Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Don’t just post the game, say why and only pick one game and then I’ll add a poll and we can decide once and for all

My pick:

Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne

It was between this and DQ11 and this won in my mind. I played this during an intense illness in high school on a CRT in my bedroom with no guide, no idea what I was doing, and it was my first SMT game ever. Back then I just bought ever RPG I could for PS2 and I remember being bedridden grinding out levels, recruiting and transforming demons and listening to that incredible soundtrack. Everything this game has, it’s better than anything else. Hard combat, challenging bosses, and the hell that is the Amala network. The first time I played I later found out I did the hardest path and ending because I wanted to finish the Amala network. I beat Lucifer after a week of attempts by the skin of my teeth and I knew there wasn’t going to be a game that I got that into for a long time. It felt like a weight was lifted off my chest when I beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chrono Trigger. Just a perfect game, amazing graphics and music, perfectly paced, doesn’t outstay its welcome, fun characters lots of variety and secrets

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

final fantasy 6. rented it every weekend for a year, got a copy for christmas played it again for an entire other year. absolutely fuckin amazing game

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Chrono Trigger. Just a perfect game, amazing graphics and music, perfectly paced, doesn’t outstay its welcome, fun characters lots of variety and secrets

Yeah it really holds up, too. I played through recently and it's just as good as I remember it being over two decades ago, which is more than I can say for some other games. It will have my vote.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This is a fantastic game and obviously in my top 5 but I feel it lacks any challenge at all

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mass Effect, Skyrim, and Diablo 4 are my top contenders. Let me do some contemplating and I’ll rank that rear end.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

DQXI

Honorable mention to Persona 4. I had never played an SMT game before and had idea what to expect. It was a complety new experience for me and I'll never forget my first playthrough

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

DQXI

Honorable mention to Persona 4. I had never played an SMT game before and had idea what to expect. It was a complety new experience for me and I'll never forget my first playthrough

DQ11 is so close for me, especially as a life long fan and the post game stuff and how it all ties together is incredible

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

yep. also love that you see monsters in the environment doing stuff, all the encounters are in set places rather than random, so they feel like part of the world. double and triple techs kick rear end, so much fun discovering all the combos your characters can do.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

and the positional battle system rules too, with line and circle attacks. game took so many RPG ideas and advanced them in new ways on top of perfect music and great graphics and story

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gotta expand on why ff6 rules it seems.

1) great characters + huge party. theres 14 party members and of em there's only two duds (relm, gau). the main cast are all really well-fleshed out nd the core half-dozen have strong stories. incredible mix of great vignettes (coin song and darill's tomb...) and fuckin good main story that goes to some really wild places. kefka is imo the best villain in final fantasy nd even if you disagree he's up there, hes just such an evil little bitch.

2) amazing graphics + sound. imo this ones the best final fantasy soundtrack and maybe the best snes soundtrack. only one that might be better is chrono trigger. graphics are incredible too, they do a ton of work wth the pixels and sprites and theyre all super expressive. insanely good monster and area designs, awesome color palette, really fuckin cool-looking spells and attacks, game's just gorg

3) great combat + character building. espers pwn, relics are a real good follow-up to the job system, everyone havin unique mechanics on top of that means every character feels unique and interesting. obvs there's some balance issues but that stuff makes games better not worse, imo

4) world of ruin is fuckin incredible. goin from the pretty linear world of balance to a free-form expedition to find your friends nd get strong enough to take down kefka fuckin rocks and there arent many games like it on snes. absolutely godlike gaming.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

second best rpg imo.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Final Fantasy V

I think this game is the complete package. It's sort of middle of the road in all aspects in the best way. Not too short not to long, it's got a great pace, it doesn't take itself too seriously, but still knows how to ratchet up the tension. Mechanically it isn't too complex just for complexity's sake, and it is intuitive without becoming too shallow. The job system basically peaked with this game, letting you grind out the perfect party or just use classes and equipment as they become available and still be able to progress. To top it off the music, art, characters and world all have that same charm that squaresoft was absolutely nailing in the snes era with chrono trigger and super Mario rpg. They even find a way to make a very stereotypical rpg story entertaining by packing plenty of fun little situations and surprises in as you travel from town to town.

FFV is the first game I think of when I think of the genre, and while other games may do individual things better, this game does everything great. I can't think of a more accessible rpg that still delivers on the same level in every way.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

This is a fantastic game and obviously in my top 5 but I feel it lacks any challenge at all

it's really lacking in mechanical complexity. if we praise smt3 for its challenging gameplay we should hold the lack of against CT imo. nothing since has hit the same though, that's the x factor keeping it a top tier rpg imo.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
new vegas: superb writing for a western rpg, where writers can get a little wacky (old world blues lol) or overly dramatic or just underbaked. the skill system is simple and constantly rewarding with skill checks in a huge amount of dialogue trees. the biggest problem besides being unstable at launch is the gunplay, which is pretty janky but combat relies more on your character than your mechanical skill as a shooter. lots of options that all feel viable both in story progression and character progression, there's rarely a clearly best option but it doesn't feel like you can't do any good, there's just not a way to make everyone happy.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

I got the tude now posted:

it's really lacking in mechanical complexity. if we praise smt3 for its challenging gameplay we should hold the lack of against CT imo. nothing since has hit the same though, that's the x factor keeping it a top tier rpg imo.

agreed

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
another good option paper mario: thousand year door. very streamlined rpg, with only mario and a partner but there's customization options to keep gameplay fresh and interesting. paired with a lighthearted and genuinely funny story it's as much of a heavy hitter as the classics of the snes or ps1

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I should replay ttyd. I like paper mario 1 more but I've played it a bunch of times and ttyd only once. as I recall I didn't like the main villains and preferred the system where helpers didn't have hp from the first game, but it definitely deserves a fresh look

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

When I first read the prompt, my knee-jerk reaction was Chrono Trigger (for all the reasons previously stated), but FF6 is absolutely on my short list, as well. FF6 has an extremely rare blend of epic storytelling, interesting characters, complex yet accessible mechanics, and goofiness that I think makes it stand out among the genre.

I also absolutely love Fallout: New Vegas. What we got was great, but I'd kill to see what Obsidian could have produced if they had actually been given the time/money to properly finish the game.

At the risk of being the insufferable tabletop / PC gamer nerd, I submit for your consideration:

Planescape: Torment

The writing in this game is extremely good. The plot is solid, but the standout here is the character writing. Basically all of the major characters are deep, compelling, and work into the grander plot in fascinating ways. It also did shades-of-grey moral choices before it was cool (and, arguably, better than any game since). Also, the worldbuilding leans into the weirder aspects of the D&D canon, which I love. The big minuses against it are an unfun and baffling early game ("Cool, I can explore the entirety of the City of Doors!" followed immediately by "Okay, so where the gently caress do I go?") and that it feels a bit held back by D&D mechanics and the Infinity Engine generally.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Starfield.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Nocturne is the game that reignited my love for jrpgs after a pretty extended break from them when I played it in 2012. Since then I think they've been my most played genre by a pretty large margin.

I don't know if it's still my favorite, but it certainly was back then.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

hamsauce666 posted:

When I first read the prompt, my knee-jerk reaction was Chrono Trigger (for all the reasons previously stated), but FF6 is absolutely on my short list, as well. FF6 has an extremely rare blend of epic storytelling, interesting characters, complex yet accessible mechanics, and goofiness that I think makes it stand out among the genre.

I also absolutely love Fallout: New Vegas. What we got was great, but I'd kill to see what Obsidian could have produced if they had actually been given the time/money to properly finish the game.

At the risk of being the insufferable tabletop / PC gamer nerd, I submit for your consideration:

Planescape: Torment

The writing in this game is extremely good. The plot is solid, but the standout here is the character writing. Basically all of the major characters are deep, compelling, and work into the grander plot in fascinating ways. It also did shades-of-grey moral choices before it was cool (and, arguably, better than any game since). Also, the worldbuilding leans into the weirder aspects of the D&D canon, which I love. The big minuses against it are an unfun and baffling early game ("Cool, I can explore the entirety of the City of Doors!" followed immediately by "Okay, so where the gently caress do I go?") and that it feels a bit held back by D&D mechanics and the Infinity Engine generally.

I agree with this however in terms of CRPGs I would consider BG2 superior in every way to Planescape minus some character arcs

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

I agree with this however in terms of CRPGs I would consider BG2 superior in every way to Planescape minus some character arcs

Yeah, I was torn between pitching BG2 or P:T. BG2's writing is quite good (the plot is insanely epic) and (unlike big chunks of P:T) it's actually fun to play. The characters, worldbuilding, and philosophizing in Planescape: Torment are unmatched, though.

drat it, this is like asking a parent to choose their favorite child. I could make a top 5 unranked shortlist without too much pain, but picking a "best of all time" is brutal.

Also, just in case there wasn't enough chaff in this discussion, Mass Effect 2 absolutely deserves consideration (though, I don't think it's necessarily a strong contender). It's an extremely tightly plotted Dirty Dozen story with solid gameplay mechanics. Act 1 is the high and tight intro, Act 2 is getting the band together, and Act 3 is the suicide mission to save the world. The character writing is solid (with some low notes - Jacob is boring and Grunt will always be a piss poor substitute for the legend, the real one, the baddest motherfucker in the galaxy - Urdnot Wrex) and the gameplay is the best of the series. The biggest mark against it is the series' signature black-and-white morality choices.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I've been catching up on JRPGs in the last few years, playing a lot of DQ, SMT, FF, Xenoblade... if I limit myself to that category, my top would probably be

5. SMT4A
4. Lufia II
3. FF6
2. Earthbound
1. DQ11

If I consider EVERYTHING with an RPG tag it gets a lot more complicated. Is Astlibra better than Dragon's Dogma? Depends on the day of the week. But my pick should really be Caves of Qud. It's all I could ever want from an open world game. The best bits of Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dune and more, rolled into a well defined world with the extended gameplay benefits of procedural generation.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

hamsauce666 posted:

Yeah, I was torn between pitching BG2 or P:T. BG2's writing is quite good (the plot is insanely epic) and (unlike big chunks of P:T) it's actually fun to play. The characters, worldbuilding, and philosophizing in Planescape: Torment are unmatched, though.

drat it, this is like asking a parent to choose their favorite child. I could make a top 5 unranked shortlist without too much pain, but picking a "best of all time" is brutal.

Also, just in case there wasn't enough chaff in this discussion, Mass Effect 2 absolutely deserves consideration (though, I don't think it's necessarily a strong contender). It's an extremely tightly plotted Dirty Dozen story with solid gameplay mechanics. Act 1 is the high and tight intro, Act 2 is getting the band together, and Act 3 is the suicide mission to save the world. The character writing is solid (with some low notes - Jacob is boring and Grunt will always be a piss poor substitute for the legend, the real one, the baddest motherfucker in the galaxy - Urdnot Wrex) and the gameplay is the best of the series. The biggest mark against it is the series' signature black-and-white morality choices.

Mass Effect 2 is great but tainted by the existence of ME3, whether that is fair or not lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

bees x1000 posted:

I've been catching up on JRPGs in the last few years, playing a lot of DQ, SMT, FF, Xenoblade... if I limit myself to that category, my top would probably be

5. SMT4A
4. Lufia II
3. FF6
2. Earthbound
1. DQ11

If I consider EVERYTHING with an RPG tag it gets a lot more complicated. Is Astlibra better than Dragon's Dogma? Depends on the day of the week. But my pick should really be Caves of Qud. It's all I could ever want from an open world game. The best bits of Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dune and more, rolled into a well defined world with the extended gameplay benefits of procedural generation.

Lufia 2 is quite the interesting choice and you don't see it thrown around a lot, but it is up there overall.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Nethack. It's hard to go back to nowadays but it blew my mind in a way that no other game has, in a lot of ways everybody else is still trying to catch up to it.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

welcome posted:

Nethack. It's hard to go back to nowadays but it blew my mind in a way that no other game has, in a lot of ways everybody else is still trying to catch up to it.

you don't think DCSS is better in most ways or no? I've played Nethack but it never really did anything for me

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I need to sleep on this

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

rpg - morrowind

jrpg - chrono trigger

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dq11 is perfect

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

heehee posted:

Starfield.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Urm, OK... sooo, I last saved in Cydonia and when I load the save my character just starts punching non-stop. Nothing I can do stops it. To make matters complicated, Sarah was right in front of me when I saved, so my character just impulsively decks her as soon as the game loads... :v:

Now, I know Sarah is a bit of a killjoy, but I'm not sure if this bug-induced violence will have any additional complications, like causing me to have a bounty for hitting her. I also can't stop punching, so talking to people in this save may be somewhat more complicated than usual. No idea how often this bug occurs, but yeah, you might want to make sure to always have a backup save, just as a PSA. Since I tested a few times and it seems like that particular save file is screwed for me now, but previous ones are OK.

heehee posted:

Starfield.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
thank you, shin megami tensei: nocturne

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

east coast - nocturne
west coast - morrowind

if you like religion, demons, angels, metaphysics, and big rear end tits both games are for you

----------------

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

insane anime posted:

east coast - nocturne
west coast - morrowind

if you like religion, demons, angels, metaphysics, and big rear end tits both games are for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne0RrK5qJ-k

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

i like that sketch a lot. mr show is kind of up its own rear end a lot of the time but it was still very funny lol

----------------

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

insane anime posted:

i like that sketch a lot. mr show is kind of up its own rear end a lot of the time but it was still very funny lol

cmon lol.... it was so ahead of its time

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

cmon lol.... it was so ahead of its time

i said its a very funny show! i dont know how you got enough room in your mouth for david cross and arthur morgans cocks and still be talking that bullshit, but i guess youre a man of mini talents :D

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

insane anime posted:

i said its a very funny show! i dont know how you got enough room in your mouth for david cross and arthur morgans cocks and still be talking that bullshit, but i guess youre a man of mini talents :D

I will believe that about david... but don't drag down Arthur into this