Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

DQV definitely in the top 5, probably the best story in any game ever. And the way its told is something only games can do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

DQV definitely in the top 5, probably the best story in any game ever. And the way its told is something only games can do

DQV is an all timer for sure along with XI

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

DQV definitely in the top 5, probably the best story in any game ever.

indisputable

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

3, 4, and 5 all feel like they have a shot at the title honestly. Killer run for the series

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
dragon quest overall is a better series than FF when comparing them both

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
drat guess I need to play DQ5

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

when's that DQ3 remake coming out? how many years has it been since that was shown off

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

grieving for Gandalf posted:

when's that DQ3 remake coming out? how many years has it been since that was shown off

3? lol I dunno but feels like forever and it looked done in the trailer so who knows

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

sourdough posted:

drat guess I need to play DQ5

no poo poo

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Earthbound already got a love letter and I would almost say it too (playing on an emulator until the sun came up as a teenager on summer break…) but when I really think about it, I would have to go with Mother 3 instead. It hits all the same sweet off beat and nostalgic vibes but plays better and has a more coherent story that can be really heartbreaking in a way Earthbound never quite reaches. Perfect game. Thank you Shigesato Itoi and Clyde “Tomato” Mandelin.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Punished Chuck posted:

3, 4, and 5 all feel like they have a shot at the title honestly. Killer run for the series

7 and 8 too.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

FF7 and KH are the only JRPGs I’ve finished but I like the first few hours of DQ1 and 11 better than either of those so I’m inclined to believe the DQ simps.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

amazed that's it's taken 3 pages before anyone has mentioned Undertale or Deltarune ...

serious answer is that I'm struggling between picking Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI, both are obvious choices that represent the pinnacle of JRPGs on the SNES imo

gonna go with Chrono Trigger based on how many times I've played it, I've gotten every ending a couple times over the years and I'll usually do a playthrough every year or so. it never gets old to me. Squaresoft put all their best guys on developing this one and it shows. the story, the artwork, the characters, the music, the gameplay are all god tier.

my only criticism is the same as TLD's which is that the game is so, so easy, especially on replays, unless you're playing a rebalanced romhack or inventing dumb little challenges for yourself during a playthrough like not allowing healing or certain techs during boss battles or something idk. if the game were a bit more challenging overall, it wouldn't have even been a question between CT or FFVI for me.

also special mention to both of these games for being the first RPGs I had ever played up to that point that actually had a story i cared about lol.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

gonna make this my next JRPG playthrough based on everything I've heard here and in the DQ thread

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i think something incredible about Chrono Trigger too is how the brainstorming for it begat several other beloved JRPGs over the following years. the ball that started rolling during Chrono Trigger's development ended up influencing FF7 and Parasite Eve (The Thing-inspired entity falls from outer space) at the least

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
super mario rpg. probably the most important game ever to me, solidified my love of rpgs and just in general defined a lot of my taste in games. extremely weird and charming, fantastically paced, tons of cool secrets to find, tough enough to challenge you as an 8 year old and still just overall fun enough to blitz through when you're a wise adult who understands the buff spell is actually useful. hoype for the remake

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

that trailer is the last anyone saw of it. square is a loving disaster, dq11 was a miracle

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

super mario rpg. probably the most important game ever to me, solidified my love of rpgs and just in general defined a lot of my taste in games. extremely weird and charming, fantastically paced, tons of cool secrets to find, tough enough to challenge you as an 8 year old and still just overall fun enough to blitz through when you're a wise adult who understands the buff spell is actually useful. hoype for the remake

I agree with all of this but SMRPG is way too easy to be considered the best ever IMO

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

my personal favorites are FF5, chrono trigger, and earthbound. but if i were to say overall they really did hit it out of the park with DQ11. beautiful graphics and world to look at, dense with things to do, fun characters, easy and flashy battles, great story. its the total package

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Final Fantasy Tactics

Extremely tight game system, modular customization of builds for combos, variety of character types and enemies, very compelling story and lore, great replayablity value. Absolutely my most favorite and most played and replayed RPG ever.

Feb 2, 2005
Dragon Quest XI ruined all other games for me for about half a year. It is pleasant mathelating and bopping manga-pop monsters for rewards rendered in perfect typography.

It is a summer stroll, a boxing match, and your favorite taffy sticking to the roof of your mouth which you lick and lick until it's hard to know what is candy and what is you.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
My favourite would have to be TES4: Oblivion, personally. Fallout: New Vegas and Deus Ex are also great though, as are many of the other suggestions in here

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

That Little Demon posted:

Mass Effect 2 is great but tainted by the existence of ME3, whether that is fair or not lol

People who say this were loving high on games journalism back in the day and it shows.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My picks for a top 5 in no order

Fallout New Vegas: this is probably the first game I ever imagined a character and role played them. I played the poo poo out of the launch version and all of the dlc. Dead money was the best one and I don’t care what you think

Final fantasy 8: I went to sleep for a year dreaming my asscheeks regular high school would launch into the sky and get into military battles with the school across town and my teacher is a loving hottie that wants to gently caress me and is the same age as me. gently caress *punches a cushion*

Chrono trigger: I never finished a jrpg older than ff7 until I emulated this and blasted all the way through it. I cared about all the party members and wished them all the best.

Kotor 2: this game made me think Star Wars was loving cool until I found out that Lucasart or whatever was like nooooo the force isn’t nuanced! It’s goodies vs baddies! Pussies

Skyrim: I’m the only one brave enough to say this without being a troll. Skyrim ftw.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Skyrim: I’m the only one brave enough to say this without being a troll. Skyrim ftw.

despite its flaws, it was still one of the best games i'd ever played until i became far too OP and then saw how anticlimactic the main questline ending was. i'll absolutely start a new character some day though.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

tmfc posted:

despite its flaws, it was still one of the best games i'd ever played until i became far too OP and then saw how anticlimactic the main questline ending was. i'll absolutely start a new character some day though.

thats crazy because its one of the worst pieces of poo poo I've ever played lol

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i haven't played any other TES games in any meaningful sense so that should explain a lot

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Jesus, Mary and God could come down from Heaven hand in hand and personally tell me that final fantasy viii is a good game and i still wouldnt believe it. piece of poo poo game

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
epic soundtrack, but thats it

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

tmfc posted:

i haven't played any other TES games in any meaningful sense so that should explain a lot

if only there was some incentive to play a previous one, maybe some kind of game club you could be a part of

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fucker posted:

Jesus, Mary and God could come down from Heaven hand in hand and personally tell me that final fantasy viii is a good game and i still wouldnt believe it. piece of poo poo game

triple triad + first disc still rules even if it gets dumb later

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i fully intend to go back to Morrowind for impmas, was way too busy to commit to it last month but i did set up OpenMW and the modpack you thoughtfully curated so i'll be set for later this year.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

triple triad ftw but yeh 8 is mid otherwise. drawing magic is the most boring thing on earth

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

mbt posted:

triple triad + first disc still rules even if it gets dumb later

this.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Fungah! posted:

drawing magic is the most boring thing on earth

absolutely this

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Fucker posted:

Finally somebody said it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fungah! posted:

triple triad ftw but yeh 8 is mid otherwise. drawing magic is the most boring thing on earth

The good news is eventually you can just turn your triple triad cards into magic instead of ever drawing again. It's kind of a shame that they never made a another game with the basic idea behind FF8's mechanics, but learning from the experience and making it all actually work.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fucker posted:

epic soundtrack, but thats it

And the characters and story and gameplay and everything else about it too (except drawing magic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That Little Demon posted:

thats crazy because its one of the worst pieces of poo poo I've ever played lol

This lol. It signals its own uh, emptiness from the very beginning so it’s hard to give a poo poo to begin with. It’s alright for like Chill Grinding and maybe one or the best for that.