Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Cant stop watching the effort.

https://twitter.com/draftdiamonds/status/1701541438247305329?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Play posted:

The hit definitely caused it, he was dragged down on top of the ankle causing the achilles to stretch to breaking. Not that there weren't other factors, but it wouldn't have snapped without the way that sack happened.

I don’t think it was the hit. He was pushing off on that foot trying to get away mid fall and it snapped. The defensemen wasn’t even on top of him yet. There was too much weight behind him, he had an acute angle with his ankle that had the tendon already stretched, and he tried to push off which added extra tension. He even planted his right foot immediately after, still pumping to try and get away. He’s lucky he didn’t blow both Achilles. Trying to escape was his downfall, he shoulda just rolled and fell with it.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The Bills tried to have a punter who was more forceful and aggressive and well,

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

an excellent touch football play at least

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

JT Jag posted:

this is a super pedantic correction

Important to be precise when talking about football.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

It's so rare that I can get an embedded Twitter video to play on the SA app that I have to applaud when it does.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

The oline is bad but Rodgers was holding the ball way longer than he should have. They would need one of the best olines in the league to keep him from getting hit on every down the way he was playing.

Yeah, between last season and last night, Rodgers struck me as a guy who was trying to play like he was still 25. He was really good at avoiding INTs and used his unreal pocket mobility to buy him time to do just that, but his physical abilities have clearly declined and it just didn't seem like he'd adjusted to that reality yet. Not trying to victim-blame him for his injury or anything, but that mindset probably didn't help matters.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

idk looks to me like gipson juked him out of his shoes and he flailed ineffectually even though it was hopeless

You can see his momentum is carrying him in the completely wrong direction after Gipson changes direction to the right

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Here is the exact moment his back foot hits the ground from step 3. The ball is supposed to be out of his hand immediately after this and there is still 25 feet between him and the defender. Yeah their line is bad a 40 year old QB who knows who is on his line should not expect them to immediately get better via magic. He held onto the ball too long and he's been doing this for years, Brady played until 45 by getting rid of the ball quickly.

e: just watched the Eli and Peyton feed and they are questioning why he still had the ball:

Eli: "another 3 step Peyt, trying to get the ball out quick the left tackle is cutting I think the ball should be out on a quick gain"

It was an extremely low effort cut by the LT but Rodgers had time for both the play that was called and time to dump it when he saw the pressure.

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1701393836503666988

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

idk looks to me like gipson juked him out of his shoes and he flailed ineffectually even though it was hopeless

You can see his momentum is carrying him in the completely wrong direction after Gipson changes direction to the right

Yeah a charitable reading is he thought Gipson was going to keep going down the sideline and the only way he had a prayer to keep up was to keep going backwards and then....oops.

But it's also funny to laugh at a punter thinking he's going to maybe save the day for a second and then doing whatever that was.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Also it was inside the 15 and next score win anyway.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah a charitable reading is he thought Gipson was going to keep going down the sideline and the only way he had a prayer to keep up was to keep going backwards and then....oops.

But it's also funny to laugh at a punter thinking he's going to maybe save the day for a second and then doing whatever that was.

I agree with that

Those open field tackles already put the tackler at a huge disadvantage, throw in that the tackler is a punter and there's some potential for hilarity

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

The game is over unless Gipson fumbles right there (or goes down and the Jets do something hilarious with 1st & Goal in OT). At least he tried to get his arms somewhere near the ball, which I don't imagine punters spend a lot of time drilling.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Gorson posted:

Here is the exact moment his back foot hits the ground from step 3. The ball is supposed to be out of his hand immediately after this and there is still 25 feet between him and the defender. Yeah their line is bad a 40 year old QB who knows who is on his line should not expect them to immediately get better via magic. He held onto the ball too long and he's been doing this for years, Brady played until 45 by getting rid of the ball quickly.

e: just watched the Eli and Peyton feed and they are questioning why he still had the ball:

Eli: "another 3 step Peyt, trying to get the ball out quick the left tackle is cutting I think the ball should be out on a quick gain"

It was an extremely low effort cut by the LT but Rodgers had time for both the play that was called and time to dump it when he saw the pressure.

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1701393836503666988

If this was supposed to be a 3 step throw play, uh who's he supposed to throw it to? I'm may not be a big city sophisticated lawyer, but this seems like garbage play design for a quick hitter when you only have 1 receiver over the middle of the field. Maybe the outside receivers are doing short curls???

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Asproigerosis posted:

If this was supposed to be a 3 step throw play, uh who's he supposed to throw it to? I'm may not be a big city sophisticated lawyer, but this seems like garbage play design for a quick hitter when you only have 1 receiver over the middle of the field. Maybe the outside receivers are doing short curls???
Nathaniel Hackett.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Asproigerosis posted:

He has 3 receivers running slants/in/crossing routes and an RB checkdown to his left. His first two reads are to the right and both are covered, the left receiver has a couple steps but the safety is lurking nearby. Still with his arm that's his best option. Barring that you toss it to the check down where only he can catch it/out of bounds.

You can see his first two reads are covered. He's had time to bounce around back there, the ball needs to come out NOW and his arm should already be back. At this point even if he gets a throw off he still likely gets hit. The LT tried to chop because he expected the ball to be out based on the play call. Assuming the LT didn't miss his blocking assignment Rodgers knows this, and even sees/senses the pressure and had ample time to dump it out of bounds after the first two reads if he wanted to, and would have lived to fight another day.

Man who would have thought I'd be frame by framing another 9/11 event.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

i can confirm he was making some kind of effort because that is *exactly* the motion my body makes when i try to make a pull in flag football

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Nathaniel Hackett.

Both outside routes are timed to break in when Rodgers hits the top of his drop, those are the two options as the TE pulls the linebacker in the middle up the field. You can see the WR on the left come open pretty much right as Rodgers finishes his drop in the video.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Both outside routes are timed to break in when Rodgers hits the top of his drop, those are the two options as the TE pulls the linebacker in the middle up the field. You can see the WR on the left come open pretty much right as Rodgers finishes his drop in the video.

I half think he was expecting that tight end to get past the LB and settle or go sideways, then he just runs into double coverage and by then it's too late.

But that doesn't really work either because the open receiver there would be running pretty close to into him.

Which is something I noticed all last year with Hackett offenses, receivers are constantly right damned next to each other, and not in a mesh way where one's doing a pick. Like, they end up that way in plays.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Garrett Wilson was open because he’s always open. He’s right there on the left. Throw it to him.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Grittybeard posted:

I half think he was expecting that tight end to get past the LB and settle or go sideways, then he just runs into double coverage and by then it's too late.

But that doesn't really work either because the open receiver there would be running pretty close to into him.

Which is something I noticed all last year with Hackett offenses, receivers are constantly right damned next to each other, and not in a mesh way where one's doing a pick. Like, they end up that way in plays.

Yea, it’s an ugly play, as many of Hackett’s are, but Wilson is open as hell on the left if Rodgers throws on time. The right side is obviously hosed as soon as the LB turns to follow the TE because it’s just too congested.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Gorson posted:

He has 3 receivers running slants/in/crossing routes and an RB checkdown to his left. His first two reads are to the right and both are covered, the left receiver has a couple steps but the safety is lurking nearby. Still with his arm that's his best option. Barring that you toss it to the check down where only he can catch it/out of bounds.

You can see his first two reads are covered. He's had time to bounce around back there, the ball needs to come out NOW and his arm should already be back. At this point even if he gets a throw off he still likely gets hit. The LT tried to chop because he expected the ball to be out based on the play call. Assuming the LT didn't miss his blocking assignment Rodgers knows this, and even sees/senses the pressure and had ample time to dump it out of bounds after the first two reads if he wanted to, and would have lived to fight another day.

Maybe I should have actually watched the play instead of looking at one still frame

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Look when you win the MVP you can tell me how long I have. Until then I say it's a five step dro

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Zach Wilson is gonna have a rocky next couple of weeks. He'll put together a solid game 4 and then suddenly have two phenomenal games week 5 and 6. Week 7 he takes a step back and leaves you wondering if it was all just random chance. Week 8 he gsts arrested after he takes his dick out in an Uber and doesn't play again this season.

Thr Jets sign Tom Brady.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Look when you win the MVP you can tell me how long I have. Until then I say it's a five step drAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Asproigerosis posted:

Maybe I should have actually watched the play instead of looking at one still frame

Not trying to pin this all on Rodgers. I feel bad for the guy because while I think he's a weird egomaniac with team-killing contract demands I really did want to see him play out this year. His line is bad, that was a poo poo play call, and that field looked like green spray painted shag carpet. But I've been watching him take his dropbacks with increasing risk for 10+ years and there was a very high chance of him getting hurt because of it. His margin of error with the Jets was incredibly slim. This wasn't a hard hit, just a freak injury due to a bad dice roll. You avoid this by not rolling the dice.

The NFLPA is once again pushing for grass, but I can't see that working because the owners are so cheap and petty their "grass" fields will turn into dog tracks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Relying on 39 year old Duane Brown to give consistent LT performance for Rodgers probably wasn't a good idea given he was running out of gas during his Seahawks tenure.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Gorson posted:

The NFLPA is once again pushing for grass, but I can't see that working because the owners are so cheap and petty their "grass" fields will turn into dog tracks.

Just remembering the irony of the pre-super bowl "look how impressive the infrastructure is for maintaining this field in Arizona" segment

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Asproigerosis posted:

I mean he’s right. Rodgers has always been pretty averse to risk. He’s the Anti Farve which usually works out pretty well but can lead to him just eating hits

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

seiferguy posted:

Relying on 39 year old Duane Brown to give consistent LT performance for Rodgers probably wasn't a good idea given he was running out of gas during his Seahawks tenure.

The OL did their job on the play he was injured, it was entirely his fault.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Papercut posted:

The OL did their job on the play he was injured, it was entirely his fault.

Actually it was Nathaniel Hackett's fault per sources close to Aaron Rodgers.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Gorson posted:

Mostly agree but the receiver visible on the left side is 100% open. In-breaking route, safety is barely inside of him but also over ten yards deeper. No way he gets to that ball if it is thrown in the next second or two. Beautiful window too, wide open.

His eyes aren't really there, but they probably should be based on the defenders' leverage on the two routes on the right side. It looks like he is hoping to hit a hole shot to the receiver in the middle (looks like a seam route or something similar) but it is well covered with the LB right next to the receiver and the two safeties already converging. And throwing a seam route on a play where a cut block is called makes no sense at all. He needs to throw the ball to the left.

Yes easy to say by calmly perusing a still shot. But Rodgers has always been bizarre about hesitating to throw in breaking routes even though they are by far the easiest way to get chunk plays in the NFL.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do wonder if Tom Brady going as long as he did will end up causing a few quarterbacks to hold off retirement a little longer and take some bad injuries from it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Gorson posted:

Yeah this is how it was with the Ravens field back when it was grass too. Was absolutely horrible

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

fsif posted:

Actually it was Nathaniel Hackett's fault per sources close to Aaron Rodgers.

he should keep his coach's name out of his mouth

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Quality trash talking

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/PewterReport/status/1702014705668165957?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Baker is having quite the week!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Good Baker is always fun to watch. It won't last but it'll be a fun ride for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k

Amused chuckle