Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think it's Chrono Trigger on the strength of its music, aesthetic, and scenario writing. bbg is right that it lacks challenge when you're not a dumbass child but there's romhacks for that. Nocturne however is probably the only game that comes anywhere near close in my eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

That Little Demon posted:

I will believe that about david... but don't drag down Arthur into this

i only watch this now https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28554014/?ref_=tt_mv_close

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Shes a Wahlberg now huh... TIL

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

1000 Year Door is also up there for sure

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Xenoblade 3 is probably my favorite of the last 5 years or more maybe, but FF7 was my first jrpg and still top of the list for me

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I can't pick anything other than Earthbound. I'm one of those.

I love its attitude, style, and atmosphere. it's one of those games like Killer 7 or TWEWY or Majora's Mask where what's going on in and outside of its borders are just so vibrantly suggestive of a fully realized world that what the game actually is kind of expands in your mind into something bigger that resonates deeply and makes you want to spend more time there. there's an authentic wickedness to what's going on in Earthbound's world, but also a playfulness, an enduring, endearing sense of indomitable innocence. it feels like playing. like it exists inside the feeling of kids going outside and telling a story to each other about monsters and dreams and friendship and the end of the whole wide world.
but it's also one of those games like Snake Eater or RE4 that I've played to completion a dozen times over, and I'll probably keep replaying for the rest of my life, because it's just really good. like, the best version of itself that I can imagine. it's simple, but interesting and unique to play, with the rolling hp counter and jeff's tools and the prayer mechanic and how in the overworld you can get a jump on enemies and the thing where low-level encounters end automatically. it's quirky in a way that makes me wish quirky wasn't a dirty word. but it also doesn't just roll over for you- peaceful rest valley will absolutely annihilate you if you aren't ready for it
(and on top of all that, it's just one of those games from my childhood that meant so much to me as a kid that through the haze of nostalgia I'm functionally incapable of finding fault with them)

somebody said of Jim Henson's The Cube that talking about it as an adult with other people who'd seen it was "like we'd all seen the same u.f.o. as kids"
that's kinda Earthbound to me in a nutshell. it feels like I experienced something otherworldly

there's an interview with Shigesato Itoi and Satoru Iwata (r.i.p.) that seems to have disappeared from the live internet but I hunted a copy down on archive.org because it's good and I wanted to reread it to help collect my thoughts. I think this part is telling:

quote:

ITOI: The Octopus Eraser would actually erase all the octopuses in the world. So after using it to erase the octopus blocking the path, I could also imagine the octopus inside takoyaki everywhere (translation note: fried octopus dumplings) suddenly vanishing, and people being like, “Hey, there’s no octopus in this!” That wasn’t something I put in the game, but thinking about that sort of stuff is a hobby of mine.

IWATA: I understand that feeling very well.

ITOI: Being weird or goofy isn’t my only aim, though. It might not be something game creators these days go for, but more than anything I have this strong desire to make people feel distraught. I want to give them laughter and joy too, of course, but I’m always filled with the desire to make people feel ever-so slightly heartbroken. Not just in games, but all sorts of things I work on.

IWATA: You aim for that, rather than try to deeply move them or make them cry?

ITOI: Right. I feel, “I want to make them feel distraught.”

IWATA: I can’t really think of any other things that are made with that mindset.

NAGATA: Neither can I.
every-so-slightly heartbroken. these guys.

I've been going through some Boss Fight Books for light reading (they're kinda like 33 1/3 but for video games) and the one on Earthbound had a couple of
ah, I'm just gonna post it

"sentimental mongrel spirit"
yes. yes.

:words:

ok. I think that's all I have to say. it's probably not going to win, but I had to make the case for it. Earthbound rules

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

jagged alliance 2

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

[3rd eye suddenly expanding to colossal proportions] trouble in terrorist town

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
deus ex

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Chrono Trigger. Just a perfect game, amazing graphics and music, perfectly paced, doesn’t outstay its welcome, fun characters lots of variety and secrets

Fungah! posted:

final fantasy 6. rented it every weekend for a year, got a copy for christmas played it again for an entire other year. absolutely fuckin amazing game

epic answers as well

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Final Fantasy 6. Basically what Fungah! said. My top five are:

1. FF6
2. DQXI
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Fallout: New Vegas
5. FF7

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dude sex

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

dude sex

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

That Little Demon posted:

you don't think DCSS is better in most ways or no? I've played Nethack but it never really did anything for me

Crawl kicks rear end and is definitely more playable today thanks to active development, Nethack hasn't had any really significant gameplay changes since freaking 1999. But the, ahem, emergent gameplay features in Nethack are something that most other roguelikes don't even try to include, let alone most other RPGs. Yeah gnomes with wands of death suck. But a gnome that chugs a potion of gain level before you can get to it, hoping to grow up to a gnome lord, only to float through the ceiling because it was a cursed potion? That kicks rear end.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome posted:

Crawl kicks rear end and is definitely more playable today thanks to active development, Nethack hasn't had any really significant gameplay changes since freaking 1999. But the, ahem, emergent gameplay features in Nethack are something that most other roguelikes don't even try to include, let alone most other RPGs. Yeah gnomes with wands of death suck. But a gnome that chugs a potion of gain level before you can get to it, hoping to grow up to a gnome lord, only to float through the ceiling because it was a cursed potion? That kicks rear end.

incorrect! th devs came out of hiding to nerf the poo poo out of elbereth which is loving BULLSHIT

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ia gree though, nethack's obtuse as hell and insanely tough/deadly but its so sick, theres tons of weird interactions nd system mastery plateaus to beat it (i never have). still not a better game thn ff6 to the extent you can compare them but it's a shitload of fun. adom too

Johnny Lee Wombat
Jan 1, 2010
Earth Defense Force 4 and 5. You get infinite rockets and all the buildings are destructible, plus all the aliens are dismemberable so you get limbs flying everywhere.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Johnny Lee Wombat
Jan 1, 2010
Actually Far Cry 2's is better if it starts fires, not sure if it does or if that's just the flamethrower. The fires in that game were amazing.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Johnny Lee Wombat posted:

Earth Defense Force 4 and 5. You get infinite rockets and all the buildings are destructible, plus all the aliens are dismemberable so you get limbs flying everywhere.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lol. but also respect to Earth Defense Force.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Fungah! posted:

dude sex

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

lol. but also respect to Earth Defense Force.

no

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

lmao

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I’ll get flamed for this but as it was my first I have a strong love of Final Fantasy 8. I was probably too young to appreciate or master 7 but I really liked the world, the junction system and then mini games.

As for modern stuff I really liked Persona 5. Good characters, good tunes and at times a sort of platform-y vibe to it in the palaces.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Brass Hand posted:

I’ll get flamed for this but as it was my first I have a strong love of Final Fantasy 8. I was probably too young to appreciate or master 7 but I really liked the world, the junction system and then mini games.

As for modern stuff I really liked Persona 5. Good characters, good tunes and at times a sort of platform-y vibe to it in the palaces.

8 isn’t bad it just had a lot going against it. I hated persona 5 so I won’t speak to that

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Persona 5's aesthetic is tight. shame about everything else

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FF8 can be fun but if we're gonna give the Greatest RPG title to an insane mess of half thought out mechanics there's an entire series worth of SaGa games ahead of it in line.

Anyway I think DQV ought to be on the ballot, out of all the DQs it hits the perfect balance between a fun story and characters, and goofy free form party customization with all the monsters you could recruit.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Balamb Garden music is purified nostalgia for me personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Balamb Garden music is purified nostalgia for me personally

best OST of all time is a whole nother thread to do. FF8 is definitely at least top 3