Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

my google image search for horses with cats for feet returned nothing. literally shaking rn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

flubber nuts posted:

my google image search for horses with cats for feet returned nothing. literally shaking rn.

This is pretty much why God invented AI

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
When kittens are born, their hooves are covered by a thin membrane known as a "mermaid's slipper." Kittens lose their baby hooves at 12-16 weeks of age (source: Jelqson Galaxie)

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Wilkins Micawber posted:

When kittens are born, their hooves are covered by a thin membrane known as a "mermaid's slipper." Kittens lose their baby hooves at 12-16 weeks of age (source: Jelqson Galaxie)

Thanks, CatGPT

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

maybealabia posted:

This is pretty much why God invented AI

someone please help me my google image search is sick. my family is falling apart.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

maybealabia posted:

Thanks, CatGPT

Lol

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

if cats had hoofs they would wait until the sun was just about up, get all hungry, then bonk you into compliance. cat owners all having to explain how they’re sleepwalking into door knobs. cats with a bonus to bludgeoning would be a nightmare

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

This cat I know occasionally will swat me to keep me from walking away and hook their claws in my pant or hand, causing damage. I think if it were a hoof it would cause no discomfort or damage, so I approve this change.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Can some biologist or rather chime in why cats can't have hooves.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

Can some biologist or rather chime in why cats can't have hooves.

Local catologist here, the reason is likely that cat's have digitigrade legs while hooved animals have unguligrade legs.
Humans are cool because we can switch from plantigrade to digitigrade.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Local catologist here, the reason is likely that cat's have digitigrade legs while hooved animals have unguligrade legs.
Humans are cool because we can switch from plantigrade to digitigrade.

It seems like there is much more to the story than that.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

It seems like there is much more to the story than that.

Well to put that in perspective for how that would effect cats, it would be like standing on your tippy toes and glueing a big block of wood to the ends of your toes.
While something like a horse is literally walking on a big toenail, the bone that would be their toes is off the ground unlike cats.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It's more about the fingers than the type of legs.

It's all in the wrist.

Phalangies

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Imagine cats with hooves trying to climb stuff lmao they'd be so confused and bad at it that's awesome.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Treecko posted:

It's more about the fingers than the type of legs.

It's all in the wrist.

Phalangies

Same applies to cat's forelegs, they're still digitigrade.
E: Seeing as they're quadrapeds

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Grey Cat posted:

Well to put that in perspective for how that would effect cats, it would be like standing on your tippy toes and glueing a big block of wood to the ends of your toes.
While something like a horse is literally walking on a big toenail, the bone that would be their toes is off the ground unlike cats.

The human in this diagram needs to trim their nails

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Sorry, I meant there is many thousands of years of story through evolution, maybe millions. Defining cat feet.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

maybealabia posted:

The human in this diagram needs to trim their nails

I get that it's for visibility but can't argue with that.

redshirt posted:

Sorry, I meant there is many thousands of years of story through evolution, maybe millions. Defining cat feet.

Oh why didn't you say so.
Well evolution is a complex topic, but the reason for current forms of creatures because it just be like that.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If you do your own research there's studies showing that toes are an unnatural byproduct of the introduction of grains into our diets.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Grey Cat posted:

Same applies to cat's forelegs, they're still digitigrade.
E: Seeing as they're quadrapeds

That's why I said wrist, not ankles. To relate it to human terms.

Biology is fun.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

syntaxfunction posted:

If you do your own research there's studies showing that toes are an unnatural byproduct of the introduction of grains into our diets.

It's true, this is why I cut off all vestigial parts of my body and have achieved peak human form.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Grey Cat posted:

Evolution is p drat cool imo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

It's true, this is why I cut off all vestigial parts of my body and have achieved peak human form.

You make me laugh all the time. Thank you.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Treecko posted:

That's why I said wrist, not ankles. To relate it to human terms.

Biology is fun.

It's weird to think about since they do have two elbows and radius/ulna but still four ankles.

redshirt posted:

You make me laugh all the time. Thank you.

:cheers:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

I'm going to need a visual aid, op

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Now that's just a chimera, not fair.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

covidstomper58 posted:

This cat I know occasionally will swat me to keep me from walking away and hook their claws in my pant or hand, causing damage. I think if it were a hoof it would cause no discomfort or damage, so I approve this change.

ok i need to be clear i'm not saying that cats should have hoofs. i am just saying what to expect if they had them

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Treecko posted:

We talking cloven or single hooved cats here?

Definitely cloves. Like small goats

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mine leaves shed claws all over the place and particularly likes to do so in my bed. They are sharp but small. Shed hooves would be intolerable however.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Grey Cat posted:

Actually this thread taught me that both are accepted plurals. And hooves is much newer.

“little hoofies” is also an accepted nomenclature

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dick Fontaine posted:

if cats had hoofs they would wait until the sun was just about up, get all hungry, then bonk you into compliance. cat owners all having to explain how they’re sleepwalking into door knobs. cats with a bonus to bludgeoning would be a nightmare

No slashing damage tho

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

What about clippy cloppies?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Imagine how hard a game of horseshoes would be with catshoes

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
Brb, bringing my cat to the farrier furrier.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

if i were a carpenter
and you were a lady
would you marry me anyway?
would you have my baby?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

im not sure i like what CatGPT spit out

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ELTON JOHN posted:

“little hoofies” is also an accepted nomenclature

absolutely
hoofies and hoofers

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
There once was a cat from Nantucket
Whose hooves once got stuck in a bucket
He clamped and he clomped
He raged and he stomped
To no avail so he fin’lly said “gently caress it”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

put smarties tubes on cats legs make them walk like a robot