Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

why even have the level app if your phone doesnt have a flat reference surface that isnt the screen

poo poo i didn't think of that, thats a p good argument tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
camera bump is dumb as poo poo. A phone is effectively as thick as its thickest part, so just make it that thick all over and fill it with battery and have 4 days of talk time.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

iphone 16 featuring roadside assistance (you can use it to jump start your car)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i use the level on my phone (way) more than bubble levels. but the strange world of keeping an old phone charged for leveling purposes seems terrible. i guess i could buy a digital one or something but that also seems non-ideal

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

camera bump is dumb as poo poo. A phone is effectively as thick as its thickest part, so just make it that thick all over and fill it with battery and have 4 days of talk time.

yes this is the correct take

but whatcha gonna do?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

nah its fine.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

i use the level on my phone (way) more than bubble levels. but the strange world of keeping an old phone charged for leveling purposes seems terrible. i guess i could buy a digital one or something but that also seems non-ideal

i keep my old SE in the garage and it plays music and acts as a straightedge and level and stuff but i keep forgetting to plug it in after and it has an ancient battery with like 30 minutes of juice in it so eh

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

nah its fine.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the first gen iphone se was the second best designed iphone after the 4s

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

imagine if they made a iphone 15 pro fatmax with the entire phone the same thickness as the lens and a two week battery

i think i'd pay another grand for that if ur listening timb

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Beeftweeter posted:

the first gen iphone se was the second best designed iphone after the 5

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

was there any external difference between the 5/5S and the 1st gen SE? I dont remember any.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
IIRC 5 or 5S was the first with the new taller aspect ratio

idk if the SE kept the 4S ratio

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

yes

except

I’d probably still want a case on it

in which case

as it is is actually good

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

echinopsis posted:

r u only 14

i used an andoird back in those days :shepface:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

crepeface posted:

beware. beware the bump.

tim cook must resign

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

goblin week posted:

i used an andoird back in those days :shepface:

anroid lol

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

haven’t used a case on a phone ever. last i-prefixed device i damaged by dropping it was a pod, not a phone, some 20 years ago

i can’t just be better at holding a phone than most people, i really don’t get what the deal with cases is

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

also i don't wear seatbelts and i've never crashed my car so what's the big deal

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

r u ready to WALK posted:

imagine if they made a iphone 15 pro fatmax with the entire phone the same thickness as the lens and a two week battery

i think i'd pay another grand for that if ur listening timb

i feel like they could make a pretty decent battery case that used a flat cell below the camera wart and dead air next to it, but it would probably not be magsafe compatible

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

r u ready to WALK posted:

also i don't wear seatbelts and i've never crashed my car so what's the big deal

i also never wear thimbles and my fingers are rarely pricked by needles

what other non sequiturs can we come up with

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
i never wore a condom and i don't have a single baby

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don’t drop my phone much but it’s not never

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

does the knob that people (voluntarily?) glue to the back of their phone compensate for the bump?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i should get one of those at any rate, it is absolutely annoying that it wont lie flat

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm suddenly realizing that people simultaneously crying :cry: a different cable :cry: and :cry: camera bumps :cry: don't have wireless chargers everywhere

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

rotor posted:

was there any external difference between the 5/5S and the 1st gen SE? I dont remember any.

the 5 did not have a touchid home button and the 5s/SE did but otherwise the three were physically identical

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah but the se also had the guts of a much larger, faster phone. it was nearly perfect. the design of the 5/5s was really good but they were pretty slow phones after a few releases. the se was incredibly long lived in comparison

just stuff an oled and iphone 14 or 15 guts in there and i'll be happy tim

e: i had originally thought that the 5/s was 32-bit but i really don't think so. don't feel like looking it up anyway lol

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 13, 2023

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

well, if i'm using it, it's in my hand. if i'm not, it's sitting on the table or desk or whatever.

do some of you actually paw at your phones while they're sitting flat on a desktop? Genuinely curious.

with the size of the edge of camera protective ridges on cases, it doesn't even matter if my phone is on the desk. what am i hard pressing in the upper left?

Beeftweeter posted:

the first gen iphone se was the second best designed iphone after the 4s

the 5 murdered out was my favorite after the 4. just a really nice frame design that went on for a good few models

Armitag3 posted:

does the knob that people (voluntarily?) glue to the back of their phone compensate for the bump?

i got a magsafe ring thing and it wobbles more with it flat on the desk than not lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

i'm suddenly realizing that people simultaneously crying :cry: a different cable :cry: and :cry: camera bumps :cry: don't have wireless chargers everywhere

when i went from my xs to my 14 pro i got a bunch and yeah, who cares about the plug, these things are great. now they're all standby stands, too

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Armitag3 posted:

but enough about the user

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

i keep my old SE in the garage and it plays music and acts as a straightedge and level and stuff but i keep forgetting to plug it in after and it has an ancient battery with like 30 minutes of juice in it so eh

ha i have an iphone 6 in the garage plugged in to my stereo. idk how long the battery lasts unplugged, it might literally not work. it has a cracked screen but i put a protector on it and it works ok.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

well-read undead posted:

haven’t used a case on a phone ever. last i-prefixed device i damaged by dropping it was a pod, not a phone, some 20 years ago

i can’t just be better at holding a phone than most people, i really don’t get what the deal with cases is

the problem in my case is my phone will fall out of my pocket when i'm sitting. i go caseless as well and i just broke the rear glass last week as it fell out of my pocket onto sharp gravel while i was sitting at a picnic bench

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Solution: tighter pants

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Vintersorg posted:

Solution: tighter pants

alternative: more rear end

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my phone case gives me square edges and that’s how I use the level app

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

wireless chargers don’t usually work out for me cuz I gotta use my phone still

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i use a charging cable because it's easy and faster

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

i use this thing from amazon and it works well, the magnet is pretty strong so you have to put a little work into getting it off but it stays put.

bought just for the new clock feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

i use this thing from amazon and it works well, the magnet is pretty strong so you have to put a little work into getting it off but it stays put.

bought just for the new clock feature.

I can't believe esr would sell out like that