Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
Terraria, by combined playtime on Steam and Switch.

Final Fantasy Tactics is probably the real answer, though.

Maybe Shadow of the Colossus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
terraria is one of those games where every time I consider getting into it, it seems overwhelming and I don't lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Terraria was fun as hell when it first released but yeah these days it's the kind of thing where if you're not incredibly familiar with it and its systems you virtually have to read a wiki to engage with all the post-release content

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Dick Fontaine posted:

a thread full of cowards. a whole lotta opinions but very few stats. let’s see those numbers goons. let’s see that truth laid bare all honest like. what’s #1 when you hit “sort by time played” on your library?

If that’s the metric than the answer is Graal Online in which I had over a 1200 hours played on one server.

Followed by Diablo 2, The Realm and Natural Selection.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dick Fontaine posted:

a thread full of cowards. a whole lotta opinions but very few stats. let’s see those numbers goons. let’s see that truth laid bare all honest like. what’s #1 when you hit “sort by time played” on your library?

Team Fortress 2 with 440.9 hours. Reminds me of working night shift.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Dick Fontaine posted:

Its Medieval 2 Total War with 1096 hours but I leave things alt-tabbed out for days at a time and its a pretty old game.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Not my favorite game, just the game that wastes the most of your time while playing.

Hey, I'm almost 8 months clean!

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Does Lego Stud.io count as a game?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Obsidianheart posted:

If I was able to put a bunch of hours into lego creator then sure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Creator_(video_game)

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Grey Cat posted:

If I was able to put a bunch of hours into lego creator then sure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Creator_(video_game)

I have like 800 Studio files on my hard drive, so that might be my favorite game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Obsidianheart posted:

Mods please change my name to Lego Stud

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Sacrifice.

Though more recently Rimworld, Starsector and Crusader Kings 3

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Unironically, Starsiege: Tribes.

Other favorites over the years:

Aliens vs. Predator 2
America's Army
Tribes 2
Borderlands 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Fallout 4
Shadow Warrior 2
Prey
Dishonored (all of them)
Painkiller
Cyberpunk 2077

I also like the Far Cry games in general, and it's hard to pick a favorite out of those, and even my favorites there are flawed.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Most played are WoW, DotA, and Falls Guys. I didn't include games I love for pure multiplayer aspects because I love them in part due to the love I bear for the friends I play them with which complicates answering the question.

WoW during The Burning Crusade was great. Raided the whole thing end to end with a crew of hilarious people I met through a college roommate

DotA is DotA. Half the played time is menus and the other half is reporting TLD/BBG in Games threads.

Fall Guys I play every day with my wife. We used to play Borderlands but now it makes her nauseous.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
most played isnt a good answer because those are the games we hate the most

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Deus Ex/ Earthbound tied for first.

The rest of the list in no order:
Resident Evil
Metal Gear Solid
Fallout NV
Witcher 3
Metal Slug
Blazing Star
Streets of Rage
Hotline Miami
Tony Hawk 3
GTA 5
The Last of Us 1
Mortal Kombat 9

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Half Life (1). That was the first time I'd been enveloped by a game's story in that way and had the fun of trying to solve little puzzle like challenges that were fun to execute while advancing along. This is ignoring it's contribution via multiplayer mods. It paved the way for a lot of fun multiplayer gaming.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Half Life (1). That was the first time I'd been enveloped by a game's story in that way and had the fun of trying to solve little puzzle like challenges that were fun to execute while advancing along. This is ignoring it's contribution via multiplayer mods. It paved the way for a lot of fun multiplayer gaming.

did you play black mesa? if not I can highly recommend it

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

black mesa is cool right up until xen and then :gamefreak:

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
That’s the best part of it, new xen was cool

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Starsiege Tribes was probably the best shooter. Now it's all lovely instant death CoD wannabes with zero teamwork mechanisms.

For time played it's probably RimWorld, and it's not hate-playing or time wasted grinding. There's just so many different mods and awesome story moments you can end up stumbling across. Like a pack of 40 rabid man-eating squirrels busting in to my base and ripping everyone to pieces, then a trading caravan that was out on the world map coming back to the completely ruined colony and rebuilding.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Konar posted:

it is a mixed bag there are parts of it that are really cool but some parts that are still kind of lame but now longer than the original

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Starsiege Tribes was probably the best shooter.

Tribes 2 was my favorite shooter ever, bar none. I loved Tribes 1 but Tribes 2 was really my fuckin jam, especially because we got cable internet right before it came out.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Ahundredbux posted:

did you play black mesa? if not I can highly recommend it
Just looked it up and no but I'd love to when I update my hardware.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Konar posted:

it was a never ending slog

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

but ya half life 1 is a wonderful 5/5 and half life 2 and alyx are both really really good 4/5s as well. i think a few years ago i wouldve said half life was my fave game

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've got a number of them:

Freddy's Rescue Roundup, the very first game I ever played
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3 (I never had an SNES as a kid, so SMB3 was and is Peak Mario for me. World is a great game, though)
Mega Man 2 (all of the original NES games save for 1 I remember playing as a kid, but if I had to choose one it'd be this one)
Perfect Dark
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 (the game that got me into PC gaming while recovering from a surgery)
Empire Earth (probably dated as hell now, but being able to play in any of 14 epochs of human history was rad in 2001)
Stardew Valley
Terraria, despite sucking at it
Bravoman/Beraboh Man
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (better than San Andreas, imo)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 12, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (better than San Andreas, imo)

:toughguy: yeah SA was fine but felt a bridge too far for what the PS2 hardware could comfortably support & some of the sprawling areas felt empty. Also one of the biggest improvements VC had over III was drastically improved missions with far more interesting variety past “drive here, shoot everyone, drive back” and it felt like SA regressed.

Although one of the biggest laughs I’ve had gaming was having CJ ride a bicycle off a tall mountain for fun & his yell of “I hate gravity!” was perfectly timed.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I liked san andreas more but I understand why someone would prefer vice city.

Also I liked vice city's soundtrack better.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
San Andreas just had so many awesome systems and quirks and so loving much to do. The first time I intentionally got CJ fat and he started saying idle chatter about how he is too fat to chase people is something I’ll never forget lol

And the bicycles ruled

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001
The Surgeon General never said anything about smoking the competition!
I'm seconding all of the GTA love. I love driving games, shooting games, and games that have that zany/hilarious aspect. Add up all three, and it's the GTA franchise for the win! :dance:

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

RE gta chat:

Saints row 2 is possibly the best co-op game of all time. My college roommate and I played the hell out of that game and it never got old.

The character creator was so good we were able to play the entire game as obama and biden.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Adored GTA IV for letting me take a taxi to where the tourist helicopters park, joyously swoop between skyscrapers before the inevitable fiery crash, then make a beeline back to do it again. Got good enough that there was an achievement for going under like I think 10 bridges and after many tries I was able to barely scrape under a Central Park footbridge. Then learned that bridge wasn’t required, was still fun.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

bossy lady posted:

RE gta chat:

Saints row 2 is possibly the best co-op game of all time. My college roommate and I played the hell out of that game and it never got old.

The character creator was so good we were able to play the entire game as obama and biden.

saints row 2 is the best gta game

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vice City had the smallest map of that generation (smaller than even GTA3's Liberty City), but I was a lot more into the '80s ambience and the soundtrack (which got me into '80s pop and rock) than San Andreas. Both both Vice City and San Andreas were the sweet spot for GTA before the bad decisions made in IV ("Hello, cousin!") and V (so much realism that the series lost the cartoonish, open-world charm of the earlier games).

I also really liked SR2. Steelport in SR3 seemed really generic after all the complexity in Stilwater.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 13, 2023

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

been enjoying some skate 2 again lately

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I started on GTA3 and at the time, vice city felt kind of empty in terms of people/traffic compared to it. I still had a lot of fun with it tho.

man, so many good memories of that trilogy. thanks.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sarah Cenia posted:

I started on GTA3 and at the time, vice city felt kind of empty in terms of people/traffic compared to it. I still had a lot of fun with it tho.

man, so many good memories of that trilogy. thanks.

Shoot, I meant GTA3 was my first immersive video game.

I tried Sin City, it just didn't click the same way.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Leisure suit Larry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the video game I enjoyed the most when I played it was probably Quest for Glory when I was like 7. Best point and click adventure ever, way better than the Lucas Arts ones.