Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you want Sean Strickland to win?
This poll is closed.
No 8 42.11%
This button automatically e-mails your home address to the FBI 11 57.89%
Total: 19 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Brut posted:

Strickland's making a lot of different arm movements that aren't punches

Sanko said Izzy is good at dominating the air with hands, which is normally a fair assessment, but those small movements are part of Strickland’s game. He needs to move into his defensive guard really quickly to pick up incoming straight punches. The small moves disguise both his offensive and defensive intent.

Brut posted:

I wonder if it's really hard to get sparring partners that fight like Strickland, he just casually walks forward in a really bizarre way

I don’t think it would be, at least from among kickboxers. It’s not bizarre as much as it is calculated. He’s doing two things:
- making small forward steps and not making it easier to circle to his outside, his left
- by having that small stepping narrow stance, he’s maximizing how far back his lead leg is talkative to his punch range, which gives him more time to react and check

BlindSite posted:

He doesn't look like he game planned for this at all... Absolutely no strategy behind his offense this fight. No leg kicks, no high low change ups, no working the body to affect the cardio. He's just getting worked.

It’s a loving embarrassment by his camp.
Not having any discipline circling to his right was the foundation for his problems. Gameplan he needed to stick to:
- southpaw, circle to the right, take Strickland’s very tight cross out of the picture. The more Izzy circled to the left, the more he gave up ring generalship.
- when, in the countless times he got Sean leaning back, that’s when you unload the leg kick. Not single with 0 setup. So many times Izzy threw straight punches, missed but had Sean frozen leaning back, and nothing under it.
- a sidekick under the lead arm after selling a good jab. Or failing that, slip deep to the outside to avoid the cross and dig in an inside leg kick

Strickland’s corner talked about not getting snake charmed, but in reality, it was 100% Izzy who fell for it

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Terrible performance by Izzy, and, like, a completely expected performance from Strickland, but

I fought a guy, and a guy won.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A Passing Feeling posted:

The Strickland fight kind of demonstrated again that just feinting a lot and doing (genuinely) very impressive movements isn't a particularly great way to actually win a fight
I disagree in that I didn’t find the feints impressive. They weren’t cohesive with what Izzy actually tried to land, and at Sean’s boxing range, he wasn’t biting on most of it.

quote:

but by god the feints were twitchier and more ferocious than ever.

I agree that the commentary around it is breathless, but I don’t think it’s feeding into the fighters’ ego. This loss definitely exposes some disconnect in camp. Izzy has the physical tools to beat almost any MW. Clearly he is missing some fight IQ we were giving him credit for. And it’s absurd that he wasn’t jolted out of it by his corner between rounds, even forgiving that they came in with seemingly no plan.