be bombs were not, I got a dr fac, agent provocateur ( 4/5 3 lore, 7 uninkable, 5 shift, if a character dies on your turn in a challenge, return to hand). Games ended at 5 or 6, and being uninkable at 7 made him unplayable.

Not my favorite format, since there isn’t any reading of packs in the drafting format. I haven’t done sealed yet so I’d like to try that.

Seems like draft would be a rough format because making the rule “you can play whatever color you want” would completely flatten the flavor of each deck, but making it “you can only play 2 colors” turns 60% of your deck into basic lands, ugh.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Here's a breakdown of the top decks from the GalaxyCon Lorcana 2k.

https://youtu.be/QSy1QTQe2W8?si=mZ0TDUBdkCk1FUE7
Lists: https://inkdecks.com/lorcana-tournaments/ppg-galaxycon-lorcana-2k-bo3-tournament-decks-148

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Finally got around to introducing game to my 7 y.o. We played hands-face-up games and talked through everything, moved really slowly. Lots of reminders and tip giving. Kiddo has a natural, non-confrontational hesitancy towards using characters for challenges and prefers to just quest race on lore. They are on amber amethyst starter and I've been on sapphire steel. The reception is positive but I can tell we're going to be moving fairly slowly and probably just jamming unaltered starters for a good while.

DalaranJ posted:

Seems like draft would be a rough format because making the rule “you can play whatever color you want” would completely flatten the flavor of each deck, but making it “you can only play 2 colors” turns 60% of your deck into basic lands, ugh.

Feels like the next half step to me would be rather to allow three color, maybe four color, draft decks vs. eliminating the card distinction entirely. There have been one or two draft formats over the last couple of years in MTG that age into a meta where everyone is trying to construct the 5-color good stuff deck and once that gels I find those to be really tedious drafting formats. Whereas having some color restriction still in lorcana would allow the existence of something like color pairing lanes and interesting draft choice decisions beyond "What is best card in pack flat stat wise".

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

All the decks I played against (and played) all felt the same. Lots of cards that don’t see constructed play got play, but there were some clear trends.

Yah, either you have to open twice as many pack (then just play sealed), limit to 20 card decks (interesting but I think bombs would be too powerful because decks would be too consistent), or say all cards are uninkable, you can have as many of these “basic inks” as you like (too weird).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Next expansion: Into the Inklands.

New mechanic with Locations, no information on how they work yet, and our first non-animated movie properties: DuckTales and TaleSpin! It's '90s afternoon TV time, apparently.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They're already at their third set? I have never seen this game available for purchase at a store.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I saw an empty shelf at Target where it was sold out, does that count?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I actually saw some at an LGS recently. It was a nice change.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

CapnAndy posted:

I actually saw some at an LGS recently. It was a nice change.

They scalping? Even the "good nice" LGSes locally are scalping.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

They scalping? Even the "good nice" LGSes locally are scalping.
$7.99/booster. Above MSRP, but I wouldn't call it scalping.

There's another very not nice LGS that absolutely is scalping, I've complained about them previously. And not just cranking prices, I mean I'm almost certain they're the guys out there meeting the delivery drivers with a bribe of a few $20s to buy the booster boxes right off the truck.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I've seen some at the local game store but they were $12 a pack which is pretty laughable but I guess people are still buying for that high.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

CapnAndy posted:

Next expansion: Into the Inklands.

New mechanic with Locations, no information on how they work yet, and our first non-animated movie properties: DuckTales and TaleSpin! It's '90s afternoon TV time, apparently.

Are we going full MTG now where the new set has been out a week and already they're dropping spoilers for the next? Would be cool if you could actually find these things anywhere.

Also those sideways "locations" are straight out of the 90's Star Wars tcg

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Can’t wait for a year from now and we’ve got Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz - Nickle Collector and Zack and Cody - Hotel Pranksters

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Fish Of Doom posted:

Are we going full MTG now where the new set has been out a week and already they're dropping spoilers for the next? Would be cool if you could actually find these things anywhere.

I wonder if they can just flat out eventually roll Star Wars into it the way the licenses are currently apportioned and agreed.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

My extremely unlikely hope is still for a Disney Parks expansion. Let me play the Orange Bird at Spaceship Earth and then tap him to sing It's Tough To Be A Bug.

Fish Of Doom posted:

If you're saying that like it's a bad thing I will fight you

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fish Of Doom posted:

Rise of the Floodborn was released mid-November (Big Box store release is 2 weeks after small store release) and is having locations printed in landscape format supposed to be a bad thing?

Edit: And for what it's worth, Magic has gotten to the point where spoiler season for the next set starts before the current set is actually released.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 6, 2023

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Ulta posted:

Can’t wait for a year from now and we’ve got Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz - Nickle Collector and Zack and Cody - Hotel Pranksters

Tron themed wave. Black Hole. Zorro. Condorman. Not Quite Human. Do it Ravensburger. Mine ALL the things.

CapnAndy posted:

My extremely unlikely hope is still for a Disney Parks expansion. Let me play the Orange Bird at Spaceship Earth and then tap him to sing It's Tough To Be A Bug.

If you're saying that like it's a bad thing I will fight you

All of this. Defunct attractions too. I want to put down the House of Tomorrow.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Failson posted:

All of this. Defunct attractions too. I want to put down the House of Tomorrow.
SIR, Malevolent Receptionist and Alien, Encountered will define a meta!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I exhaust Captain EO to sing the Song of the South.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ulta posted:

Touchstone Pictures expansion when

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Four Expansions a year, the two week LGS -> Big Box gap, two months of previews... We're basically always in Lorcana preview season, forever and ever.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Touchstone Pictures expansion when

*GASP*

An entire wave dedicated to the Ernest P. Worrell franchise.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Randalor posted:

is having locations printed in landscape format supposed to be a bad thing?

Never said it was a bad thing, I loved the Decipher Star Wars ccg as a kid. Just saying they also had landscape locations with various stats along the border.

CapnAndy posted:

If this game lasts more than a few years, I think we'll absolutely see park characters like Figment or the Hitchhiking Ghosts make their way into it. They're already branching into the Disney Afternoon stuff.

Where's my Bonkers card?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
If anyone wants an Enchanted Cinderella I'd do $40 off tcgplayer

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'd do the same for Aurora.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
My one criticism of the locations is the cost being vertical while everything else horizontal is stupid looking.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Foolster41 posted:

My one criticism of the locations is the cost being vertical while everything else horizontal is stupid looking.
I imagine it's so that you can fan it out in your hand without doing big obvious HEY I'VE GOT A LOCATION signals.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
oh true, that'd be awkward to have it the other way in your hand, good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"Location" cards being in landscape (hmm) is the presentation in pretty much every TCG/LCG I've ever played. The Call of Cthulhu one did the same thing, as does the MTG Planechase set.

I remember my friend made a Decipher Star Wars deck back in the day that's whole gameplan was to drop the cantina as his only location and stuff it with weird aliens.