Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
prob still final fantasy tactics at the end of the day. soundtrack goes hard, I love the artwork a lot of the spell effects are really cool looking esp, pretty intricate storyline for the time involving a commoner manipulating a war to sieze the throne and a cult within the high church trying to ressurct a dead god. also I love settings where there's ancient technology way beyond the current situation I always think that's rad.

overall its just gaming comfort food for me

e: also deeply involves class warfare which hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

alternate answer: when I want something a little faster paced than an old tactical rpg - doom eternal, it is very fun to reduce demons to tiny bits in that video game

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Dick Fontaine posted:

a thread full of cowards. a whole lotta opinions but very few stats. let’s see those numbers goons. let’s see that truth laid bare all honest like. what’s #1 when you hit “sort by time played” on your library?

I have 666.5 hours in path of exile on steam which is my highest but its not even in my top 5 overall. the hours are there cause that's the kind of game I play where I'm mainly listening to a podcast or book and just want something chill to play while I listen which is another deal entirely. some games are also more time consuming than others, some games are designed to be short experiences you revisit once in awhile, some games are made to be played potentially endlessly like factorio or rimworld.

point is I think hours played is a poor metric for this. I've only got about 200 hours in doom eternal compared to the previously mentioned PoE or FFXIV which is a close second because mmorpgs are time consuming

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I did it

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

just noticed Caves of Qud actually has the most hours played because it is genuinely awesome if you like classic roguelike games. The creator is a goon and the caves of qud thread in games is always pretty active for such a niche game and its helped shape the game for the better over the years which has been a neat thing to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

zone posted:

Thedas is a fairly well crafted standard fantasy world with some interesting elements, like the Fade and their version of elves. I mean, there are better and more unique worlds out there, but Thedas is alright for what it is. I just think any other studio other than Bioware could have made it into something like Tamriel of Elder Scrolls fame.

I think where Thedas suffers in terms of worldbuild is its just... like too dark. there is very little levity, everything is deadly serious except for the comic relief provided by your characters quips and stuff. there's nothing included to be like outright whimsical or joyous like the shire to contrast all the suffering going on. still an awesome game but I just think that lack of contrast in tone makes the world kind of unmemorable