Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

The Lord of Hats posted:

Trailblazer League is a lot of fun. Unlocked my last region last night (Desert, Kourend, Tirranwn), hit my first 99 (Farming, because the relic is busted).

Time to farm up a shitload of crystals.

Yeah the League is some of the most fun I've ever had in an MMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Agreed, I just got tier 7 relic last night so I'm excited to try out Fight Caves (again because I died like a dumbass the first time around).

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm so bad at fight cave lol

Doesn't help that I took the mage relic and magic is the worst combat style for it, I guess.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Fajita Queen posted:

I'm so bad at fight cave lol

Doesn't help that I took the mage relic and magic is the worst combat style for it, I guess.

It's the fight cave not the chamber of secrets

Enchant your hands then throw them

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I am also super bad at Fight Caves lol

With Soul Stealer relic I can get to Jad without using any supplies at least, but last night I hosed it up at that point twice. First time I was trying to get the "survive a hit from Jad without prayer on" task but he just hit me for max, second time I misread a move and he blasted me into the ground.

The really annoying thing is that now everything before Jad is really easy so I have to sit through 50 minutes of stuff before Jad just to get more practice on him.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Leagues complete.

Soul stealer + the archery relic made it an absolute breeze. Jad in HDOS was a bit jarring because his animations were a little different, so I took a hit but that was fine because there's a task and a cheev for it.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Is frozen fishing at the Christmas event good xp? It feels kinda slow?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

leagues was fun. got to run a million clues and go 20->99 farming in under 2 hours. should have gone mage not ranged and unlocked dumb regions but w/e

idk how anyone keeps interest enough to do bossing tho ngl

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Do we still pay out for maxing out guild jobs?

Yearly membership worth buying? Played around to 65 Combat, didn't do much quests, mostly did slayer tower.

Helluva fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 29, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

How do the two versions of this play on Mobile? After playing some of the idle clicker companion game I felt the urge to pick up RS again but I would like it as a tablet game I can play on the couch if I can. I'm leaning towards RS3 for the content but it seems like it might have a bad android client from the bit that I have tried

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 7, 2024

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

I'd say the mobile app for OSRS is better purely for the fact that the UI is easier to come to terms with. It also seems to have a quite a few quality of life settings in-line with third-party apps like Runelite.

The RS3 mobile app is viable for afk tasks, I've gotten use out of it for skilling primarily. Combat on a mobile or tablet UI for RS3 seems unmanageable to me, but maybe others with more experience can speak to that.

I'd say overall, you'll only run into limitations with the mobile app for OSRS with very high level endgame PVM and any PVP, while for RS3 you'll run into limitations for any combat content.

I used to play OSRS primarily on an iPad at work for a couple years, and it worked just as well on my android phone app, I think it has the more polished mobile experience at the moment overall.

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 7, 2024

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
you can AFK very easily on mobile but for anything else from combat to active skilling the screen has to be pretty big to not always misclick. even doing dailies is a pain there.

if your phone supports stuff like picture-in-picture or locking the screen while active (Samsung Game Booster) you can pretty much AFK mine in RS3 for the duration of the logout timer. I can just go jogging or watch shows on my phone while keeping track of notifications with headphones

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

My phone has a pen in it so I can click accurately pretty well, but it sounds like my assumption about the UI is accurate as far as RS3A goes. I'll give it a shot still to see how the client works, maybe it was just janky and unstable because it needs to download all the textures still, but OSRS seems like the way to go

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Yeah the OSRS clients are behind clients like Runelite in terms of list of features, but they made DRASTIC improvements compared to what the game used to be. Hard to know if it will ever reach Runelite parity (because RL will probably keep adding and fine tweaking feature, outside the scope of needing it to fit in the game's code), but a lot of stuff has been integrated, so it is a much better experience - even on the vanilla PC client - than it used to be.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I have been playing a bit of RS3 on my PC just because I found OSRS to be a bit, well, old school for sit down and play for hours kind of stuff, and it's been fun aside from runecrafting being an absolute wiki-hell clusterfuck.

However I tried the android apps on my tablet and unfortunately they both suck. OSRS is stable but the game loads in a very small box around you with giant black walls more than 20 feet away, to the point where navigation becomes a problem. On RS3 the game is a lot better, and I almost like the UI more than PC, but the thing has a lot of slowdown and crashes every five minutes even on a midrange tablet. I'm going to see if I can tank the graphics on RS3 somehow or if there is some sort of processor setting I can change but wowee

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

This may sound silly, but was your zoom set to a super-far distance on OSRS mobile? I agree that it's tiny to an unplayable extent if you're zoomed way out, but you can adjust it so it's pretty much the same between the two versions of the game on mobile apps for world navigation.

Pretty much what I'd expect for performance feedback on the RS3 mobile app. The PC client makes my GPU wind up like crazy sometimes too, just not very well optimized. You can crank the graphics settings down super low on mobile but then you're playing with basically OSRS graphics with muddy textures slapped on :v:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If runelite was on my phone / tablet I’d never stop playing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Soulhunter posted:

This may sound silly, but was your zoom set to a super-far distance on OSRS mobile? I agree that it's tiny to an unplayable extent if you're zoomed way out, but you can adjust it so it's pretty much the same between the two versions of the game on mobile apps for world navigation.

It may be due to using a large tablet and the screen being far larger than the client would expect, leading to seeing a lot of stuff off the screen. I can see if I can bump the view distance, but even if I zoom in more I find that it's too small of an area to really be able to navigate, since you can't see landmarks in the distance and have to go by the map instead. It's not undoable but it's not really good for a primary mode of play.

I'll fiddle with it later but I am still enjoying Melvor Idle because let's face it, afk skilling is most of what I like about runescape lmao

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Rest in peace official Runescape forums, you will be missed. Truly the end of an era.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Reoxygenation posted:

Rest in peace official Runescape forums, you will be missed. Truly the end of an era.
Rip to the High Level Forum

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

If the new combat system in RS3 gives you rune-less spells when equipping a magical weapon then is there any reason for Air Strike to even exist? Or am I missing something?

I guess I don't understand how magic works in RS3 because in OSRS it's simple, you use runes to cast spells out of your spellbook. But now that everything has a combat bar I pick up a mind spike from the mage tower quest, select Air Strike, kill a cow with it, and I don't get any magic XP.

E. Okay, it's XP per kill, not per cast now. But it's still confusing where the actual spells come in during the wiz bang animations.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 13, 2024

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Runes are used when you use an auto attack with magic (which happens much less in EoC with a complete revolution bar).

If you are using legacy mode, each spell cast costs runes like before.

The basic Ancient Magicks have their effect be a 5% proc chance on abilities, and when it procs it uses runes. Legacy mode has them function like Old School.

The advanced Ancient Magicks have unique functions and tend to cost a high amount of runes depending on their consumption effect.

The original combat spells are incredibly outdated, but for the most part just cast a monster's weakness (this only affects accuracy) and keep in mind that a staff's level caps spell damage, so using a T99 combat spell with a T80 staff only does T80 damage and wastes extra runes for no reason. Use necromancy.

Putty fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 13, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Thanks for the clarification, that makes more sense for what I have seen. So if you are casting a spell then the damage of that spell will scale with the selected spell through the auto-revolution, but it only uses a rune when the "real" auto-cast comes around again?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Yep. Even though this is a thing you still can't use magic abilities if you don't have any runes for the auto attack regardless of what gets cast first.

Putty fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 13, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The HD update looks pretty nice

https://youtu.be/ncofgVboXwk?si=hHaH5cX3iSrADFaM

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

There is a poll option for torag's hammer to get 2 hitsplats in OSRS. It will not make the weapon better, but finally, vindication. I hope it passes

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

turn those 4s into 2-2s. or 3-1s lol. or 4-0s

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Hit my first level 99 (herblore), got RSI burying bones to hit 92 prayer for soul split, did countless quests to unlock it also im burning through necromancy and hit level 76 in a few days. I'm back baby.

I love my terrible game

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RuneScape is good and fun.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

https://www.jagex.com/en-GB/news/2M9sXk/cvc-capital-partners-and-haveli-investments-agree-to-acquire-jagex

quote:

Friday 9th February 2024, Cambridge, UK. Global private equity and investment advisory firm CVC Capital Partners (CVC Funds) and Haveli Investments today announced it has agreed to acquire Jagex, a leading developer and publisher of video games. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

Headquartered in Cambridge, Jagex employs over 700 people worldwide and creates forever games for PC, Mobile and Console that empower its communities. RuneScape, its flagship franchise has generated more than $1.5 billion in lifetime revenue, over its 23-year history. Jagex acquired Pipeworks and Gamepires in 2022, expanding its cross-platform capabilities and bringing its expertise in creating forever fans to SCUM, an open-world survival title in Steam Early Access. Jagex enjoyed a hugely successful 2023, with record subscribers for its RuneScape and Old School RuneScape titles and building its strong partnership with Gamepires ahead of Scum’s PC and Console launch in 2024.

Reportedly sold for 900m. What do you think the future of RuneScape is under new management? Cross-promotions with other games, new games with the IP, or somehow finding a way to crank up MTX to 11 to wring the last few pennies from whales?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Soulhunter posted:

Reportedly sold for 900m. What do you think the future of RuneScape is under new management? Cross-promotions with other games, new games with the IP, or somehow finding a way to crank up MTX to 11 to wring the last few pennies from whales?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pz7CqWTMs

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Soulhunter posted:

https://www.jagex.com/en-GB/news/2M9sXk/cvc-capital-partners-and-haveli-investments-agree-to-acquire-jagex

I did some reading on reddit and the speculation is that they will probably want to keep things going as they are because of the type of investment group it is. Afaik they are a long term holder of companies so it’s not a quick pump and dump.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i feel like this is the 8th time some random business group has bought jagex

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Checked and you're pretty much on the money there, this will be the sixth owner. Years below for anyone who wants to compare updates/eras of the game against ownership interests.

Gower Family (1999-2012)
Insight Venture Partners (2012–2016)
Hongtou (2016–2020)
Macarthur Fortune Holding (2020–2021)
The Carlyle Group (2021–2024)
CVC / Haveli (2024– Present)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Honestly if anything changes I feel like it would be related to RS3, with how unhappy the playerbase is and how the numbers are dwindling - everything I hear about it is... not great in terms of how stuff is going. I feel like you'd have to be insane to touch OSRS at this point, but investing groups are not known to be rational ( see : Embracer ) so who knows!!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I quit "Old School" once, I'll fuckin' do it again. And then 6 years later when Old School Old School launches I'll be right back at it lol

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Having worked for a company owned by the Carlyle Group this new owner has got to be an improvement. Carlyle did a bunch of scum fuckery and ruined the company I worked for and caused massive brain drain.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Soulhunter posted:

Checked and you're pretty much on the money there, this will be the sixth owner. Years below for anyone who wants to compare updates/eras of the game against ownership interests.

Gower Family (1999-2012)
Insight Venture Partners (2012–2016)
Hongtou (2016–2020)
Macarthur Fortune Holding (2020–2021)
The Carlyle Group (2021–2024)
CVC / Haveli (2024– Present)

It was a perfect moment of synchronicity when Runescape was owned by a literal mining company.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
What is the etiquette on picking up piles of fish and iron ore people seem to be dumping on the ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WaywardWoodwose posted:

What is the etiquette on picking up piles of fish and iron ore people seem to be dumping on the ground?

I pick it up because there’s a 99% chance they are just skilling up and don’t want it.

If they did want it I’d hope they’d say something.