Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Framboise posted:

I intend to look into this as soon as I can pay not scalper prices for it. MTG is already my big money TCG, I don't need more than one.

Same. Mostly as something to play with the kiddo. But not interested in picking up or starting anything they wouldn't like and paying scalper prices for it. Or even worse, what if the kid likes it and product is always prohibitively expensive. Woof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Ineptitude posted:

So does anyone actually get to PLAY the game or is it just a bunch of scalpers and hoarders sitting on «collectibles» hoping the value will go up? (Which i am assuming it won’t if no one actually gets to play)

It took awhile but a family member on the other side of the country was able to find non-marked up starters and a few packs (at least it tracked with the MSRP I was googling) so I'm hoping to sit down and learn it with my kid. I'm going in fairly naive aside from knowing that Lorcana is a CCG. This will be an experience but will probably not give me much of a real feel for playing lorcana in a earnest, competitive sense like I'm used to with MTG. My LGS isn't really organizing much yet. They have some sort of league where they give people tasks but what they're doing is not self-evident from their face book posts. Its not any sort of straight up tournament night or whatever, not even sure if they're setting up matches it seems rather vague because the critical mass of players seems wanting.

Still, excited to learn a new game like a kid again.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

The LGS had a restock at msrp but they limited to three packs of each set per customer. I dragged the kid along to get our packs.

Similar to magic, can you build a playable deck off a sealed pool in 6 packs? Or will I really want to supplement a starter deck with these? Any insight would be helpful before I start involving/teaching the kid.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

So I had a few devices queued and what I noticed is that the pause rolled out to some, then crash on some (while others were frozen in queue). Now its back up and the pause has rolled out to everything and it maaay start moving again if they managed to get their heads on straight. Big if.

edit: its unpaused

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 20, 2023

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Eggplant Squire posted:

At this point it's probably both cheaper and less aggravating to just go to TCGplayer and buy the starter decks piecemeal and create them yourself.

This. Even if you insist on a sealed starter, at this point it’s about a wash to just catch one off tcgplayer around 20ish (which they might not be at now but I did see several pop up over the weekend at that price for the floodborn starters) than it would be to drive around town before finding one (or more likely, not). If you found it at the first one or two places you stopped, lucky. Singles is the play if you don’t care about the included booster. If you want the sealed item, then refresh tcgplayer and occasionally one gets listed and scooped shipped around 20-22. MSRP off prime or at my closest LGS would be ideal, sure, but depends on how long you wanna wait I guess.

Ch. 1 starter preorders on Amazon was encouraging though. Bummed I missed the 3 am boxes but oh well.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Chapter 2 starters up at target website.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Yiggy posted:

Chapter 2 starters up at target website.

Gone this morning.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Fish Of Doom posted:

Got up early to go to Best Buy, which was listed on their site as one of the stores to get The First Chapter today. They had absolutely nothing. Cool.

I continue to be baffled by how bad the rollout and distribution of this product is.

Checked two spots locally, Best Buy and BN. Best Buy hadn’t gotten theirs but said they should today but didn’t know when. B&N employee didn’t even need me to ask, they hadn’t received theirs yet. No idea when.

V glad I did not drive out of the way to the Best Buy forty minutes north that was slated to receive Ch. 2 product. Also glad I didn’t wait out early or anything. Product remains very difficult to find.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Eggplant Squire posted:

I just don't see the point of buying these packs at so much over MSRP instead of singles if those are your only choices. None of the non enchanted cards are worth that much so it's just gambling with very poor odds for a positive return combined with the stress of having to search these things out to even purchase.

I feel like people paying mark up are to some extent whales, speculators or just price insensitive. Like someone up thread mentioning an anecdote of an LGS player that was holding onto a box sealed. Some people are gambling on a ch. 1 box being akin to a box of Pokémon base set some day. Which is ironic because it won’t be if run of the mill players can’t access the game physically.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

After a second round of checking a few spots and not finding anything, later in the day I went out a third time, and just missed the stock at target. I found one booster. I went to another target and they had one ch. 2 starter left. Saw another dad + kid walking to checkout with two starters and two boosters, not even mad. But had just missed. Best Buy and Barnes and nobles didn’t seem to get their stock at all though possibly it just got cleared quickly but I don’t think so. One of the Fred meyers near by had starters and a clear peg on the shelf where they likely had some booster blister packs. A family member in another state had better luck.

So, chapter 2 starters are out there (for now) but anything else is a tough proposition.

Edit: also friends, if you dig on Amazon for the rise of the floodborn booster box, starting today there was/is a link to request an invitation to purchase a box through a purchase lottery. If you click, supposedly you will have a chance to be emailed a purchase link for msrp. Can find the listing in ravensburger store on Amazon. Good luck.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 2, 2023

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Did they already send you some links?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Finally got around to introducing game to my 7 y.o. We played hands-face-up games and talked through everything, moved really slowly. Lots of reminders and tip giving. Kiddo has a natural, non-confrontational hesitancy towards using characters for challenges and prefers to just quest race on lore. They are on amber amethyst starter and I've been on sapphire steel. The reception is positive but I can tell we're going to be moving fairly slowly and probably just jamming unaltered starters for a good while.

DalaranJ posted:

Seems like draft would be a rough format because making the rule “you can play whatever color you want” would completely flatten the flavor of each deck, but making it “you can only play 2 colors” turns 60% of your deck into basic lands, ugh.

Feels like the next half step to me would be rather to allow three color, maybe four color, draft decks vs. eliminating the card distinction entirely. There have been one or two draft formats over the last couple of years in MTG that age into a meta where everyone is trying to construct the 5-color good stuff deck and once that gels I find those to be really tedious drafting formats. Whereas having some color restriction still in lorcana would allow the existence of something like color pairing lanes and interesting draft choice decisions beyond "What is best card in pack flat stat wise".

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Local Best Buy and Barnes and nobles had some in stock, was refreshing to find msrp packs in the wild and I can definitely deck build some low powered jank now. Our area only had chapter one, but seeing that Best Buy was a little better stocked, I took a chance and checked out a Best Buy about forty miles away that was allotted chapter 2 based off Best Buy’s website and they had some in stock. Unless they had another unopened box they didn’t have much but they had enough for me to get their limit. Hoping chapter three release is easy to find from the jump and that they’ve ironed out their logistics kinks.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Chapter one boxes, starters and gift sets up at shop disney about midnight pst. A box will hit free shipping if anyone still had trouble finding some msrp boosters.

Edit: boxes and sets gone. Just starters up now noon the next day.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 22, 2023

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Been continuing to enjoy the game with my kid. We’re about fifteen games in and have progressed in to deck building. We took starters for the colors they wanted to play and opened ten boosters and then built around that pool. Kid was interested in evasive creatures because they just want to quest and avoid challenges so we zeroed in on ruby amethyst. We started by packing deck with as many evasive creatures as we could muster and then supplementing with some staples from the starters.

Since that left some discarded halves from the starter decks I built emerald amethyst around the remainders. With the emerald amethyst I try to quest while shutting down opponents creatures with a combination of challenge supplemented with tricks + recursion and some other no-questing/deactivating tricks. The games have been at a similar power level and enjoyable. Kid was thrilled to get their foil Mickey brave little tailor onto the board and close a game with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

The attempted limited deckbuilding rules I've seen to date seem kind of incoherent but I don't know a great way through that. The way cards are distributed in packs and the rarity breakdown makes it difficult for the normal deck restrictions to have any meaning and colors are meaningless as a result.

Did the people who play any of these kind of pre-release limited/sealed formats find that they encountered any decks that tried to use synergy or was it a bunch of predictable good stuff piles?

I feel if they ever had a different style draft pack they could maybe pull off a limited environment with three color deckbuilding restrictions. But each pack having only one color of each common makes that difficult to impossible with the boosters as they are.

The more I think about it I dont know what distribution would work given 6 colors, 5 rarities. It could be something like, 2 commons of each color, then one uncommon, rare, super rare + foil-- with the uncommon-rare-super being color matched. Super rare slot could have a chance to be a legendary instead. Obviously pipe dreaming here but I don't know how you make deck building interesting when because of color and rare distribution, your pool is necessarily shallow unless you open more packs than anyone would want to buy for a limited event.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 26, 2024