Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
Company Pulls spicy one chip challenge from store shelves as Massachusetts investigates teen’s death

WORCESTER, Mass. (AP) — The maker of an extremely spicy tortilla chip sold as the One Chip Challenge and popularized as a dare on social media is pulling the product after the family of a Massachusetts teenager blamed the stunt for his death.

The cause of Harris Wolobah’s death last Friday hasn’t been determined and an autopsy was still pending as of Thursday, but the 14-year-old’s family blames the challenge. Since his death, the Texas-based manufacturer, Paqui, has asked retailers to stop selling the individually wrapped chips — a step 7-Eleven has already taken.

The One Chip Challenge chip sells for about $10 and comes wrapped in a sealed foil pouch that is enclosed in a coffin-shaped cardboard box. The package warns that the chip is made for the “vengeful pleasure of intense heat and pain,” is intended for adults and should be kept out of reach of children.

Paqui, a subsidiary of The Hershey Company, said in a statement posted on its website Thursday that it was “deeply saddened by the death” of Wolobah.

“We have seen an increase in teens and other individuals not heeding these warnings,” the company said. “As a result, while the product continues to adhere to food safety standards, out of abundance of caution, we are actively working with retailers to remove the product from shelves.”

Authorities in Massachusetts have also responded to the death by warning parents about the challenge, which is is popular on social media sites such as TikTok. Scores of people, including children, post videos of themselves unwrapping the packaging, eating the spicy chips and then reacting to the heat. Some videos show people gagging, coughing and begging for water.

“We urge parents to discuss this with their children and advise them not to partake in this activity,” Worcester County District Attorney Joseph Early said in a series of posts about the challenge on the social network X, formerly known as Twitter. “The company warnings state the chips are intended for adult consumption. Other states across the country have seen hospitalizations due to the chip challenge, including teens.”

Someone needed some Alka Seltzer imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFKifpMtlNs

Pappyland fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
What happened to people (un)ironically doing this with tide pods anyway

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

EorayMel posted:

Like anything stupid that the youth do for clicks on Youtube it was completely blown out of proportion by the boomers who were convinced that it was a surefire sign of the collapse of society.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

If you can't take the heat... don't eat the chip.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

quote:

Consumer Reports reported that between the Tide Pods' introduction in 2012 through early 2017, eight deaths had been reported due to the ingestion of laundry detergent pods; two of the eight deaths were children, while the other six were adults with dementia.
Not even one death documented from a tide pod challenge.

Like these types of sensationalist articles were all over the place and they're dumb as gently caress. "Don't eat laundry detergent", uh okay? Maybe publish another article about avoiding razorblades in candy on Halloween next, you chuckle-fucks. Youtube isn't loving news.

From that article:

quote:

The exact number of deaths related to the Tide pod challenge is difficult to estimate.
Just absolute click-bait bullshit.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Millions of people die everyday from car crashes and yet the homicidal automobile is venerated, meanwhile one person in the history of mankind dies from a hot chip and then the humble spicy chip is demonized and pulled from the market by overbearing lawmakers. Today is a sad day for chili heads everywhere.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

Millions of people die everyday from car crashes
Hmm...

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

TikTok is a platform for death cultists.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

quote:

“We urge parents to discuss this with their children and advise them not to partake in this activity,” Worcester County District Attorney Joseph Early said in a series of posts about the challenge...”

Has this ever worked? I feel like teenagers explicitly do whatever authority figures tell them not to do.

If parents want their kids to stop doing idiotic challenges they should probably record tiktoks of themselves doing them to make them look uncool instead.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

In the time it took you to post this brilliant comeback several rust belt communities have become complete ghost towns devoid of all signs of life save the burning debris of automobiles.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I wish more parents would Tik Tok to their children about the dangers of peer pressure

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
the only way to wash down that chip is with several bottles of soy sauce

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Bramble posted:

In the time it took you to post this brilliant comeback several rust belt communities have become complete ghost towns devoid of all signs of life save the burning debris of automobiles.

I keep getting paper bills in order to support my local paper company.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

EorayMel posted:

the dude who smoked one out a bong is the king of england now.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Those chips are made by the loving devil. :dukedog:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

i ate the hot chip at work last year and it was all bad news for everyone in one way or another. eating the actual chip isnt that bad but you can follow the terrible blaze its setting every step down your GI and it isnt fun. F+

might goad the new guy into eating this years if i can find one

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I ate from the buffet because of a work thing.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Why you throw chip?

:ok:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I mean its kind of sad this kid died , but I'm betting anything he had some undiagnosed heart problem or some other undiagnosed problem that lead to his death. Almost every time you hear of someone dying from something spicey its usually like "Oh and they also had a undiagnosed gastric bleeding ulcer or heart valve something something"

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Thatsa spicy meatball chip

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

omg Turbo Teen has a forums account!!

Papal Infallibility
May 7, 2008

Stay Down Champion Stay Down
It isn't that bad going down but a nightmare in the gut about 2 hours later. Great for charity stunts though.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Papal Infallibility posted:

It isn't that bad going down but a nightmare in the gut about 2 hours later. Great for charity stunts though.

Personally I don’t donate money to any cause unless someone has put themselves through pain and suffering for my amusement first.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I did this challenge with a buddy a few years ago, and it was functionally equivalent to shoving a ball of corn meal and chili powder into my mouth. All heat no flavor, which is one of my pet peeves with chili-head stuff. It was just as bad coming out the other end too, and it was also $7 for the privilege (i.e. a single very large tortilla chip).

Really sad the kid died, but this isn't the first time I've heard about kids being hospitalized or maybe dying due to the annual hot chip drop. I thought maybe up until now it was a cynical form of viral marketing, but I didn't realize they'd been bought by Hershey's. That probably puts the kibosh on it from here on out.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The only thing that can stop a hot chip is a good guy with a hot chip

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I mean the packaging is a literal coffin…

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i gave that kid an atomic wedgie the day before

it was definitely the chip tho

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
how do we know the kid also didn't love fentanyl

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Have they tried making a cold chip to counteract the hot one

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hotel Kpro posted:

I have explored many cold chip calculations.....

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Luckily I had no desire to eat the dumb chip

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Hotel Kpro posted:

A chip off the old iceblock!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I mean the packaging is a literal coffin…

kid knew what he signed up for...

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I'm sad to hear this child died, but how exactly, physiologically or whatever, did 1 chip kill him?

I actually saw these at a 7-11 three days ago.

They've had a stink of youths-and-content-creators-gently caress-Around-with-this since inception. Like you never see these advertised, the company just assumes free advertising because you'll film and share it (like those soda bottles with the generic first names on them). They're actually kinda popular. I'm in nyc, so we're overflowing with people looking to do One Random Thing and go viral and become famous and finally show those high schools jerks what's what, I'm actually a Big Deal so Check Me Out pleasepleasepleaseplease

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I mean it's weird, how much more easy it is to dump heat into a system than take it out. Cooling a system is so much more work....

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
My 6th grade class had all the boys each eat a tortilla chip covered in Da bomb sauce for a dare, and nobody died. Guess we were just built different

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Heat Death Chip of the Universe!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

Heat Death Chip of the Universe!

Black holes will congregate and congregate and so on and such till there is one giant black hole.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
(extremely Duke Nukem voice) Eat chip and die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

ProperCoochie posted:

I'm sad to hear this child died, but how exactly, physiologically or whatever, did 1 chip kill him?

I actually saw these at a 7-11 three days ago.

They've had a stink of youths-and-content-creators-gently caress-Around-with-this since inception. Like you never see these advertised, the company just assumes free advertising because you'll film and share it (like those soda bottles with the generic first names on them). They're actually kinda popular. I'm in nyc, so we're overflowing with people looking to do One Random Thing and go viral and become famous and finally show those high schools jerks what's what, I'm actually a Big Deal so Check Me Out pleasepleasepleaseplease

It's possible, albeit pretty rare, that the pain response is extreme enough in someone to cause cardiac arrest. I guess you could also asphyxiate on your own mucus. But yeah, capsaicin doesn't actually damage the body directly.