Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

HDOS is not a new client for OSRS, but aside from RuneLite it is the only other Jagex-approved client. It was recently given support for the new Jagex Launcher so it's one-click login now. The main goal of the client is to give OSRS the 2008-but-pre-EOC coat of paint. It's pretty good.

Because Runelite plugins are basically all MIT-licensed, HDOS directly incorporates RL plugins from the RL source tree, so it has very similar functionality to RL but with the different look.

But what's amazing is that somehow the client actually performs better. I don't really understand how or why, but I am finding the game is running at a stable framerate even with maxed out draw distance.

I think this speaks more to how Runelite is unoptimised, moreso than how HDOS is performing some kinda miracle. It's also neat that the client UI is directly using the design language of the in-game UI, so everything feels like it's all a part of the same package.

The dev throws in RL plugins on a case-by-case basis but already there a bunch of really good ones included by default, with only some niche weird ones missing, but he seems open to adding a bunch.

I'd honestly say this is the preferred client over RL now, unless the 2008 look throws you off too much. Which is fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Reoxygenation posted:

It has Runelite plugins baked in??

It's a curated bunch, so it's not like you can browse the hub and install whatever you want, but all the basics and some quirky ones are there. Like Dance Party and Door Kicker are included by default (but disabled, obviously). More plugins get added all the time. And since they're pulled directly from the RL source tree they function exactly the same.

There's even a button to import most if not all of your settings from Runelite.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Just got 98 Agility. I am not proud.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Bronzeman mode lets you buy items you've unlocked, if boho only wants to sell I guess that's... Copperman mode? Tinman mode?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

HDOS has a client-side custom quest as of today, should be sticking around for the rest of Halloween. Obviously no real rewards or anything, and you just "respawn" on death, but it's a neat li'l romp.

also

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

boho posted:

someone re-wrote the Morrowind engine, and while it runs fantastically well with little tweaking, it supports only the simplest of mods, and isn't taken particularly seriously by anyone who wants more than the vanilla game.

Not to derail or anything, but if you're talking about OpenMW that's no longer the case. It supports a lot of complex mods now as well as its built-in enhancements which make some mods redundant, alongside being completely portable. It's more like what ScummVM is to Monkey Island rather than what HDOS is to OSRS. Most people I know who are super into Morrowind will tell you that you should be using OpenMW. Plus there's the potential that it'll support New Vegas some day.

I think HDOS is always going to be niche, and that'll be largely because of the graphical style. There's enough people who dislike the 08 look that they just won't bother with it at all. The people making it are super passionate though, and they've been at it for several years now.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Any OSRS players I know who also dabble in RS3 play RS3 in ironman mode and focus on the quests.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

The league is pretty good! I've made it my goal to get a fire cape and that helps a lot with picking relics, which is otherwise a very stressful decision.

And of course I'm already seeing people with fire capes running around. gently caress those guys.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

gently caress that guy too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Leagues complete.

Soul stealer + the archery relic made it an absolute breeze. Jad in HDOS was a bit jarring because his animations were a little different, so I took a hit but that was fine because there's a task and a cheev for it.