Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Fresh off of almost causing a riot at GenCon and following that up with immediately selling out everywhere it went on sale, it's Disney's first CCG: Lorcana!

What is Lorcana? You are an Illumineer, wielding magical ink to create "glimmers" -- copies of your favorite Disney characters in forms both familiar and new, identical in all respects to the real ones, but not actually the real ones, which is why it's okay for Elsa to team up with Hades and murk Minnie Mouse. With your deck full of Disney Magic™, you'll quest for forgotten lore to, um... do something. It's not really clear. Just keep singing "Hakuna Matata" until you stop worrying about it.

No, really, you should sing that. It's a pretty good card.

Oh, I like Disney characters. Who can I add to my deck? Lorcana currently contains elements from the following films/franchises:
  • 101 Dalmations
  • Aladdin
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Classic Disney characters (Mickey Mouse et al.)
  • Cinderella
  • The Emperor's New Groove
  • Frozen
  • Hercules
  • Lilo and Stitch
  • The Little Mermaid
  • The Lion King
  • Moana
  • Mulan
  • Peter Pan
  • The Princess and the Frog
  • Robin Hood
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Snow White
  • The Sword in the Stone
  • Tangled
  • Treasure Planet
  • Winnie the Pooh
They have the rights to all of Disney's animated works, including shorts, so expect that list to grow in the future. If you're wondering about other studios, live-action movies, or things that weren't films at all, well... so is everybody else. The Lorcana team has said that limiting themselves initially to only Disney animated films was a creative choice, but nobody knows just what Disney granted them the rights to and what's off-limits. So, Pixar characters? Probably a safe bet. A Disney Parks-themed set? Niche, but who knows. Marvel or Star Wars crossing over? Probably not, but then again, nobody's explicitly ruled it out.

How do I play? As a game meant to appeal to a pretty young age, the rules of Lorcana are simple and fit on only two pages. Here they are so you can read them for yourself. There are only three card types and no interaction during your opponent's turn, so learning the game is painless and the games themselves are quick and easy.

Each turn, you can choose to convert one eligible card in your hand to ink. A lack of dedicated resource cards is Lorcana's core gimmick; instead, most cards in your deck can be turned into your casting resource. (Ideally, this means you can't draw dead, because a card that's useless to you in your current situation can become valuable by being inked.) You then use your ink to cast any cards you want to play from your hand. Characters who've been on the board since the start of your turn can challenge opposing characters or quest to gain lore, but be careful -- doing either exerts (Lorcana's term for tapping) them, leaving them vulnerable to enemy challenges in turn! Turns do not have phases, so you can do any combination of legal actions you like in whatever order you want. First player to 20 lore wins.

As a game that currently only has its starter set released and no meta to speak of yet due to the whole nobody-can-buy-any situation, there are currently no complicated mechanics or specific synergies to learn. Heck, the colors don't really have strongly defined identities yet, so pick whatever you like best and make a deck out of it.

Is this game any good, or is it just coasting on the Disney license? It's simple, by design, but it's fun. Your characters are safe when doing nothing and vulnerable while questing, but if you don't quest, you can't win. You have to balance risk vs. reward, choosing moments when it's worth it to send them out and when it's smarter to stand back and dare your opponent to expose themselves to danger in turn. Also, the ink system is neat and has real potential. Right now it has some issues -- it tends to drain your entire hand and leave you topdecking for the latter half of the game -- but nothing that an expansion or two can't fix.

That said, will your experience be enhanced if you find gameplay leading to sentences like "I was winning until he kept singing Be Prepared" or "Captain Hook is not a Princess" inherently amusing? Yes, it absolutely will be.

That sounds nice, but I'm a more competitive sort. Got anything for me? Sure do! Ravensburger, the publisher of the game, has announced plans to provide support for a Lorcana Organized Play League. It's not meant to be super competitive, just a way to encourage people to come out and play, so the prizes on offer are pins and promo reprints of already existing cards, but it's still something. Currently, Ravensburger has been silent on the topics of more serious tournament-level support or Regional/National/Worlds championships. They might be announced later, or they might not. However, Ravensburger has posted the official tournament rules, and they seem built to encompass major events, so it seems more likely than not that they're coming in the future.

In the mean time, you can contact your local game store to see if they have plans to participate in Organized Play, but nobody's actually running their leagues yet, as nobody has any product to sell and most players don't actually have any cards to build a deck.

Okay, I'm sold. How do I get started? Ha ha, memes are fun. No, but really, haven't you been paying attention? I mentioned that it's sold out everywhere three times. It's sold out everywhere. You can't get any unless you're willing to pay scalpers their exorbitant rates. Don't be willing to do that. More product is coming.

Assuming you're reading this in October when another wave gets shipped out, or in First Quarter 2024 and beyond when a (hopefully) massive reprint of The First Chapter is coming, you can purchase starter decks and booster packs at your local gaming store, any big box retailer you can think of, and at shopDisney, Disney's official online store.

To get started, all you need is a deck comprised of at least 60 cards and no more than 2 colors. A starter deck will provide that along with a paper playmat with a lore counter and some damage tokens, but nothing besides the cards is required. There's a free Lorcana app that will track your lore (or you could use a d20 or anything else you have that counts to 20), and any sort of token will do to mark damage, even ripped up pieces of paper.

I'm not really a physical kind of player anyway. What about a digital option? Officially, there isn't one, and Ravensburger has made no mention of having one in development. Unofficially, there's Pixelborn. It's a Unity app created by a small team led by a Bulgarian developer which, technically, is not a Lorcana client. It just lets you play a card game with identical mechanics on your computer with enabled online play, and if some users are downloading copyrighted images to overwrite the default card images in the game, well, they didn't tell them to do that and can't be held responsible for it.

If you too want to get into the exciting world of downloading unsigned code off a Google Drive link to install on your personal computer, you can find the relevant links here, as well as a link to the Pixelborn Discord. And if, on that Discord, you might find instructions on how to download all the Lorcana card images and add them to your Pixelborn client, well... I can't be held responsible for that either.

Legal tapdancing aside, maybe the Pixelborn team gets squashed by a C&D, maybe they're ignored, maybe Ravensburger does the smart thing and hires them, who knows? For now, unless you got extremely lucky or caved to the scalpers, it's the only way to get any games in. And while I had my fun joking about the extremely shady install process, it actually is a safe, stable game client that does the only things it needs to do -- lets you build decks and then play those decks online, either via random matchmaking or in custom games against friends.

What about long-term support? I don't want to buy into a flash in the pan. No worries there. Lorcana's first expansion, the creatively titled The Second Chapter, hits shelves on November 17th. We don't know much about it yet, but it will add Raya and the Last Dragon to the list of represented franchises, along with more Mulan and Winnie the Pooh representation. (And, hopefully, Ravensburger will have learned their lesson about print run sizes.) Ravensburger claims to already have a 10 year plan for expanding the game going forward, and the game couldn't have possibly launched any hotter. It ought to stick around.

Get in, loser! We're giving swords to princesses.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hi! This is the Lorcana thread. I'm saving this post in case I need it later, but in the mean time, please have fun posting about how singing Be Our Guest is a sub-optimal play when you could be dropping another copy of Lilo for less ink.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Framboise posted:

I intend to look into this as soon as I can pay not scalper prices for it. MTG is already my big money TCG, I don't need more than one.

So what are good archetypes to look into? I saw that there was a giant Tinker Bell, and stomping on people sounds fun. But is it good?
I don't know if Giant Tink is in any meta decks right now, but she's good. She works well in Steel's nascent identity of doing a lot of direct damage without needing to challenge.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Foolster41 posted:

How could you forget tigger?
My bad. I fixed it.

goodness posted:

Yeah, if they bring sw/marvel/other stuff like that into it, I hope it is costumes for the disney characters and not actual characters. Vader goofy, spiderman stitch, etc.
por que no los dos? Give me storyborn Vader and dreamborn "Vader, except he's an evil knight" and floodborn Goofy wearing a Vader costume.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Well apparently everybody knew that bit about GameStop getting their stock today. There are six stores local to me; my brother was able to get 8 packs at one of them. Everywhere else was sold out within an hour or never got any. (Also, the one store with product didn't have much, because apparently someone stole a bunch of it off the FedEx truck.) Whatever print run Ravensburger is thinking about for the future, I think maybe add another zero onto the end of it.

Also there are six GameStops within 10 miles of my house, no wonder the fuckers are going out of business.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Tournament rules got posted even though they're still listed as "Coming Soon" on the website. It does seem to answer the "will there be more serious tournaments" question, as these are clearly built to encompass major events.

Tournament matches are 2 out of 3 games, but more interesting to note is that for sealed events, the two color restriction falls off, and you can build a deck with anything you pull. Makes Sealed more flexible, and for Draft it means you can't read any signals in what colors you're being passed; if you see a lot of Ruby it doesn't mean nobody else is in Ruby, it means nobody's seen any Ruby cards they like yet.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 11, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

That Disney 100 collector's box says it has Rise of the Floodborn boosters inside, so I initially thought The Second Chapter was getting renamed, but the preview cards still have a 2 in their collector's info and not RoF or anything. Anyone know what's up? Third set name or TSC getting a rename?

Pretty good cards in that preview, and I'm extremely amused by the expansion of the "Maurice's inventions actually worked and everyone is steampunk" Beauty and the Beast alternate universe. Smart Gaston isn't very good, but he is very funny.

Zero to Hero encouraging Amber's already present zoo tendencies with a card that basically reads "your next character is free" coming in at uncommon is loving insane. We will need to goose-step with many more hyenas to answer this.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

poo poo, maybe I oughta sell what scant rares I've got. They're not doing me any good at the moment.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I think I just used up all my luck for the rest of my life? Last card from the five packs I picked up on lunch at Target

I cannot fathom the amount of luck it took to find boosters at Target, let alone that pull.

goodness posted:

Though I would sell it for ~$800 and buy it back next year for $100.
Me too, for the record.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Saltpowered posted:

Getting Chapter One before next year is just going to be lucking out and being there when something gets stocked. I would say you could camp the big box stores or learn the route of excel marketing in your area but the scalpers are already way ahead of you.
I had a really odious encounter with a LGS that actually had Lorcana in stock -- for $15 a pack, and the owner practically sneered at me when I asked if there was a chance prices might get closer to MSRP when more stock comes out in October. So I've got a feeling I met the dude who's camping all the local big boxes every week.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

e: oh hey, didn't see that edit.

Per an email from Ravensburger, the 2024 reprint has been moved up to Holiday 2023 (whenever that is) and will include Rise of the Floodborn.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Well, on that topic, post from Lorcana on Facebook:

quote:

Disney Lorcana fans! We have some exciting updates to share.

First of all, the October booster pack restock will begin to roll out at local game stores in North America starting next week. The reprint of The First Chapter boosters and starters is moved up, and will begin shipping mid November in North America. We hope that this reprint quantity will make the game more readily available. Our goal is for fans to have no difficulty finding product to get started.

Next, we want to announce that starting in Q2 2024, we will have both official fan events and an official competitive circuit. Fan events will be a way for Disney fans to come together to share their love of Disney Lorcana even if they may not necessarily play the game. Competitive events will be the premiere place for Disney Lorcana TCG players to prove themselves. You can also expect exclusives for each of these types of events, and we will share more details in January 2024.

While we have tournament guidelines and other policies live on the official Disney Lorcana site, we will provide regular updates as we align globally and take in feedback from our players to make competitive play the best experience we can.

Lastly, we’ve recently announced a change to convention promos. Going forward, convention promos will no longer have the logo of the convention on them, but there will be three new cards available for each set with a promo icon in the rarity spot. These cards have slight differences to the foil pattern compared to the cards found in the booster packs. When we are attending conventions in any region, we will announce how you can obtain promo cards, you might even be able to get all three at one event!

Thank you for all of your feedback and excitement surrounding Disney Lorcana TCG! We want this to be a thriving community for years to come, and can’t wait to kick off more official events soon!
Also has images of three new cards, and the trend of renaming songs from Beauty and the Beast for no apparent reason continues, as "Gaston" is apparently now titled "Four Dozen Eggs"???

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

loving yowzers.

Combo him with Tinkerbell, Giant Fairy or Grab Your Sword (or a lot of Steel cards really) and just sit back and wipe out your opponent's entire board at zero risk to yourself.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Eggplant Squire posted:

Is physical stores selling boosters for 12 bucks a pack standard or is that just my local game store?
The Facebook group I'm on (that is of very limited help in actually finding product) makes it seem like a lot of retailers are doubling up and selling boosters at $10/pack.

Meanwhile the LGS that I have a really good relationship with and would absolutely hold product for me keeps not loving getting any shipments, argh.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

So does anyone actually get to PLAY the game or is it just a bunch of scalpers and hoarders sitting on «collectibles» hoping the value will go up? (Which i am assuming it won’t if no one actually gets to play)
I fuckin' don't. Neither LGS I frequent is running anything resembling organized play yet.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Saltpowered posted:

Ravensburger is already doing another printing of set 2 and the third reprint of set 1 so at some point there should be enough to get sealed product back down to MSRP.
That's news to me, but welcome. I would like to actually play this goddamn game at some point.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I just went to their website to check on what's going on based on that post and it stuck me in a queue and told me the queue is opening at 1:05 EST, so... hop in if you see this post before then, I guess.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I had a wonderful place in line right until the website crashed and I had to refresh, which booted me to the back of the queue. Probably. It can't actually re-queue me without crashing again. Well done, Ravensburger.

e: I think their entire site has crashed now.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 20, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Oh good I found a thread I can complain about this in. Someone needs to take this license from Ravensburger because they have no idea what they're doing.
I'd phrase it more as that they need to go poach some executives from WotC, Decipher, Pokemon Company, and anyone else who makes TCGs. Because they absolutely have no idea what they're doing, they are a board game company who got handed what seems to be the third biggest TCG license in the world, and they made a really fun game with it, but they have no idea how to publish it.

Website's back up but the queue is "paused", btw. RIP to my ~1200 place in the old queue.

e: I say that, and it crashes again, christ.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Well, now it's just comedy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I got into the store, filled my cart, and even attempted to submit payment once and then either my 20 minutes were up (it was taking a very long time to click each thing and submit each step) or the website decided it hated me, and I got booted back to the queue in position 1.2 million.

So, gently caress me, I guess.

Also, P.S. to Ravensburger, that's called demand, guys. Try to meet it next time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Eggplant Squire posted:

I feel a little bad for them too if they were indeed getting ddosed
I reiterate my belief that they were not. I'm sure they were seeing a bunch of requests from the same IP address, because people were in the queue on multiple devices/browsers/tabs, and I'm sure their servers were getting slammed way beyond their capacity to deal with it, because this product is in heavy demand. Whatever they got hit with yesterday should be assumed to be the actual amount of customers they have to service, and should be kept in mind for future sales and print runs.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I signed up for the Amazon things, it was very easy to do and did not involve six hour queues.

Surprising nobody, they at least know how to pre-sell a product with extremely high demand.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Yiggy posted:

Did they already send you some links?
No, just confirmation emails that my request was received. But compare this queue and the signup process thereof to Ravensburger’s complete loving debacle; I went to a webpage, it loaded, I clicked three buttons, nothing crashed, and if I get in they’ll let me know and I’ll have 72 hours so there’s no rush.

Again, it’s almost like Amazon knows how to move product at scale or something.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This was the special Lorcana only line before the exhibit hall officially opened today at PAX Unplugged.

At 3 pm in the afternoon, when I got my lunch break, I thought I'd walk over to the Ravensburger booth and see how they were doing. I was greeted with the sight of literally hundreds of Floodborn booster boxes and them having a basically infinite amount of boosters and starters. So I got to walk up with no line, simply ask for the things I wanted, and buy them for MSRP. Like it's a product for sale, or something crazy like that.

But it does seem like Ravensburger is learning, because this is miles away from how completely unprepared they were at GenCon.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Next expansion: Into the Inklands.

New mechanic with Locations, no information on how they work yet, and our first non-animated movie properties: DuckTales and TaleSpin! It's '90s afternoon TV time, apparently.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I actually saw some at an LGS recently. It was a nice change.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

They scalping? Even the "good nice" LGSes locally are scalping.
$7.99/booster. Above MSRP, but I wouldn't call it scalping.

There's another very not nice LGS that absolutely is scalping, I've complained about them previously. And not just cranking prices, I mean I'm almost certain they're the guys out there meeting the delivery drivers with a bribe of a few $20s to buy the booster boxes right off the truck.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

My extremely unlikely hope is still for a Disney Parks expansion. Let me play the Orange Bird at Spaceship Earth and then tap him to sing It's Tough To Be A Bug.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Also those sideways "locations" are straight out of the 90's Star Wars tcg
If you're saying that like it's a bad thing I will fight you

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Failson posted:

All of this. Defunct attractions too. I want to put down the House of Tomorrow.
SIR, Malevolent Receptionist and Alien, Encountered will define a meta!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Foolster41 posted:

My one criticism of the locations is the cost being vertical while everything else horizontal is stupid looking.
I imagine it's so that you can fan it out in your hand without doing big obvious HEY I'VE GOT A LOCATION signals.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Saltpowered posted:

Even before locations are out I think we’ll see some of this calm down with more product availability. Speaking of, there is lots more product out there now. WM/Target/B&N are getting stocked weekly and I’ve seen plenty of first chapter every time I’ve been.

Booster box prices on TCGplayer for tfc have crashed to close to MSRP. Floodborne is still hard to find but that should resolve itself in a few weeks.
The crash is mostly a good thing. Except for yesterday when I pulled a foil Belle, Hidden Archer and found out I would've been rich if I'd pulled it last week.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Muir posted:

Just got my Amazon invite to order the Floodborn Amber and Sapphire starter deck. It took a few tries at checkout as it said the seller (Amazon itself) didn't have any more available a few times, then it went through. No invite for the boosters yet.
Same and same -- invites for both starters, but no booster box.

I got the starters at retail at PAX Unplugged, but I think I'll buy one for my brother for a Hannukah present.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

My local Target had a few Floodborn booster packs and more starter decks than I could count. Nature does seem to be healing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Ulta posted:

Purple getting healing that is just transfer is some interesting flavor on a probably mid card.

Well, agree to disagree then, I thought that one was the clear standout. It's 6 ink, uninkable, and no shift cost, but especially teamed up with Amethyst's aggro friend Ruby, it's a hell of an enabler. Send someone in on a challenge and then quest with her to heal them and either kill an opposing character or set them up for the kill.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Why do I want characters to be at locations? I still don't understand that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Tiana's Palace seems massively busted. It's basically an 8 HP bodyguard for 3 ink, with passive lore generation on top of that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ITL booster boxes are widely available for pre-order at $20 less than MSRP on tcgplayer and eBay. That's a really promising sign for availability.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Yay! I got paid!

Should I buy a box of Inklands, or she'll out the extra for a box of Chapter 1.
It's probably more economical to just buy the Chapter 1 stuff you want, I'd think.

Also with IIL and its flood of dalmatians I am currently workshopping a Dog Deck on Pixelborn where, ideally, in the final product all my characters are either dalmatians, Stitch, or Pluto. I feel like it needs locations just because everything does, but I haven't figured out a really useful one yet. All the dogs are in Amber so I can splash whatever. Right now I have Steel just so I can play Map to Treasure Planet and Bayou and put all the dogs there for free, but it feels pretty underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I am genuinely shocked that pure Sapphire ramp using Grandma Tala, Spirit of the Ocean and Belle, Strange but Special to win just... isn't a thing. Nobody found a way to make that work, really? It seemed like such a slam dunk.