Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Cubone posted:

the little caret over the second or third symbol looks like a diacritic and I didn't see anything quite like in in any of the runic alphabets that were linked on the wikipedia page for runes so I gave up

Yeah I'm wondering about that too. Some runic alphabets use symbols like that to indicate how to pronounce certain syllables, but I couldn't find a table or a list for any of them. It looks like there's another one of those marks but turned upside-down over the rounded 'x' with the dots on it in the second line, and I think the dots might also be marks themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Guys I got it. Figured it out with my proto-Germanic decoder ring. The message says:

REMEMBER

TO

DRINK

YOUR

OVALTINE

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah I guess it probably is runes. However the bottom row has a weird marking that doesn't make sense to me even looking at all those runic alphabets.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Overdog posted:

The answer is actually a question op. Why are you taking your mirrors off the walls? Just leave them up there they work fine.

I think we can guess why he doesn't like mirrors.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

It kinda looks like Futhark, but it could also be Cirth and therefore written by a huge nerd. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirth

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Seriouspost: it’s probably a spell to keep malevolent spirits at bay. The mirror was probably thought of as a portal from another world or plane to this one.

I worked in mental health and addiction for nine years with some of our clients living in shared apartments, and one dude had his own bedroom with similar runes he drew all along the door frame and floor, with a line of salt at the threshold.

He wasn’t supposed to mark or draw on anything that wasn’t his, but I left it be because if it helped him, I wasn’t gonna report him for it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

You Are A Elf posted:

Seriouspost: it’s probably a spell to keep malevolent spirits at bay. The mirror was probably thought of as a portal from another world or plane to this one.

I worked in mental health and addiction for nine years with some of our clients living in shared apartments, and one dude had his own bedroom with similar runes he drew all along the door frame and floor, with a line of salt at the threshold.

He wasn’t supposed to mark or draw on anything that wasn’t his, but I left it be because if it helped him, I wasn’t gonna report him for it.

Was just going to post something similar. It's not any runic language I recognize but it's close enough at first glance to a layman that it's probably someone without actual knowledge of language trying to construct something that they think would work.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Put a mirror behind you and stand between the two mirrors

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Put a mirror behind you and stand between the two mirrors

Yeah, if you want to be trapped in the SHADOW ZONE.

:rolleyes:

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

It's the Ultima 7 copy protection. Do you have the cloth map and sextant that came with the house?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
It looks like a ladies handwriting

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

TengenNewsEditor posted:

It's the Ultima 7 copy protection. Do you have the cloth map and sextant that came with the house?

haha, this made me jump out of my chair and check the cloth map I have from Ultima Online pinned above a couple of shelves. Sadly its no match to Britannia.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well I've spent an ordinate amount of time looking at runes today and conclude that the last tenant was probably mentally ill and just wrote crazy poo poo. Or I'm now cursed. One of those two things.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Hollismason posted:

Well I've spent an ordinate amount of time looking at runes today and conclude that the last tenant was probably mentally ill and just wrote crazy poo poo. Or I'm now cursed. One of those two things.

Hopefully both

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Best case scenario, someone wrote that on there to gently caress with you.

Worst case scenario:

Caesar Saladin posted:

Definitely looks like a white supremacist used to live there

Any supernatural poo poo is somewhere in between.

naem
May 29, 2011

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

taken for a ride to nowhere, yet again

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

maybe its using runes from like a video game or something and not historically accurate runes

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I am going to go to the wiccan bookstore and see if they recognize the runes. I will report back.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Find your friendly local neo-Nazi dive bar while you're out and run it by them too! Good luck, goon sir!

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

You've been visited by Bam Margera. You won't get to see Phoenix the Wolf, who is FIVE, unless you smoke a bunch of crack.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

not sure if this little guy means you well or ill

could go either way

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

maybe its using runes from like a video game or something and not historically accurate runes

Or a metal album

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Maybe the text is MIRRORED

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Esperanto's got quite a few of those circumflex characters... maybe someone transliterated Esperanto into runes and kept the diacritics

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Babylonian?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Boobylon and it's a society where the boob is supreme

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Private Cumshoe posted:

Boobylon and it's a society where the boob is supreme

It's an ad for Boobst, when you need your titties swole for an event or whatever you go into the gym and sign up for Boobst and a personal trainer punches you in the titties until they swell up a bra size.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The first five characters likely spell CHRIS (ᚳᚺᚱᛁᛋ).

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The dwarves in LOTR are Nazis

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i think bam margera has been in your house

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

TK8325 posted:

You've been visited by Bam Margera. You won't get to see Phoenix the Wolf, who is FIVE, unless you smoke a bunch of crack.

drat

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Dick Fontaine posted:

not sure if this little guy means you well or ill

could go either way

he's so happy so it's prob a good thing

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

git apologist posted:

i think bam margera has been in your house

No heartagram so that rules him out

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

As others have said the accent marks make no sense for any rune alphabets that are easily accessible.
So likely using some random runes to write a different language.
Bunch of letters make no sense in relation to futhark futhorc etc.

And the 3 vertical dots is also probably a vertical ellipses which is also not a rune thing.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/vertical_ellipsis

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The first five characters likely spell CHRIS (ᚳᚺᚱᛁᛋ).

Oh wait the guy who used to live here is named Chris

Maybe he wrote his name in weird runes?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

chris was here
big penis

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Grey Cat posted:

As others have said the accent marks make no sense for any rune alphabets that are easily accessible.
So likely using some random runes to write a different language.
Bunch of letters make no sense in relation to futhark futhorc etc.

And the 3 vertical dots is also probably a vertical ellipses which is also not a rune thing.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/vertical_ellipsis

I believe the ^ over the CHRIS, the smiley face, and the poo poo underneath are just decorative. If you ignore that stuff, you get:

CHRISMLS??
MILS?? : FIDLES

The last five characters of the first line are apparently repeated on the second line, but with an additional "i". This could indicate that they hosed up the first attempt, and that it's 'supposed to' read:

CHRIS MILS??
MILS?? : FIDLES

The ?? parts are the characters that resemble an x and a backwards dollar sign, which have yet to be identified.

Current hypothesis: you got a white supremacist named Chris haunting the terlet, and he's got pretty bad writing.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Current hypothesis: you got a white supremacist named Chris haunting the terlet, and he's got pretty bad writing.

I'm a big fan of this hypothesis.
Took a stroll through the hate symbol database and didn't see anything but as we all know white supremacists are terrible at drawing swastikas so it could be anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

they could simply be some kind of meth elf. not everything has to be about nazis