Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

How do the two versions of this play on Mobile? After playing some of the idle clicker companion game I felt the urge to pick up RS again but I would like it as a tablet game I can play on the couch if I can. I'm leaning towards RS3 for the content but it seems like it might have a bad android client from the bit that I have tried

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

My phone has a pen in it so I can click accurately pretty well, but it sounds like my assumption about the UI is accurate as far as RS3A goes. I'll give it a shot still to see how the client works, maybe it was just janky and unstable because it needs to download all the textures still, but OSRS seems like the way to go

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I have been playing a bit of RS3 on my PC just because I found OSRS to be a bit, well, old school for sit down and play for hours kind of stuff, and it's been fun aside from runecrafting being an absolute wiki-hell clusterfuck.

However I tried the android apps on my tablet and unfortunately they both suck. OSRS is stable but the game loads in a very small box around you with giant black walls more than 20 feet away, to the point where navigation becomes a problem. On RS3 the game is a lot better, and I almost like the UI more than PC, but the thing has a lot of slowdown and crashes every five minutes even on a midrange tablet. I'm going to see if I can tank the graphics on RS3 somehow or if there is some sort of processor setting I can change but wowee

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Soulhunter posted:

This may sound silly, but was your zoom set to a super-far distance on OSRS mobile? I agree that it's tiny to an unplayable extent if you're zoomed way out, but you can adjust it so it's pretty much the same between the two versions of the game on mobile apps for world navigation.

It may be due to using a large tablet and the screen being far larger than the client would expect, leading to seeing a lot of stuff off the screen. I can see if I can bump the view distance, but even if I zoom in more I find that it's too small of an area to really be able to navigate, since you can't see landmarks in the distance and have to go by the map instead. It's not undoable but it's not really good for a primary mode of play.

I'll fiddle with it later but I am still enjoying Melvor Idle because let's face it, afk skilling is most of what I like about runescape lmao

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

If the new combat system in RS3 gives you rune-less spells when equipping a magical weapon then is there any reason for Air Strike to even exist? Or am I missing something?

I guess I don't understand how magic works in RS3 because in OSRS it's simple, you use runes to cast spells out of your spellbook. But now that everything has a combat bar I pick up a mind spike from the mage tower quest, select Air Strike, kill a cow with it, and I don't get any magic XP.

E. Okay, it's XP per kill, not per cast now. But it's still confusing where the actual spells come in during the wiz bang animations.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Thanks for the clarification, that makes more sense for what I have seen. So if you are casting a spell then the damage of that spell will scale with the selected spell through the auto-revolution, but it only uses a rune when the "real" auto-cast comes around again?