Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you want Sean Strickland to win?
This poll is closed.
No 8 42.11%
This button automatically e-mails your home address to the FBI 11 57.89%
Total: 19 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

That's not very nice Radtke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

"The pleasure man" nicknamed by his father.

What the actual gently caress

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MR SUNSHINE ON MY loving SHOULDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUSTIN loving TAFA

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I wish americans would just shut up about other countries. Just say its nice to be there - don't lean into the idiot ignorant american stereotype.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

crepeface posted:

is it just me or do these guys look big for flyweight?

good fight tho

It's just because smol ref but these guys are both tallish for the division. Not massive though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Unperson_47 posted:

kara--france is so lame. what is with all those faces he's pulling

Never seen a haka huh

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tai's entire offense is just loading up into a left hook or overhand right and Volkov is just going"lol here's an uppercut" every time. Tai also just kinda of shuffles backwards when he gets stung and well, if you can throw a straight punch - which is in itself not a given at heavyweight - it lands.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

That's some first week at BJJ level defense.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Israels weird gyno titty is distracting

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LOL LMAO

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Strickland is better than this thread thinks he is.

He just gets the colby downgrade because "i don't like him" but he's a legit world class fighter.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I still think that theres a good solid argument for 2 -1 to Strickland.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Strickland from my card, just needs to survive round 5 at anything less than a 10-8 and it's "AAAAAAND NEW"

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

delightful posted:

3-1 Strickland?!

100% how I have it.

Strickland looked clearly the better fighter 1 and 4, Izzy easily round 2. So it comes down to 3 and I think Sean dominating the activity and cage control gives him the edge. Even though I'd argue he outstruck him there too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

It'll be fun that the only two good dudes to hold the MW belt since GSP will be Bobby knuckles and Peirera.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

crepeface posted:

if i were adesanya i would simply stop being punched in the face

He doesn't look like he game planned for this at all... Absolutely no strategy behind his offense this fight. No leg kicks, no high low change ups, no working the body to affect the cardio. He's just getting worked.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Du Plessis v Strickland going to be fun as hell from a fight perspective.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

That's a masterful performance from a huge, huge underdog. He deserves his props.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Goofballs posted:

Just cutting the mics because who knows what will happen or is the stream just making GBS threads itself

no it's them 100%.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sean seemed to pick up - or maybe at least his coaches did from Bobby's mistakes and what Jan was able to do and he just dominated. I don't care about poo poo outside the cage anymore - but Strickland put up what was probably one of the best performances to beat a champ in the last few years. Dude was incredible really.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

rjmccall posted:

Supposedly, he grew up in a hosed up family where his father was a mean drunk and his grandfather was a turbo racist. He went through a “phase” in high school where he ideolized his grandfather and considered himself a neo-nazi, including getting kicked out of school for “hate crimes”. Now he says he’s past that. You can take that as you will.

To me, what he’s said reads like a pretty frank and clear refutation of that part of his past; it’s not some pussy-footing bullshit where he acts like it wasn’t that bad, I guess we all gotta say this now, wink-wink for the folks back home. There are overtly white supremacist families out there, and the kids in them are hearing that poo poo every day. That’s something they have to learn to overcome to be decent people, but it is possible to do that, and in my (very small amount of) searching I haven’t seen anything to make me think that’s not the case here. But I can understand people being iffy about it, especially because he’s still pretty chuddy, just not an avowed neo-nazi anymore.

Yeah I've heard the same.

Israel just bailed from the press conference without answering any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A Passing Feeling posted:

I'm not saying that feinting is a bad tool or isn't a legit way to get a read on your opponents or set things up, but I do feel like there's been a recent overemphasis on ''oh my GOD look at the FEINTS'' during City Kickboxing fights in the same way a smug jazz fan might tell you it's all about the notes that they're NOT playing

This happened against Blachowicz too IIRC - the commentary gasping at Adesanya's incredible feints while Jan decided to take the simpler route of actually punching the dude in front of him, no matter how much he might be twitching in various directions.

The Strickland fight kind of demonstrated again that just feinting a lot and doing (genuinely) very impressive movements isn't a particularly great way to actually win a fight (you have to punch and kick the other person too - and they might even defend and try to stop you from doing that!!!)

Typing that out sounds incredibly stupid but apparently it was beyond the gameplan for Adesanya tonight, even when obviously down 3 rounds

No urgency, no real plan - you know the guy is coming in there to walk you down, throw 1-2 combinations, and do his best not to get hit. It is literally the only thing that he can do and has ever done.

Your strategy as a world champion kickboxer: walk backwards, fail to defend against 1-2s, throw simple strikes that are deflected with minimal effort, but by god the feints were twitchier and more ferocious than ever.

anyway the flyweights were great and if kape gets the title at some point that would be a fun rematch

No. you make a good point. One of my coaches used to say feinting is fine - but you're best off doing it after you've gained your opponents respect. If you want to distract someone with your hand - hit them with it. His reasoning always seemed pretty sound to me. I think fighters can sometimes fall into that trap of looking for an opening that they forget - you are there to hit people, that needs to be the foundation. You can start feinting a jab but if you never crack me with one I'm not going to give a poo poo after a minute.