Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm really enjoying this game, this is the first game my wife wanted to join an actual league for (as opposed to our makeshift at-home leagues for going through booster boxes) and even though it's just thr first set, there is a decent amount of thematic decks you can do for the color pairings. Also just fun dumb gimmicky decks. I'll get my Amethyst/Steel Broom.dec to work one of these days! Especially once Merlin comes out.

Edit:

Kyrosiris posted:

They're still $45 per, and even basic rares like Lilo are $15. Still loving exorbitant.

Isn't Lilo the exception to the rule for prices on rares though? Aren't most sub-$10, if not sub-$5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I think I just used up all my luck for the rest of my life? Last card from the five packs I picked up on lunch at Target

Great pull, Mrs Randalor pulled the enchanted Aurora and is still debating on what to do with it. I voted for "put it into a deck and feign ignorance".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yiggy posted:

The LGS had a restock at msrp but they limited to three packs of each set per customer. I dragged the kid along to get our packs.

Similar to magic, can you build a playable deck off a sealed pool in 6 packs? Or will I really want to supplement a starter deck with these? Any insight would be helpful before I start involving/teaching the kid.

Get the starters if you can, they're surprisingly not-terrible and while there are some cards that are outright bad, (I think) they all contain staple cards for their colors.

Well, the first 3 starters, no idea about the other 2. But they're decent starting places to build off of.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I pulled an enchanted Sisu and a (non-enchanted) Dragon Mim from our booster box, so I'm happy. I'm honestly curious if a dragon deck will be possible one day. Mrs Randalor got some of the new yellow Mickeys for her Musketeers deck, along with some new sword Cinderellas.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah Sapphire straight up has a better card draw engine than anything Amethyst can muster.

Eh, Amethyst has pure card draw, while Sapphire has more moving parts for the same effect. Though Amethyst now gets fun card drawing (and filtering, and lore gain, and challenging) engine shenanigans with Merlin/Arthur/Madam Mim, so there is that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fish Of Doom posted:

Are we going full MTG now where the new set has been out a week and already they're dropping spoilers for the next? Would be cool if you could actually find these things anywhere.

Also those sideways "locations" are straight out of the 90's Star Wars tcg

Rise of the Floodborn was released mid-November (Big Box store release is 2 weeks after small store release) and is having locations printed in landscape format supposed to be a bad thing?

Edit: And for what it's worth, Magic has gotten to the point where spoiler season for the next set starts before the current set is actually released.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 6, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ulta posted:

FLGS had full boxes of chapter 1 for sale. Best Buy had stock, but I had to ask at the register. GameStop same, except I got a D100 box. It’s too bad none of those cards are good, because they look sick

The Mickey is pretty good in a Musketeers Tabard deck. But yeah, they're all cheap cards and you're just buying them for the alt-art.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

At least both Mulan and Hades have potential (I've used the red Mulan in my FLGS's constructed league and with a few weenies out and a way to ready her, she can easily get you an extra 4-6 lore a turn, the yellow Hades just needs some more villains to get going).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

That Ursula is gonna be a big shock to the meta. I can see Amber aggro getting paired with Emerald to be a formidable deck.

Hell, her tag-teaming with Madam Mim.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

4 Pongo and 56 pups might be fun to try, the Pongos would mean that you're drawing up to 5 cards a turn (wait, can each one be used once or is it a flat once per turn?) and you'd be guaranteed an ink drop. And who cards if a pup or 10 die in a challenge, you have more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The new recuring song Ursula seems like she would be hilarious with the new purple Jafar that gives you lore whenever you draw a card while he's exerted. Suddenly singing "Friends on the other side" becomes "Draw 4, gain 4 lore".