Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hollismason posted:

Yeah so this has been written on the back of my mirror at my place. Looks Russian?

YeahTubaMike posted:

Looks like futhark runes, not sure what language they're in though

gently caress me, I'm actually trying to decrypt this now.

Yeah they're deffo runes, but it's a little hard to tell which "alphabet" they use; it may be a mishmash of several. The characters don't all look like they sync up with the Elder Futhark. Several of them look at least Anglo-Saxon, but there's a few like the one at the end of the first line and the "rounded" X-looking one with the dots above it in the second line that look Dalecarlian. If I had to guess I think Dalecarlian would be the best bet, but it's after 2:00 AM where I am and I'm way too sleepy to dive any deeper than that tonight.

I may take a crack at actually deciphering this poo poo tomorrow. In the meantime, these Wikipedia links and runic alphabet tables might help you out.

Anglo-Saxon runes

Dalecarlian runes

Good luck, rune goon! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Cubone posted:

the little caret over the second or third symbol looks like a diacritic and I didn't see anything quite like in in any of the runic alphabets that were linked on the wikipedia page for runes so I gave up

Yeah I'm wondering about that too. Some runic alphabets use symbols like that to indicate how to pronounce certain syllables, but I couldn't find a table or a list for any of them. It looks like there's another one of those marks but turned upside-down over the rounded 'x' with the dots on it in the second line, and I think the dots might also be marks themselves.