Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I wanted to get this to enjoy with my Mickey-loving son but the best we can do is get a booster every time we're at the FLGS which is limiting them to one per day per household. I will not reward scalpers and hope the October wave and 2024 reprint leave them holding a colossal bag.

Right now I'm pondering either seeing if there's viable "pauper" decks that can be made out of commons/UCs for cheap, or just doing print and play for the home. Kind of a bummer supply is so throttled when enthusiasm is at its highest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's a shame they clearly never put the name of the game through school bully user acceptance screening; giving them the easy layup of "dork-ana"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Finally got a hold of a couple starters without paying the turboscalper troll toll thanks to a fellow goon and got to play with the kids. The Magic loving kid loved it and wanted to play again and again. The Mickey loving kid liked it pretty well. I'll up-gun them with some rares out of the few boosters we've collected and we'll play some more over the weekend.

My partner even seemed to enjoy it and suggested she might like it if I built her a Little Mermaid themed deck, which I'll look to do when supply makes the singles market continue to chill. Looking at the card list looks like that would be an amber-amethyst deck that tries to use song synergy to generate card advantage off the Shell Necklace while benefiting from the songs themselves with the headliners being Ariel Spectacular Singer and Ursula Power Hungry. Shame a lot of the cast (triton, flounder) is sitting in Sapphire but they're current incarnations are vanilla nobodies anyway. Given the card pool I'll have to dillute the mer-theme a bit but I'm sure when expansions start dropping there will be more fin for the win.

E: Here's my first crack at it:

3 Ariel - Spectacular Singer
4 Be Our Guest
4 Part of Your World
4 Ursula's Shell Necklace
4 Friends On The Other Side
3 Ariel - On Human Legs
3 Sebastian - Court Composer
3 Ursula - Power Hungry
3 Flotsam - Ursula's Spy
3 Jetsam - Ursula's Spy
4 Freeze
2 Prince Phillip - Dragonslayer
2 Stitch - New Dog
3 Heihei - Boat Snack
2 Hakuna Matata
4 Maleficent - Sorceress
3 Elsa - Snow Queen
3 Anna - Heir to Arendelle
3 Hades - Lord of the Underworld

It uses songs to generate card advantage/selection and recur characters. Freeze and Elsa tap down anyone we want to challenge before they quest. Flotsam and Jetsam can help us bash them, and Prince Phillip is a suicide nuke we can recur with Hades and Part of Your World. Once we're comfortably ahead on card count and disrupted their board, Ursula starts shutting the door. IDK I'm bringing a lot of assumptions from Magic and a handful of starter deck games, but with one set and only two colors per deck we'll see.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 16, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Got a couple boosters on a lark and the boy pulled the alternate treatment aurora dreaming guardian

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Eggplant Squire posted:

Is physical stores selling boosters for 12 bucks a pack standard or is that just my local game store?

In my area even the "good, nice" stores are scalping a little over MSRP, :10bux: typically, and one booster per day per household

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I got the new starters and played with the kids and amethyst and steel play pattern of bouncing your guys for incremental advantage is surprisingly fun.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

just make it an LCG and print it to demand, this poo poo sucks for anyone who actually wants to run a league or otherwise, you know, play the game.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

Oh 55% off, it's 55% off? That's the MSRP Amazon.

that's what the msrp is supposed to be in real life in the world, it just never gets sold that way.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What's the easiest way to unload an enchanted card I cracked? I don't want to mess around with ebay or anything, is there a reliable FB group or w/e? Not looking to get absolute top dollar.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The trade groups I joined to list my Enchanted Aurora are abuzz with entire displays bought out by scalpers with the shrink still on them marked up as much as 200%.

If you didn't slip the overnight stock guy at the retailer a few twenties, probably don't bother.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

I actually saw some at an LGS recently. It was a nice change.

They scalping? Even the "good nice" LGSes locally are scalping.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Fish Of Doom posted:

Are we going full MTG now where the new set has been out a week and already they're dropping spoilers for the next? Would be cool if you could actually find these things anywhere.

Also those sideways "locations" are straight out of the 90's Star Wars tcg

I wonder if they can just flat out eventually roll Star Wars into it the way the licenses are currently apportioned and agreed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I exhaust Captain EO to sing the Song of the South.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'd do the same for Aurora.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"Location" cards being in landscape (hmm) is the presentation in pretty much every TCG/LCG I've ever played. The Call of Cthulhu one did the same thing, as does the MTG Planechase set.

I remember my friend made a Decipher Star Wars deck back in the day that's whole gameplan was to drop the cantina as his only location and stuff it with weird aliens.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

calling a shot:

Wreck it Ralph will appear in the next set as anti-location tech because come on

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I built 4 decks of varying quality and took them to the league night with the fam. Pretty fun, but wasn't really able to make a deck around the theme my daughter would have liked with what we had from some boosters and starters.

What's a good "Aladdin" deck on a reasonable budget?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dang.

Steelsong was gonna be too expensive to build in paper anyway.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Friend Like Me is for putting Belle SBS over the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The juice probably isn't worth the squeeze esp. with them just starting to get their hands around shortage issues, but spitballing:

Have call them "Event Packs" with like 15 replacement level or lower commons/uncommons of a single color.
After everyone's last pick, they grab 2 Event Packs of different colors of their choice. You have to start thinking about what colors you're locked into by pack 2, maybe you think a little more about mechanical synergies and archetypes, the draft can be less "goodstuff.dec," and there's a guardrail to make sure you have enough playables.

Probably too logistically unworkable to print, distribute, get enough to retailers... but one way to keep it less a contest of who cracked and assembled the grossest pile of bombs.