Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Fajita Queen posted:

If you used to play runescape in the 200Xes, and haven't played since then, RS3 will be completely unrecognizable to you. It's basically an entirely different game using the same world and some leftover kruft.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad game apart from the endless predatory monetization garbage, but it's not really what I want to play when I want to play runescape.

I think either version is unrecognizable compared to what existed in the 2000s.

If you played RuneScape in the 2000s and have an account, it still exists in RS3. It is the same 'RuneScape game' with a modern game engine: the 3rd engine, hence RS3.

OSRS is a fork of a 2007 backup of RuneScape that began with a blank slate in terms of accounts. It also had a community driven aspect (poll voting) as far as determining what content updates and rule changes it would receive.

Long-term players were essentially along for the ride with whatever Jagex did to RuneScape, while OSRS players had significantly more influence in how that version developed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Soulhunter posted:

Checked and you're pretty much on the money there, this will be the sixth owner. Years below for anyone who wants to compare updates/eras of the game against ownership interests.

Gower Family (1999-2012)
Insight Venture Partners (2012–2016)
Hongtou (2016–2020)
Macarthur Fortune Holding (2020–2021)
The Carlyle Group (2021–2024)
CVC / Haveli (2024– Present)

It was a perfect moment of synchronicity when Runescape was owned by a literal mining company.