Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Oh poo poo I forgot about Def Leppard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Black Sunshine posted:

Those two are the only hard rock bands on the original list. You're clearly a soft rock kinda person...ewwwwwww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWjcytASIQQ

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pyromania was "rock" solid from start to finish.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bolt Thrower
Spacemen 3
Godflesh
Born Against
Urban Waste
Cockney rejects
Man is the Bastard
The Clash
Black Sabbath
And… I don’t know, Gang of Four? Something else probably

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Lit
Hoobastank
Imagine Dragons
Plain White Teas
Len
Fenix TX
Lost Prophets
Aqua
Bomfunk MCs
Taylor Swift
Aero Smith

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Smugworth posted:

Nebraska's "State Trooper" is apparently influenced by Suicide's "Frankie Teardrop". :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_dXp0eF8s0

Frankie teardrop is cool but as a former NJ resident I don’t think the connection is enough to make me want to listen to any more Springsteen

But I am curious now…

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

kntfkr posted:

Lit
Hoobastank
Imagine Dragons
Plain White Teas
Len
Fenix TX
Lost Prophets
Aqua
Bomfunk MCs
Taylor Swift
Aero Smith

Change my answers to these plus Crazy Town

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Best NJ wrock band is THE WRENS.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I miss Maxwells and hate Hoboken.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

kntfkr posted:

Best NJ wrock band is THE WRENS.

I’ll say it’s Mental Abuse

kntfkr posted:

I miss Maxwells and hate Hoboken.

:same:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Nickelback
Puddle of Mudd
Trapt
Hoobastank
Creed
P.O.D.
Mudvayne
AC/DC
Sublime
Tom Petty

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Kyuss
Queens of The Stone Age

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Brant Bjork is so good. Welcome to Sky Valley is so fuckin good.
Half of my top 10 are there because the drummers are guys that influenced me bigtime.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
King Crimson
Prefab Sprout
The Blue Nile
Captain Beefheart
Todd Rundgren
Peter Gabriel
Ween
Joni Mitchell
The Pixies
Animal Collective

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Brant Bjork is so good. Welcome to Sky Valley is so fuckin good.
Half of my top 10 are there because the drummers are guys that influenced me bigtime.

I hope you've listened to their "Blues for The Red Sun"

Also, Welcome to Sky Valley is loving amazing.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

The Tragically Hip
Kim Mitchell
Rush
April Wine
The Guess Who
Bachman–Turner Overdrive
Neil Young
Our Lady Peace
Trooper
Barenaked ladies

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

redshirt posted:

I hope you've listened to their "Blues for The Red Sun"

lmao Sleep, Mastodon, and High on Fire were all in my top 10, I am very familiar with the Kyuss and QOTSA catalogues and Kyuss is like 11 probably.
Big Bikes is one of my favorite songs.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Saalkin posted:

The Tragically Hip
Kim Mitchell
Rush
April Wine
The Guess Who
Bachman–Turner Overdrive
Neil Young
Our Lady Peace
Trooper
Barenaked ladies

Hot cocoa’s playlist on repeat whilst his empty ballbag heals

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
No one said Radiohead yet...?

Arcade Fire
Arctic Monkeys
The Beatles
Bruce Springsteen
David Bowie
Gorillaz
King Crimson
Led Zeppelin
My Bloody Valentine
Radiohead

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Come on Whizzmastur are you fishing for people to nominate you? Because as far as I know you have never released a rock song.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Wizard Master posted:

Rock music, with its electrifying guitar riffs, passionate vocals, and rebellious spirit, has captivated audiences for decades. From its humble beginnings in the 1950s to its evolution into various subgenres, rock music has produced a plethora of legendary artists who have left an indelible mark on the music industry.
The Beatles
No list of top rock artists is complete without The Beatles. This British band, consisting of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr, forever altered the course of music history. With their innovative songwriting, harmonious melodies, and revolutionary albums like "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," The Beatles set the standard for rock bands worldwide.

Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin, led by the legendary Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, brought a seismic shift to rock music. Their fusion of blues, hard rock, and folk elements gave birth to timeless classics like "Stairway to Heaven" and "Whole Lotta Love." Their prowess as musicians and stage performers solidified their place in rock history.

The Rolling Stones
Known for their raw energy and longevity, The Rolling Stones have been rocking the world since the early 1960s. Mick Jagger's charismatic stage presence and Keith Richards' iconic guitar riffs have made this British band an enduring force in the rock world.

Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd's ethereal and experimental approach to rock music reshaped the genre in the 1970s. Albums like "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall" are masterpieces that delve into the depths of human emotion, making them a cornerstone of progressive rock.

Queen
Fronted by the incomparable Freddie Mercury, Queen was known for its eclectic style, combining rock, opera, and glam. Their anthems like "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "We Will Rock You" continue to resonate with audiences across generations.

Jimi Hendrix
Jimi Hendrix, a virtuoso guitarist and a true innovator, expanded the boundaries of rock music with his electrifying performances and groundbreaking guitar work. His albums like "Are You Experienced?" and "Axis: Bold as Love" remain iconic in the rock canon.

The Who
The Who, with their explosive live performances and concept albums like "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia," established themselves as pioneers of rock opera. Roger Daltrey's powerful vocals and Pete Townshend's guitar prowess defined their sound.

David Bowie
David Bowie was a chameleon of rock, constantly reinventing himself and pushing artistic boundaries. His alter ego Ziggy Stardust and albums like "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" cemented his status as an icon.

Bruce Springsteen
"The Boss," Bruce Springsteen, captured the essence of the American working-class spirit in his music. With anthems like "Born to Run" and "Born in the USA," he became a voice for the common man and a symbol of hope.

Nirvana
Nirvana, led by the enigmatic Kurt Cobain, brought grunge to the forefront of the music scene in the 1990s. Their album "Nevermind" and the iconic track "Smells Like Teen Spirit" defined a generation and left an indelible mark on rock history.

lol nice wheelchair rock list you absolute piss king

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Black Sunshine posted:

Nirvana on that list is laughable. Drop them and The Who, add AC/DC and Black Sabbath and you're good.

You've got to be kidding

AC DC who I saw live and enjoyed Back n Black album totally, have like 1 song they do variations of, that's it

Be real

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Spinz posted:

You've got to be kidding

AC DC who I saw live and enjoyed Back n Black album totally, have like 1 song they do variations of, that's it

Be real

Oh Mister Hoitey Toitey Rock And Roll Here.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
In no particular order because they're not necessarily comparable, also the specific albums that I think are accomplishments (because all of these bands have some lovely-rear end albums)

Tool - Lateralus
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Tortoise - TNT
The Sea and Cake - Oui
Coheed & Cambria - In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth 3
Cold War Kids - Robbers & Cowards, Loyalty to Loyalty
Minus the Bear - Highly Refined Pirates
Silversun Pickups - Swoon
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire

Honestly this would be more interesting if you had to pick your top ten favorite CDs. Saying David Bowie is a Rock God isn't controversial or a conversation topic, saying why you liked Ziggy Stardust (without talking about boomer poo poo) would be a lot more entertaining. I personally identify with albums more than bands, because (except maybe for AC/DC) every album sounds different.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When BLM has a long Zep set, just rip off the knob (metaphorically).

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

By popular demand posted:

Come on Whizzmastur are you fishing for people to nominate you? Because as far as I know you have never released a rock song.

I have wondered if the SA user Wizard Master had anything to do with the old site https://www.wizardmaster.com which had lots of cool weird electronic music.

Just looking it up now it’s still there and I’m a little shocked

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Arctic Monkey’s

*Bugs Bunny saying “NO”*

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

Dragonforce
The Offspring (only Americana and after)
Avenged Sevenfold or A7X as I call them
Hollywood Undead
Metallica
Ghost
Imagine Dragons
Fallout Boy
Slipnot
Lincoln Park

I want to say that The Offspring deserve better than this, but deep in my heart I know that they don’t.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

crazy frog

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The Foo Fighters
Sum 41
Fuzz Bubble
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Dave Matthews Band
Van Halen
Sublime
Reel Big Fish
Brokencyde
Extreme

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Coldplay
U2
Maroon 5
Imagine Dragons
Creed
Dave Matthews Band
LCD Sound System
Bush
Weezer
Mumford and Sons

gently caress, forgot about Reel Big Fish

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Wizard Master posted:

Rock music, with its electrifying guitar riffs, passionate vocals, and rebellious spirit, has captivated audiences for decades. From its humble beginnings in the 1950s to its evolution into various subgenres, rock music has produced a plethora of legendary artists who have left an indelible mark on the music industry.
The Beatles
No list of top rock artists is complete without The Beatles. This British band, consisting of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr, forever altered the course of music history. With their innovative songwriting, harmonious melodies, and revolutionary albums like "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," The Beatles set the standard for rock bands worldwide.

Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin, led by the legendary Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, brought a seismic shift to rock music. Their fusion of blues, hard rock, and folk elements gave birth to timeless classics like "Stairway to Heaven" and "Whole Lotta Love." Their prowess as musicians and stage performers solidified their place in rock history.

The Rolling Stones
Known for their raw energy and longevity, The Rolling Stones have been rocking the world since the early 1960s. Mick Jagger's charismatic stage presence and Keith Richards' iconic guitar riffs have made this British band an enduring force in the rock world.

Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd's ethereal and experimental approach to rock music reshaped the genre in the 1970s. Albums like "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall" are masterpieces that delve into the depths of human emotion, making them a cornerstone of progressive rock.

Queen
Fronted by the incomparable Freddie Mercury, Queen was known for its eclectic style, combining rock, opera, and glam. Their anthems like "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "We Will Rock You" continue to resonate with audiences across generations.

Jimi Hendrix
Jimi Hendrix, a virtuoso guitarist and a true innovator, expanded the boundaries of rock music with his electrifying performances and groundbreaking guitar work. His albums like "Are You Experienced?" and "Axis: Bold as Love" remain iconic in the rock canon.

The Who
The Who, with their explosive live performances and concept albums like "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia," established themselves as pioneers of rock opera. Roger Daltrey's powerful vocals and Pete Townshend's guitar prowess defined their sound.

David Bowie
David Bowie was a chameleon of rock, constantly reinventing himself and pushing artistic boundaries. His alter ego Ziggy Stardust and albums like "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" cemented his status as an icon.

Bruce Springsteen
"The Boss," Bruce Springsteen, captured the essence of the American working-class spirit in his music. With anthems like "Born to Run" and "Born in the USA," he became a voice for the common man and a symbol of hope.

Nirvana
Nirvana, led by the enigmatic Kurt Cobain, brought grunge to the forefront of the music scene in the 1990s. Their album "Nevermind" and the iconic track "Smells Like Teen Spirit" defined a generation and left an indelible mark on rock history.
Nickelback. This Canadian rock band has been the subject of much ridicule and criticism for their music, which has been called bland, formulaic, and derivative. Some of their most criticized songs include "Photograph", "How You Remind Me", and "Rockstar".

Creed. This American rock band was also criticized for their music, which was often seen as being too self-indulgent and over-produced. Some of their most criticized songs include "My Own Prison", "Higher", and "With Arms Wide Open".

Limp Bizkit. This American nu metal band was also criticized for their music, which was often seen as being obnoxious and juvenile. Some of their most criticized songs include "Rollin'", "Break Stuff", and "Nookie".

Guns N' Roses. This American hard rock band has released some of the most iconic rock songs of all time, but they have also been criticized for their later work, which was seen as being inconsistent and lacking in focus. Some of their most criticized songs include "Chinese Democracy", "Shackler's Revenge", and "Sorry".

Aerosmith. This American hard rock band has also been criticized for their later work, which was seen as being too commercial and lacking in the raw energy of their early albums. Some of their most criticized songs include "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing", "Cryin'", and "Pink".

Green Day. This American punk rock band has released some of the most critically acclaimed rock albums of the 1990s, but they have also been criticized for their later work, which was seen as being more mainstream and less experimental. Some of their most criticized songs include "American Idiot", "21 Guns", and "Oh Yeah!".

The Jonas Brothers. This American pop rock band was originally criticized for their bubblegum pop sound, but they have since evolved into a more mature and rock-oriented sound. However, they still continue to be criticized by some for their music, which is seen as being too manufactured and lacking in substance. Some of their most criticized songs include "Burnin' Up", "Lovebug", and "Sucker".

One Direction. This British-Irish boy band was also criticized for their bubblegum pop sound, but they have also since evolved into a more mature and rock-oriented sound. However, they still continue to be criticized by some for their music, which is seen as being too manufactured and lacking in substance. Some of their most criticized songs include "What Makes You Beautiful", "One Thing", and "Story of My Life".

Imagine Dragons. This American rock band has been criticized for their music, which has been called generic and lacking in originality. Some of their most criticized songs include "Radioactive", "Believer", and "Thunder".

It is important to note that these are just a few examples of rock bands that have been criticized for their music. There are many other bands that could be included on this list. Ultimately, whether or not a band's songs are considered "bad" is a matter of personal opinion.

I like underdogs, so i go with those things in this block of text which i wrote myself.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

the doors (all10 spots :cool:)

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Spinz posted:

You've got to be kidding

Be real

The "one song a thousand times" thing is funny but not really true. They most certainly had a very particular style and rarely strayed far from it but that's also part of their charm. For a band to be active for 50 years and literally never bow to industry pressure and always do exactly what they want is pretty much the encapsulation of Rock n Roll in my book.

It's all about personal taste so whatever. I can see an argument for The Who despite not really liking them myself though

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Vampire Panties posted:

Minus the Bear - Highly Refined Pirates

Not planet of ice?!?

FYI hot cocoa loves that album use that to black mail him some how

Edit : planet of ice that is

Saalkin fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 14, 2023

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Ace of Base
C & C Music Factory
2 Unlimited
Hocus Pocus
Culture Beat
SNAP!
Eifel 65
Technotronic
KLF
Shamen

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I stand by my earlier post, making fun of the OP for not naming a single band from this century but I think it is a tricky question because the idea of rock is just kind of incorporated into all music these days. My favourite pop artist is backed by a guitarist, a bassist and a drummer, all of whom are consistent across of all of her shows. Does she lead a rock band?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
My favourite actual rock band of this year is Feeble Little Horse who released the album Girl With Fish.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Saalkin posted:

Not planet of ice?!?

FYI hot cocoa loves that album use that to black mail him some how

Edit : planet of ice that is

Planet of ice is good, but I don't like the time changes that MTB got into with their later releases. Omni especially. TTNG - Animals is a supremely good album in the same vein, but I didn't pick it for my list because I like MTB more :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Simply having a wonderful christmastime