Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Hotfix today gives everyone 1000 H’Oddments and grants a guaranteed 25 H’Os for each pumpkin smashed.

Will this quell redditor outrage? No, of course not - this patch is no replacement to the years of therapy and medication required - but let’s all take a moment to thank the outrage engine for getting us some free Halloween bullshit.

boho fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

HDOS has a client-side custom quest as of today, should be sticking around for the rest of Halloween. Obviously no real rewards or anything, and you just "respawn" on death, but it's a neat li'l romp.

also

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
HDOS is slick - both looking and running better out of the box than 117 HD + Animation Smoothing + numerous tweaks under Runelite - but plugins are going to be an uphill battle. Importing my Runelite only enabled a few plugins on its small list.

It kind of reminds me of the state of Morrowind modding: someone re-wrote the Morrowind engine, and while it runs fantastically well with little tweaking, it supports only the simplest of mods, and isn't taken particularly seriously by anyone who wants more than the vanilla game. Hopefully HDOS doesn't meet the same fate.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

boho posted:

someone re-wrote the Morrowind engine, and while it runs fantastically well with little tweaking, it supports only the simplest of mods, and isn't taken particularly seriously by anyone who wants more than the vanilla game.

Not to derail or anything, but if you're talking about OpenMW that's no longer the case. It supports a lot of complex mods now as well as its built-in enhancements which make some mods redundant, alongside being completely portable. It's more like what ScummVM is to Monkey Island rather than what HDOS is to OSRS. Most people I know who are super into Morrowind will tell you that you should be using OpenMW. Plus there's the potential that it'll support New Vegas some day.

I think HDOS is always going to be niche, and that'll be largely because of the graphical style. There's enough people who dislike the 08 look that they just won't bother with it at all. The people making it are super passionate though, and they've been at it for several years now.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Nobody Interesting posted:

Not to derail or anything, but if you're talking about OpenMW that's no longer the case.

Last of the derail I promise: I was referring to MWSE, which it doesn’t support. It does look like OpenMW finally managed to add some kind of LUA scripting three months ago, but it’s not compatible and relies on mod authors to port their work to OpenMW-LUA. And who knows, Morrowind’s seemingly endless life might actually see those ports come to pass.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
RS3 is by far the worst case of mudflation I’ve ever seen - so bad that it frequently becomes actively unfun. I had aspirations of sticking with RS3 but the cognitive load compared to OSRS doesn’t feel worth it.

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014
I haven't played either RS (or been on SA) for a hot minute but a friend dragged me back in by buying me a month of membs for my bday. They hate me because the first thing I did when I came back was get spooned the guardians of the rift pet on my third game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if it makes you feel any better, I hate you too

we recently got a friend in on our group ironman squad and he got his d defender done in less than 120 kills total lol

also this was his first hard clue casket

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 4, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

SleepingPizza posted:

I haven't played either RS (or been on SA) for a hot minute but a friend dragged me back in by buying me a month of membs for my bday. They hate me because the first thing I did when I came back was get spooned the guardians of the rift pet on my third game

Honestly I hate you too, did you get the needle too?

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014
I got lantern with the pet (checked guardian after 3 games) and the needle I got after another 20 odd rounds. Still don't have enough to buy any outfit pieces.

Trying to pace myself so I don't get burned out again, so I'm changing up what I do every couple hours. Right now just afking glassblowing after trying out the bird fishing thing on zeah.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SleepingPizza posted:

Hi hello, gently caress you 😊

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

SleepingPizza posted:

I got lantern with the pet (checked guardian after 3 games) and the needle I got after another 20 odd rounds. Still don't have enough to buy any outfit pieces.

Don't show your face on discord you'll have a couple people very mad at you for this lmfao

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Reminder for people that aren't actively playing / on the discord:

:siren: OSRS TRAILBLAZER LEAGUE RELOADED BEGINS NOVEMBER 15TH!* :siren:

Leagues are a two month limited mode with boosted experience rates and unique gameplay modifiers. Stats don't carry over to the main game, but many players including yours truly look forward to leagues as a means of exploring Ironman gameplay, learning new bossing content, and generally having fun blowing up game mechanics.

For more info, check out the wiki page.

*Provided there's no issues on launch resulting in a rollback / delayed release. There will most certainly be issues, there always are.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Soulhunter posted:

Reminder for people that aren't actively playing / on the discord:

:siren: OSRS TRAILBLAZER LEAGUE RELOADED BEGINS NOVEMBER 15TH!* :siren:

Leagues are a two month limited mode with boosted experience rates and unique gameplay modifiers. Stats don't carry over to the main game, but many players including yours truly look forward to leagues as a means of exploring Ironman gameplay, learning new bossing content, and generally having fun blowing up game mechanics.

For more info, check out the wiki page.

*Provided there's no issues on launch resulting in a rollback / delayed release. There will most certainly be issues, there always are.

I’m confused, does this mean I have to restart my account? Why can’t I just play it on the guy I already have?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Everybody starts fresh to stop people stomping through all the content. You get to bring back some cosmetics for taking part

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Yeah, with it being a seasonal mode with up to 16x xp and 5x drop rates that would utterly wreck the live game economy as well if you could bring that back to the main game.

Leagues is like Deadman mode or any other seasonal, you play a fresh account (in this case, an Ironman), starting from base stats with few exceptions. Quests are autocompleted based on regions selected, xp rates scale as you complete tasks and unlock regions. Maxing in just a few weeks and having endgame gear is pretty likely, given how broken the league relic modifiers can be.

In short, you get to play OSRS at lightspeed while competing for world firsts and unlocking cosmetics on the main game.

You *can* log in using your normal account credentials so you don't need to bond an alt, but you still start with fresh stats (your main game stats and items remain unaffected).

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 14, 2023

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You do it with your main account for the rewards, you don't need to make a new one

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AT 5AM AND OPEN PALM SLAM OPEN MY LAPTOP, READY TO EMBARK ON AN EPIC JOURNEY ACROSS GIELINOR IN OLDSCHOOL RUNESCAPE LEAGUES. I HIT THE POWER BUTTON LIKE I'M UNLEASHING A POWERFUL SPELL, AND THE LOADING SCREEN BECOMES MY PORTAL TO ADVENTURE.

I CHANNEL THE ENERGY OF THE GAMING GODS AS I EMBODY THE SPIRIT OF MY CHARACTER, PERFORMING IN-GAME ACTIONS WITH THE SAME INTENSITY AS I HARVEST RESOURCES AND NAVIGATE THROUGH THE VIRTUAL REALM, TAKING ON QUESTS AND SLAYING DRAGONS. WHETHER I'M TAKING DOWN RAIDS OR PERFECTING MY CHOPPING TECHNIQUE, I PUT MY ALL INTO IT, MAKING WHOOSHING SOUNDS AS I SWING MY MIGHTY SWORD.

I REMAIN UNWAVERING IN MY PASSION, UNFLINCHING AS I SOIL MY JORTS IN PURSUIT OF YET ANOTHER 99. I'VE PERFECTED EVERY TASK IN MY THREE-THOUSAND STEP PLAN, MEMORIZED EVERY QUEST, AND I'VE FOUND SOLACE IN SHOUTING IN-GAME LINES ALONGSIDE THE NPCS TO FILL MY APARTMENT WITH LIFE. TWENTY HOURS FLY BY, INCLUDING A GRAND WIND DOWN FOR A SOLID FOUR HOURS OF SLEEP BEFORE I WAKE UP TO DO IT ALL AGAIN.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

drat, is that the lore for leagues 4? They went hard this time.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Leagues hype is giving me the itch to resub...

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
Decided to get into runescape and loaded up OSRS because years ago I heard the newer version was bad. Then I found out RS3 isn't bad? Can anyone tell me the pros and cons? Seems like I'd only want OSRS if I want that old school feel.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

Decided to get into runescape and loaded up OSRS because years ago I heard the newer version was bad. Then I found out RS3 isn't bad? Can anyone tell me the pros and cons? Seems like I'd only want OSRS if I want that old school feel.

I went down the same rabbit hole question and what I learned was:

- OSRS has way way more players, and is good
- RS3 has less players, but is more modern, but also there's a lot of predatory microtransactions and battlepass stuff, and might be a little less good?

They both have their fans and detractors

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

If you used to play runescape in the 200Xes, and haven't played since then, RS3 will be completely unrecognizable to you. It's basically an entirely different game using the same world and some leftover kruft.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad game apart from the endless predatory monetization garbage, but it's not really what I want to play when I want to play runescape.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Any OSRS players I know who also dabble in RS3 play RS3 in ironman mode and focus on the quests.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Fajita Queen posted:

If you used to play runescape in the 200Xes, and haven't played since then, RS3 will be completely unrecognizable to you. It's basically an entirely different game using the same world and some leftover kruft.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad game apart from the endless predatory monetization garbage, but it's not really what I want to play when I want to play runescape.

I think either version is unrecognizable compared to what existed in the 2000s.

If you played RuneScape in the 2000s and have an account, it still exists in RS3. It is the same 'RuneScape game' with a modern game engine: the 3rd engine, hence RS3.

OSRS is a fork of a 2007 backup of RuneScape that began with a blank slate in terms of accounts. It also had a community driven aspect (poll voting) as far as determining what content updates and rule changes it would receive.

Long-term players were essentially along for the ride with whatever Jagex did to RuneScape, while OSRS players had significantly more influence in how that version developed.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Thanks for the feedback. I had never played before but ill stick with OSRS for now as I don't mind the old style. I'll join the goon clan and discord when I'm a bit more familiar with what I'm doing (so far I've only done the tutorial and cooking quest for the incompetent chef).

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Blacula posted:

a modern game engine

I dunno about this one

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
RS3 is fun. Play ironman

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Playing RS3 means you have to play with the ghost of fishmech looking over your avatars shoulder all the time.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Occasionally I am reminded that that happened and that is crazy to me

The clan (and Discord) are much more tame these days and that is good

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

shirunei posted:

Playing RS3 means you have to play with the ghost of fishmech looking over your avatars shoulder all the time.

My claim to fame is holding the gold key for the clan for a couple days, and using my power to kick fishmech from the clan

The kick didn't take however, someone let them back in for some reason

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
In OSRS how should I be thinking about skill levels? For example, do I just need to decide what I want to level like regular combat, ranged combat or magic? Or do I need to level everything at least a little bit or what?

So far I got the adventure path skills to at least 5, some higher. Just not sure what is best to focus on in the beginning.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

You should just level everything because you will need everything down the line for either quests or just playing the game (bossing / skilling), order doesn't matter, go for whatever you want. Want to do x activity? Level your skill. Runescape is much closer to a sandbox than something that keeps you on a treadmill like WoW.

As a rule of thumb, magic is better earlier (with the exception of a broken rear end weapon but you won't be able to buy that for a very long time), melee is good mid/late, and range excels late. Magic will let you cheese a lot of quests at lower levels because of how dumb it works in OSRS.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I choose which skills to level in OSRS by seeing a quest I want to do and finding the requirements and then working on the first one. Then, while I'm levelling that, I see another quest and forget what I was doing and go try to level for that instead. Then I remember my birdhouses & herbs & remember I still need to get construction up some more and the tab with the quest I originally wanted is buried somewhere among all the others.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

In OSRS how should I be thinking about skill levels? For example, do I just need to decide what I want to level like regular combat, ranged combat or magic? Or do I need to level everything at least a little bit or what?

So far I got the adventure path skills to at least 5, some higher. Just not sure what is best to focus on in the beginning.

best possible advice is just do all quests as early as they can be done. if you want your hand held a little bit, my suggestion is to check the wiki for the optimal quest list, it'll help you decide which order to do them in, because they give a LOT of xp and can skip a lot of grinding. there's a lot more advice i could give if you wanted a more guided experience, but that's all i'd say to the average person who wants to do it on their own.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Thanks, all of that makes sense.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

The league is pretty good! I've made it my goal to get a fire cape and that helps a lot with picking relics, which is otherwise a very stressful decision.

And of course I'm already seeing people with fire capes running around. gently caress those guys.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
Someone seemed to get infernal cape on day 1? Or 2?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

gently caress that guy too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Trailblazer League is a lot of fun. Unlocked my last region last night (Desert, Kourend, Tirranwn), hit my first 99 (Farming, because the relic is busted).

Time to farm up a shitload of crystals.