Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yakuza 5, because it's the Yakuza game with the most varied and fun side poo poo to do in it, and that's always the best part of Yakuza. It's the one with the full featured hunting FPS, racing, and taxi minigames in it, and unlike Y0/2, it has Taiga Saejima, and my favorite one-off player character, Shinada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

GameCube posted:

that's not an RPG.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yakuza 5, because it's the Yakuza game with the most varied and fun side poo poo to do in it, and that's always the best part of Yakuza. It's the one with the full featured hunting FPS, racing, and taxi minigames in it, and unlike Y0/2, it has Taiga Saejima, and my favorite one-off player character, Shinada.

thats definitely not an rpg

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
can't believe nobody's said need for speed underground 2 yet. hello???

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Fungah! posted:

Call the mainline Yakuza games an RPG again.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Fungah! posted:

it's an action rpg

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

mycophobia posted:

it's an action rpg

It is not.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mycophobia posted:

it's an action rpg

no way on earth

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

mycophobia posted:

it's an action rpg

No numbers no rpg.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Racing lagoon is an rpg though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

that's because Road Trip Adventure/Choro-Q HG 2 is the better open world racer, and i want to make a thread about it now

mycophobia posted:

it's an action rpg

it is. if it's too borderline i will vote for Pokémon HG/SS. i don't think the pokemon games died or anything, and I really enjoyed s/v but this is the one that is huge enough to have the entire R/G world in postgame, and has the boss fight against red, which is the coolest fight in the series except maybe the one at the end of Arceus. Ultra Sun/Moon is close but doesn't let you off the leash for too long. thank you.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i say trouble in terrorist town and no one bats an eye. someone says yakuza 5 and everyone loses their minds

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

trying to jack off posted:

i say trouble in terrorist town and no one bats an eye. someone says yakuza 5 and everyone loses their minds

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

TTT is all about roleplaying

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Using a Garry script hack to blow peoples heads off with the deagle across the map and coughing in the mic whenever someone threw smoke in TTT was some of the funniest gaming of my life.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

TTT is all about roleplaying

hell, no argument from me

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

Using a Garry script hack to blow peoples heads off with the deagle across the map and coughing in the mic whenever someone threw smoke in TTT was some of the funniest gaming of my life.

anythingthat results is 12 years olds roleplaying over mic and getting insanely mad when someone else isnt taking it as serious rules

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
If I learned anything from this thread, I owe myself a playthrough of DQ5.

Ultima 7 brought back old friends for a fun romp. The combat wasn't anything to write home about, but threw world invited exploration, the writing was fun, the characters memorable, and the Guardian a constant companion.

I enjoyed Suikoden I, but the sequel got its hooks in me. I found Luca to be an amazing villain to motivate the player to beat him. The returning companions were charming. The music was atmospheric, and there was a lot of it.

If Nethack makes it in, I've got to bring up Dungeons of Daggorath. Some warlock fit a first-person, real-time dungeon crawler with sound effects into 8kb in 1983 for the red-headed stepchildren with a TRS-80. The experience and stats are obfuscated and tied to your heartbeat and ability to identify the magic items you encounter throughout the adventure.

I was obsessed with these games for years of my life.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Threw world huh. Everyone laugh at this clown’s typo. Now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Threw world huh. Everyone laugh at this clown’s typo. Now.

I'm laughing at it + the various badass gangtags.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

smt iv reignited my love of rpgs, so easy nomination

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Burning Sherman's Atlanta-Style Barbecue Brothers.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol but to me it sounded more like

Quote posted:

Dragon Quest XI ruined all other games for me for about half a year. It is pleasant mathelating and bopping manga-pop monsters for rewards rendered in perfect typography.

It is a summer stroll, a boxing match, and your favorite taffy sticking to the roof of your mouth which you lick and lick until it's hard to know what is candy and what is you.

/

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Plutonis posted:

/

lol

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Plutonis posted:

/

lol

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
I liked Etrian Odyssey 1. Compared to the newer releases, it's very barebones, but i loved the world and the minimal story and the godlike FM Synth ost from Yuzo Koshiro.

Also the SaGa series, and if I had to pick one from there, either FF Legend 2 or Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song. Minstrel Song is kind of ugly but I found it charming and I love the story, characters and when you spark a move mid combat to turn the tide of battle, I don't think anything in gaming has ever come close to me as feeling as amazing.

Everyone has already posted more eloquent things about better games, but the etrian odyssey and SaGa series are definitely my favorites.

But my REAL answer is Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Pool Of Radiance is the best rpg you can play on a Mac Plus, but I think BG2 + throne of bhall is pretty great. There’s more options and more stuff to do and more ways to do it than most RPGs and it looks good and is fun. I think it’s my favorite.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

every ps2 smt
smt 5
kenshi
ffx
deus ex

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I got the tude now posted:

skyrim vibes are on point. that's pretty much it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ7tsL47KRw

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

major addendum: Elden Ring.