Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Oh wow, football starts tonight. Guess it's time to put up the thread (but 144 of you already made picks, excellent job!)

That's right, the 20th season of everyone's favorite game is back. What's new? Nothing. Click button, receive fake dollars and real internet praise.

---

Season 19 recap:

Congrats to nobody who went 18-0 in eliminator. :wom: (but drewville, Cowfish, and Yamsta went 16-2)

Grittybeard was the pickem winner with 180 victories.

Leperflesh managed to eek out enough to buy a used car, ending the season with a balance of $22,706.44

Season 19 thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011698
--

Worst Bloodbaths Ever!
2004 Week 9
First year of eliminator and very few bets, but the Giants and Chiefs went down and when the smoke cleared only 25% of players were still standing.

2005 Week 1
The game that made Rura swear off Rams bets forever. 4 complete seasons since and not once has he bet on that cursed team. In raw terms, a 44% survival rate isn't as dramatic as most of the bloodbaths, but in terms of comedy value, A+.

2006 Week 7
Cards and Jags combined to break the hearts of well over 100 people. 29.76% remained.

2007 Week 10
Damned Saints! This was the year the Saints had suddenly become good. Unfortunately the ghost of Archie Manning put a hex on the team and they went down, taking 76 brave souls with them. (The hex was made more powerful by Archie not being dead.) 27.86% survived.

2010 Week 16
The latest mass elimination in the history of the game. 6 of the top 8 teams (ordered by # of bets) went down in flames and only 20.9% survived.

2013 Week 10
Jaguars beat Titans. Whoops. 15.49% made it through.

2015 Week 2
The god damned Saints again. Brees takes a massive L in his own stadium at the hands of Jameis Winston and the Buccaneers for Winston's first ever NFL win. Later that day, the Ravens give up a touchdown with 30 seconds left in the 4th to go down 33-37 against the Raiders. Yikes. Only 12.3% survived the worst bloodbath in Eliminator history.

2018 Week 3
In an exciting change of pace, it was the Vikings letting everyone down. Only 25.57% made it through.

2019 Week 10
Oh look, the Saints again, who could have predicted. Luckily the Colts pulled it out... oh wait, neither did they. 13% survival rate.

2022 Week 1
Who is good, who knows anything? 66% of bettors certainly didn't. I guess you can blame the rain for the 49ers, but the Titans and Broncos had no excuse. 34% Survive to week 2.

---

What are you waiting for, go click some buttons!

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thank you bubby. i love to eliminate

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
You're doing the lords work Qwijib0, god bless ya.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm going to try to win the money game by only betting unders the entire season. Hoping to be an eliminator legend

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Welp, I'm done with reverse eliminator.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

1-0 in pick'em and +450 funbucks. Playing a hunch worked out for ol' Kalli.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Lions, Bitch

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Pretty pleased with my last minute switch from the Lions to the Pats for reverse eliminator.

This space reserved for when I edit this Sunday when the Pats win too.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 8, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pain of Mind posted:

Pretty pleased with my last minute switch from the Lions to the Pats for reverse eliminator.

Y'know, I had a feeling. And I decided to ignore it.

Don't do that.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Wasn't quite gutsy enough to switch my Pickem to the Lions but I did take them for Spread Eliminator and Chiefs for Reverse Spread

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
14 people out already in Eliminator and some goon named borickel accidentally picked Detroit and got lucky.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

All hail to our king, borickel

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I may have made some mistakes

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I may have made some mistakes

Welcome fellow week one eliminated.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Commanders win! that was close

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

was wise to bid against the cardinals and broncos. lol vikings and lol saints not beating the spread.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

daslog posted:

I'm going to try to win the money game by only betting unders the entire season. Hoping to be an eliminator legend

Betting the under: boring for actual games, cheat code for Funbucks

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Let's see, I forgot to pick the Thursday game (but probably would have picked the Chiefs), I busted all 4 eliminator games, and I went 7-7 (4-10 ATS) in pickem. So another typical season for me

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Bucs ML has me leading the Funbucks!

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

A belated gently caress you to the Vikings for knocking me out in the first week. I haven't had to experience that shame in a couple of seasons.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Neat, I'm leading both regular and spread Pick Em after Week 2.

Which is a good thing because other than ReverseElim I'm doing horrible on everything else!

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Mega64 posted:

Neat, I'm leading both regular and spread Pick Em after Week 2.

Which is a good thing because other than ReverseElim I'm doing horrible on everything else!

21-9-2 goddamn

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The Patriots versus Jets over under is 37 points. That's a sign of horrible quarterbacking. I might take the under

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

drat you, Jags :argh:

But currently tied for #1 in Pickem, hell yeah.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I forgot to put in pickem picks for the 1pm games today :(

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Out because Dallas lost but also lol Dallas lost

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

shyduck posted:

Out because Dallas lost but also lol Dallas lost

same

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

:same:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm going along well since the Pats were there for me..

But somehow I picked Bengals in reverse in a fugue state? So that's gonna be fun for me to watch.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm another dallas victim. I even told myself last week "don't just pick everyone who plays the cards, they're bound to win a game sooner or later" and then I ignored that excellent advice.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
The choices this week for eliminator, given my internal rules are, woof.

*no divisionals
*no tnf
*no snf
*no mnf

this leaves me with a bunch of really tight games.

go, uh, bengals!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I ain't too worried about the eagles prevailing over their division rivals the washington commanders this weekend, but I think generally those are some good internal rules yeah

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

Qwijib0 posted:

The choices this week for eliminator, given my internal rules are, woof.

*no divisionals
*no tnf
*no snf
*no mnf

this leaves me with a bunch of really tight games.

go, uh, bengals!

yup i am out of the other eliminators but hitching my 3-0 wagon to joe burrow's calf

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm betting on the Chargers says person about to be eliminated

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

JPrime posted:

yup i am out of the other eliminators but hitching my 3-0 wagon to joe burrow's calf

this is not looking wise

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

JPrime posted:

this is not looking wise

:smith:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Hey Qwijib0 if you don't mind, can I ask what API you use for the site? I'm thinking of building something similar for practice

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
None, they've all gone pay over the last several years as sports gambling has assured everyone that you can afford to pay.

At this point the site is reliant on data espn.com can be coerced into providing as JSON with get variables that elfurbe does some wizardry on to conform it to the format eliminator expects.

If you search around for "espn json api" you'll find a lot of examples.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Qwijib0 posted:

None, they've all gone pay over the last several years as sports gambling has assured everyone that you can afford to pay.

At this point the site is reliant on data espn.com can be coerced into providing as JSON with get variables that elfurbe does some wizardry on to conform it to the format eliminator expects.

If you search around for "espn json api" you'll find a lot of examples.

I noticed about the APIs! Quite annoying. But thanks a ton, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey this is really minor, but I've noticed that sometimes when I drag a slider all the way to the right, it doesn't use up all my available funbux:

I can still edit in the correct amount but sometimes when I have an uneven amount of funbux like 1242.87 I don't notice and I leave five fake dollars on the table unrisked