Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

baldurs gate 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Revins posted:

I think where Thedas suffers in terms of worldbuild is its just... like too dark. there is very little levity, everything is deadly serious except for the comic relief provided by your characters quips and stuff. there's nothing included to be like outright whimsical or joyous like the shire to contrast all the suffering going on. still an awesome game but I just think that lack of contrast in tone makes the world kind of unmemorable

This is part of why I didn't like Pillars of Eternity 1, amongst other reasons. It misread the tone of BG1/2 as being grimdark instead of _having_ dark elements, but not being actually grim at all. That or it was written by edgelords who just wanted to make it dark for its own sake, I guess.

This combined with the absurd mechanical complexity to "fix" classical isometric game problems like party death and overly preparing for fights are all reasons I greatly dislike that game. The second one is much better in all ways, but still ultimately a pale shadow of what it's meant to be building off. It's like those games were made as a fans wish-list for Baldurs Gate 3 but every element is just super shallow. Like you get a fortress to upgrade but doing so means nothing, I know because I 100%ed that specific part and it felt vain and hollow and meant nothing.

I've beaten both, twice, and I cannot name a single character from them. I do remember how the first one opens up with you walking up to corpses hanging from a tree though.

BG3 understood the correct tone to use and god I love it. So fuckin' happy with it, but I do still miss the overworld map world design and I legitimately think it's better for a feeling of scale and adventure than an open map for this type of game.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 10, 2023

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Alyx was just a tease, to show off their VR tech. Like GRRM, Valve will never finish their magnum opus

Honestly as I read into it, Half Life 3's script was loving bonkers in a cool neat way but also impossible to make into a fun game so I can see why it floundered.
When Game 1 and Game 2 are so intensely distinct that people expect Game 3 to be a similar milestone event it's kind hard to follow on.

Honestly they should have had the balls to make Alyx be HL3 and lean into it harder.