Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Vampire Panties posted:

Planet of ice is good, but I don't like the time changes that MTB got into with their later releases. Omni especially. TTNG - Animals is a supremely good album in the same vein, but I didn't pick it for my list because I like MTB more :shrug:

God drat Animals is so good. You listen to the anniversary acoustic version? That poo poo is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DIO!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Careful that's not music from this century

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Careful that's not music from this century

I care not. I care only for ROCK!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXEyz1mGMEc&t=159s

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol This is what I am talking about!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
This whole song is great. It's got the legendary Dio obviously, and Meat Loaf's part rules too.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

This whole song is great. It's got the legendary Dio obviously, and Meat Loaf's part rules too.

The opening with Jack Black's song about the dragon is sweet too

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

lol This is what I am talking about!

Zugzwang posted:

It's pretty great, I haven't seen it for 15+ years and I still probably remember all the lyrics to this goofy-rear end flick.

MrQwerty posted:

That's in the same video I just skipped to the dio relevance. The dragon's balls were blazing though.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

MrQwerty posted:

Hell yeah

Gonna listen to this tune on repeat now.

Grey Cat posted:

It's pretty great, I haven't seen it for 15+ years and I still probably remember all the lyrics to this goofy-rear end flick.
The movie itself was, well, what it was, but the music kicked rear end :shrug:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Zugzwang posted:

The movie itself was, well, what it was, but the music kicked rear end :shrug:

For sure, it's definitely no top 10 movies of all time.
But the music was memorable and that's what counts.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Pavement
The Pixies
My Bloody Valentine
Joy Division
Dinosaur Jr
The Beatles
The Smiths
The Strokes
Velvet Underground
Radiohead

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Saalkin posted:

God drat Animals is so good. You listen to the anniversary acoustic version? That poo poo is incredible.

:haibrower:

I was genuinely surprised when I saw it pop up. AFAIK TTNG really only made that one album, and nobody I know IRL has ever heard of them.

:ssh: I think I discovered them in SA :filez: :ssh:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Pavement
The Pixies
My Bloody Valentine
Joy Division
Dinosaur Jr
The Beatles
The Smiths
The Strokes
Velvet Underground
Radiohead

Oh hell yeah "My Bloody Valentine"

Caution: Flashing light warning

Only Shallow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyYMzEplnfU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Simply having a wonderful christmastime

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I do love Dido!

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Revins posted:

The Weakerthans
Cymbals Eat Guitars
Spoon
The Replacements
Elder
Vektor
The Cure
Jawbreaker
Soundgarden
Isis

also painfully boring list from you OP gee whiz

cymbals eat guitars own, I saw em twice and im sad that's it.

the opening track on that first album blew my mind

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Elder fuckin rocks, Dead Roots Stirring is a great album start to finish and so is Lore
I ordered a black vinyl copy of Lore and they sent me one of the Euro tour only color disc sets instead, and Lore has really killer sleeve artwork already

edit: Age of Winters and Warp Riders-era The Sword is awesome too

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 14, 2023

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

NEW QUESTION: do you prefer rock / metal with clean vocals or growls? I understand that Dio and King Diamond are very talented singers I just can't stomach their sound when it's attached to heavy music.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

neato burrito posted:

NEW QUESTION: do you prefer rock / metal with clean vocals or growls? I understand that Dio and King Diamond are very talented singers I just can't stomach their sound when it's attached to heavy music.

depends

I like old Mastodon's vocals but their modern Three Dog Night and only Troy screams thing is pretty sweet too
Old Opeth has a great mix of the two as well

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

In no particular order because they're not necessarily comparable, also the specific albums that I think are accomplishments (because all of these bands have some lovely-rear end albums)

Tool - Lateralus
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Tortoise - TNT
The Sea and Cake - Oui
Coheed & Cambria - In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth 3
Cold War Kids - Robbers & Cowards, Loyalty to Loyalty
Minus the Bear - Highly Refined Pirates
Silversun Pickups - Swoon
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire

time to rock out :rock: to tortoise

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

TengenNewsEditor posted:

time to rock out :rock: to tortoise

Art rock IS Rock :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwJf5fw57Yo&t=1863s

EDIT

:lol: watch a bunch of grandpas try to recreate art rock from 30 years ago

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

neato burrito posted:

I like it all. Actually last night I saw Delain & Visions of Atlantis, and both of them had a mixture of clean & growl, leaning toward clean. They were both pretty great.

That said, I like melodic metal with JUST growls too, Finntroll for example, or harsh non-clean non-growls like Einherjer or Korpiklaani.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Ryuichi Sakamoto
Pet Shop Boys
Kate Bush
Bakufu Slump
Yellow Magic Orchestra
Tears for Fears
Jamiroquai
Tad
Kraftwerk
808 State

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Negostrike posted:

Ryuichi Sakamoto
Pet Shop Boys
Kate Bush
Bakufu Slump
Yellow Magic Orchestra
Tears for Fears
Jamiroquai
Tad
Kraftwerk
808 State

Does "Rock" mean nothing?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

git apologist posted:

lol nice wheelchair rock list you absolute piss king

be gentle it’s the best they can do.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

redshirt posted:

Does "Rock" mean nothing?

well they do rock

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZZjt4ZLdeA

a wilhelm scream haven't released a bad album in their 19 years of rocking

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZZjt4ZLdeA

a wilhelm scream haven't released a bad album in their 19 years of rocking

This is the correct take and the only reason people don't love Lose Your Delusion more is because any follow-up to Partycrasher was gonna be a letdown, that album just rips so loving hard.

I loving love these guys, nice to see another fan on the forums.

Edit: also they've been rocking for at least 22 years, have some respect.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
Tenacious D - Tenacious D (really everything up until Post Apocalypto is great.)
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
The Sword - Warp Riders
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Uh, that's all I've got for you right now, OP.

This goon gets it.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Modal Auxiliary posted:

This is the correct take and the only reason people don't love Lose Your Delusion more is because any follow-up to Partycrasher was gonna be a letdown, that album just rips so loving hard.

I loving love these guys, nice to see another fan on the forums.

Edit: also they've been rocking for at least 22 years, have some respect.

hell yeah

i love lose your delusion, but aye partycrasher is such a banger it's tough to follow up. all their albums have a different feel while still sounding like the same rad band though, part of what makes them so great. :rock:

i played a couple of shows like 10 years ago in my old band opening for AWS when they came to scotland. i know a good few other small bands that got to play with them as well, they're dead nice guys and i've always appreciated that they get lots of local bands on their bills when they tour.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Speaking of Cymbal Eats Guitars, I only really know this cover cuz I'm a fan of anything Tim Kasher does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMIecwPGWc8

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I am excited to see Chat Pile on Saturday.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Franco Flintstone

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

kntfkr posted:

I am excited to see Chat Pile on Saturday.

I’m excited to see godflesh/boris/melvins/conan on Saturday :)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Alright here we go, folks.

10. Jon Foreman

Fairly unknown in America but there's been some profiles about what this Welsh artist has done with beach rock patterns. It's a stunning display of temporary, found work that has a mandala like effect.

9. Akie Nakata

Nakata's work is what might at first seem like something "cute" you'd find in a beach gift shop, but there's a level of detail in her animal rock paintings that rewards deep inspection.

8. Jean Verame

Sometimes it's not just the effect, but the extraordinary effort that goes into a work and when you think of the scale of Jean Verame's mountainside work it's very much worth an inclusion on this list. Helps that they are visually gorgeous too.

7. Gutzon and Lincoln Borglum

Look, it may be a cliche at this point, but Mount Rushmore is truly a stunning achievement in the history of sculpting. Problematic nature of the work aside, though it would be wrong not to note it was an intrusion on Native land, it is still a national treasure.

6. Paul Cézanne

Okay, I'm cheating. Cézanne may not have used rocks as his medium, but his paintings of rocks and quarries are beautiful and demand to be seen in person. An appreciation of the rock should count here.

5. Gary Dahl

Hehe, I know I'm being coy with this one, but the Pet Rock is a centerpiece of American kitsch culture. Dahl may have been a businessman, but the simple charms of the Pet Rock helped inspire so many young children to follow their own creative endeavors. It is in itself a work of art.

4. Jonathan Bréchignac

A contemporary French artist whose "Alien Rocks" series is on the avant-garde of rock artistry. He's one to watch.

3. Andy Goldsworthy

Now we're talking about the champions. Goldsworthy doesn't just make art with rocks, all of nature is his tapestry. One of our living greats.

2. Barbara Hepworth

Barbara Hepworth's sculptures make you completely rethink what it is possible to make out of a rock.

1. Michelangelo

Is marble a rock? Is this cheating? Who cares? Shout out to the king, the greatest to ever do it. Rest assured whatever you do in your life, none of it will weigh as heavy on the direction of modern art as Michelangelo's name has. To me, that's a comfort.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

10. Jon Foreman

Fairly unknown in America but there's been some profiles about what this Welsh artist has done with beach rock patterns. It's a stunning display of temporary, found work that has a mandala like effect.

9. Akie Nakata

Nakata's work is what might at first seem like something "cute" you'd find in a beach gift shop, but there's a level of detail in her animal rock paintings that rewards deep inspection.

8. Jean Verame

Sometimes it's not just the effect, but the extraordinary effort that goes into a work and when you think of the scale of Jean Verame's mountainside work it's very much worth an inclusion on this list. Helps that they are visually gorgeous too.

Look, it may be a cliche at this point, but Mount Rushmore is truly a stunning achievement in the history of sculpting. Problematic nature of the work aside, though it would be wrong not to note it was an intrusion on Native land, it is still a national treasure.

6. Paul Cézanne

Okay, I'm cheating. Cézanne may not have used rocks as his medium, but his paintings of rocks and quarries are beautiful and demand to be seen in person. An appreciation of the rock should count here.

5. Gary Dahl

Hehe, I know I'm being coy with this one, but the Pet Rock is a centerpiece of American kitsch culture. Dahl may have been a businessman, but the simple charms of the Pet Rock helped inspire so many young children to follow their own creative endeavors. It is in itself a work of art.

4. Jonathan Bréchignac

A contemporary French artist whose "Alien Rocks" series is on the avant-garde of rock artistry. He's one to watch.

3. Andy Goldsworthy

Now we're talking about the champions. Goldsworthy doesn't just make art with rocks, all of nature is his tapestry. One of our living greats.

2. Barbara Hepworth

Barbara Hepworth's sculptures make you completely rethink what it is possible to make out of a rock.

1. Michelangelo

Is marble a rock? Is this cheating? Who cares? Shout out to the king, the greatest to ever do it. Rest assured whatever you do in your life, none of it will weigh as heavy on the direction of modern art as Michelangelo's name has. To me, that's a comfort.

you forgot Radiohead and tortoise

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

10. Jon Foreman

9. Akie Nakata

8. Jean Verame

6. Paul Cézanne

5. Gary Dahl

4. Jonathan Bréchignac

3. Andy Goldsworthy

2. Barbara Hepworth

1. Michelangelo

I've read that there were many rock artists who came and passed on the blocks that became Michelangelo's greatest rock work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Bruce Springsteen is actually really good, but you have to separate his stuff into different eras in order to get it. Modern Springsteen is hit or miss, 90's Springsteen is kind of bland unless you're already a fan, 80's Springsteen has to be separated into 3 segments, the Nebraska period where he was arguably at his peak, the Born in the USA part where he really blew up when it's possibly the weakest his music ever was in the old days because it appealed more to pop culture at the time, and the post Born in the USA part which is really just Tunnel of Love where he stepped back from the spotlight because he understood he would never again hit the height of Born in the USA.

70's Springsteen was his actual golden age IMO, I don't think any of his songs from that period are less than a 7/10 except maybe Night...OK, and The Angel. So none of his songs from then are less than 5/10. Once again this period has to be separated into segments, pre Born to Run and post Born to Run, or rather, pre and post the lawsuit he filed against his manager at the time, Mike Appel, who tried to screw him with a bullshit contract where Springsteen would receive, if I remember correctly, less than 10% of the revenue from his own work.

LIke, if all you heard of Springsteen was Born in the USA, Dancing in the Dark (I had a long period where I disliked Dancing the Dark just because it was always on the radio, but a few years of not listening to it made it sound better to me), Waiting on a Sunny Day (still don't like that one though), maybe some other songs from The Rising or Working on a Dream, I would get it. You listened to pop Springsteen, and it's his weakest aspect. I think he has literally admitted this in one interview or another from years ago.

But man, the whole Nebraska album kicks rear end, the whole Darkness on the Edge of Town album kicks rear end, Born to Run is probably one of the best albums of all time, then you have individual greats like The Ghost of Tom Joad, My City of Ruins, The River, Independence Day, Incident on 57th Street, Wrecking Ball, Youngstown, If I Was the Priest, The Wall, American Skin (41 Shots), Ghosts, Real World, man, I can keep going for hours.

I think a major understated part of Bruce Springsteen's music is the influence black music had on it. Let's be perfectly clear here, all of rock and roll, period, owes black musicians a huge debt, because before rock 'n roll was rock 'n roll, it was rhythm and blues, it was made by and pioneered by black artists, then a bunch of white people stole it and repackaged it to appeal to a wider crowd of white people who were down with the music but not the skin color. Some of those artists are more forthright about this than others. To me, it feels like the North East Coast rock artists, from the Tri State area in particular, were the best at both incorporating the "black" sound into their music and also giving credit where credit was rightfully due.

I think his most recent album as of now, Only the Strong Survive, which is literally just straight up covers of classic R&B songs is the most modern and clear example of how much black music made Bruce Springsteen, but he was never shy about it nor tried to hide it. It's present in his work from the very beginning, when most people were saying it more resembled Bob Dylan. Bruce Springsteen loves black music and black people, and he always strove to elevate and credit them whenever he could.

I also think a big reason why people might bounce off of him and his music is, quite frankly, dude's old now. The days when he could make a guitar talk and could headline 4 hour shows with electrifying energy all the way through, for months on end, are over. He's in his 70's, a lot of his friends and loved ones have passed on, and he himself is staring down the barrel. He knows there's a very good chance he won't be alive in the next decade or two. So a bunch (not all, but a significant chunk) of his music for the past several years has been introspective and retrospective, dealing with and singing about the aging experience and the feeling of faded glory and all that. To be fair, a lot of old rock artists are grappling with the same thing. The road goes on forever, but you don't. Rock 'n roll may never die, but that doesn't mean its conduits share that immortality.

This went on way longer than I thought I would write, and I still didn't actually go into the specifics I wanted to, but basically, I think Bruce Springsteen is in that category of artists who became so overrated that they are now underrated, and it's not really his fault. I'm not going to blame anyone in the north east, especially Jersey or New York, who hears perhaps too much Springsteen and is sick of it, that's fair, no music no matter how good or bad should be forced down someone's throat, but that doesn't make the music or the artist terrible. He also has an unfair reputation as a "heartland rocker who sings for The Working Class" when to me Bruce Springsteen was always just for the people who just wanted to break out of the lovely situation they were in, he was for the desperate and downtrodden who maybe sat too long in a four walled room desperate to make something happen or get somewhere but felt trapped by their lives and circumstances. Also, he's old and I can definitely see people bouncing off of the music he makes nowadays, a lot of which is more about the state of being an old person and inevitably having to deal with the very real presence of death.

Holy poo poo even my closer meant to wrap this post up went on too long, I'm just going to shut the gently caress up now. I'll end by saying someone in this forum compared Bruce Springsteen to Billy Joel a few years back and said that while Bruce Springsteen is the cheerleader who is rooting for you and wants you to succeed, Billy Joel is the guy who will laugh at you when you fail because we've all been there, and I'd say yeah that's a fair comparison, for good or ill.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 15, 2023