Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Billy Idol
Kult
Vandenberg
Seikima II
Queen

gently caress I listen to so much music in so many languages my spotify rock playlist may as well be a recording of a loving UN meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gologle posted:

Bruce Springsteen is actually really good, but you have to separate his stuff into different eras in order to get it. Modern Springsteen is hit or miss, 90's Springsteen is kind of bland unless you're already a fan, 80's Springsteen has to be separated into 3 segments, the Nebraska period where he was arguably at his peak, the Born in the USA part where he really blew up when it's possibly the weakest his music ever was in the old days because it appealed more to pop culture at the time, and the post Born in the USA part which is really just Tunnel of Love where he stepped back from the spotlight because he understood he would never again hit the height of Born in the USA.

70's Springsteen was his actual golden age IMO, I don't think any of his songs from that period are less than a 7/10 except maybe Night...OK, and The Angel. So none of his songs from then are less than 5/10. Once again this period has to be separated into segments, pre Born to Run and post Born to Run, or rather, pre and post the lawsuit he filed against his manager at the time, Mike Appel, who tried to screw him with a bullshit contract where Springsteen would receive, if I remember correctly, less than 10% of the revenue from his own work.

LIke, if all you heard of Springsteen was Born in the USA, Dancing in the Dark (I had a long period where I disliked Dancing the Dark just because it was always on the radio, but a few years of not listening to it made it sound better to me), Waiting on a Sunny Day (still don't like that one though), maybe some other songs from The Rising or Working on a Dream, I would get it. You listened to pop Springsteen, and it's his weakest aspect. I think he has literally admitted this in one interview or another from years ago.

But man, the whole Nebraska album kicks rear end, the whole Darkness on the Edge of Town album kicks rear end, Born to Run is probably one of the best albums of all time, then you have individual greats like The Ghost of Tom Joad, My City of Ruins, The River, Independence Day, Incident on 57th Street, Wrecking Ball, Youngstown, If I Was the Priest, The Wall, American Skin (41 Shots), Ghosts, Real World, man, I can keep going for hours.

I think a major understated part of Bruce Springsteen's music
is the influence black music had on it. Let's be perfectly clear here, all of rock and roll, period, owes black musicians a huge debt, because before rock 'n roll was rock 'n roll, it was rhythm and blues, it was made by and pioneered by black artists, then a bunch of white people stole it and repackaged it to appeal to a wider crowd of white people who were down with the music but not the skin color. Some of those artists are more forthright about this than others. To me, it feels like the North East Coast rock artists, from the Tri State area in particular, were the best at both incorporating the "black" sound into their music and also giving credit where credit was rightfully due.

I think his most recent album as of now, Only the Strong Survive, which is literally just straight up covers of classic R&B songs is the most modern and clear example of how much black music made Bruce Springsteen, but he was never shy about it nor tried to hide it. It's present in his work from the very beginning, when most people were saying it more resembled Bob Dylan. Bruce Springsteen loves black music and black people, and he always strove to elevate and credit them whenever he could.

I also think a big reason why people might bounce off of him and his music is, quite frankly, dude's old now. The days when he could make a guitar talk and could headline 4 hour shows with electrifying energy all the way through, for months on end, are over. He's in his 70's, a lot of his friends and loved ones have passed on, and he himself is staring down the barrel. He knows there's a very good chance he won't be alive in the next decade or two. So a bunch (not all, but a significant chunk) of his music for the past several years has been introspective and retrospective, dealing with and singing about the aging experience and the feeling of faded glory and all that. To be fair, a lot of old rock artists are grappling with the same thing. The road goes on forever, but you don't. Rock 'n roll may never die, but that doesn't mean its conduits share that immortality.

This went on way longer than I thought I would write, and I still didn't actually go into the specifics I wanted to, but basically, I think Bruce Springsteen is in that category of artists who became so overrated that they are now underrated, and it's not really his fault. I'm not going to blame anyone in the north east, especially Jersey or New York, who hears perhaps too much Springsteen and is sick of it, that's fair, no music no matter how good or bad should be forced down someone's throat, but that doesn't make the music or the artist terrible. He also has an unfair reputation as a "heartland rocker who sings for The Working Class" when to me Bruce Springsteen was always just for the people who just wanted to break out of the lovely situation they were in, he was for the desperate and downtrodden who maybe sat too long in a four walled room desperate to make something happen or get somewhere but felt trapped by their lives and circumstances. Also, he's old and I can definitely see people bouncing off of the music he makes nowadays, a lot of which is more about the state of being an old person and inevitably having to deal with the very real presence of death.

Holy poo poo even my closer meant to wrap this post up went on too long, I'm just going to shut the gently caress up now. I'll end by saying someone in this forum compared Bruce Springsteen to Billy Joel a few years back and said that while Bruce Springsteen is the cheerleader who is rooting for you and wants you to succeed, Billy Joel is the guy who will laugh at you when you fail because we've all been there, and I'd say yeah that's a fair comparison, for good or ill.

I don’t think I’m going to listen to any Springsteen voluntarily but here’s a picture I took in asbury park

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Negostrike posted:

Ryuichi Sakamoto
Pet Shop Boys
Kate Bush
Bakufu Slump
Yellow Magic Orchestra
Tears for Fears
Jamiroquai
Tad
Kraftwerk
808 State

Nice, I like your list.

Mine:
Queen
ELO
Icehouse
Psuedo Echo
Offspring
Duran Duran
J. Geils Band
Bon Jovi
Bangles
Pat Benatar

If Blondie counts I might swap out Psuedo Echo for them.
Feel free to make fun of my taste in music.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Hendrix
The Shaggs
Flower Travellin’ Band
DEVO
Funkadelic
Lightning Bolt
13th Floor Elevators
Nihilist Spasm Band
Beat Happening
Merzbow

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Steely Dan
Van Halen
Rolling Stones
Elton John
Billy Joel
Ben Folds Five
Joe Walsh
Thin Lizzie
Rush
Cake

Honorable mention to Jackson Browne for the most perfect and depressing break up song of all time “Late For the Sky”.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
DEVO
The Replacements
The Sonics
The Stooges
Dinosaur Jr
Husker Du
The Clash
Wipers
Lightning Bolt
Pavement
Pixies (for the first 3 records)

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 15, 2023

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Gologle posted:

Bruce Springsteen is actually really good, but you have to separate his stuff into different eras in order to get it. Modern Springsteen is hit or miss, 90's Springsteen is kind of bland unless you're already a fan, 80's Springsteen has to be separated into 3 segments, the Nebraska period where he was arguably at his peak, the Born in the USA part where he really blew up when it's possibly the weakest his music ever was in the old days because it appealed more to pop culture at the time, and the post Born in the USA part which is really just Tunnel of Love where he stepped back from the spotlight because he understood he would never again hit the height of Born in the USA.

70's Springsteen was his actual golden age IMO, I don't think any of his songs from that period are less than a 7/10 except maybe Night...OK, and The Angel. So none of his songs from then are less than 5/10. Once again this period has to be separated into segments, pre Born to Run and post Born to Run, or rather, pre and post the lawsuit he filed against his manager at the time, Mike Appel, who tried to screw him with a bullshit contract where Springsteen would receive, if I remember correctly, less than 10% of the revenue from his own work.

LIke, if all you heard of Springsteen was Born in the USA, Dancing in the Dark (I had a long period where I disliked Dancing the Dark just because it was always on the radio, but a few years of not listening to it made it sound better to me), Waiting on a Sunny Day (still don't like that one though), maybe some other songs from The Rising or Working on a Dream, I would get it. You listened to pop Springsteen, and it's his weakest aspect. I think he has literally admitted this in one interview or another from years ago.

But man, the whole Nebraska album kicks rear end, the whole Darkness on the Edge of Town album kicks rear end, Born to Run is probably one of the best albums of all time, then you have individual greats like The Ghost of Tom Joad, My City of Ruins, The River, Independence Day, Incident on 57th Street, Wrecking Ball, Youngstown, If I Was the Priest, The Wall, American Skin (41 Shots), Ghosts, Real World, man, I can keep going for hours.

I think a major understated part of Bruce Springsteen's music is the influence black music had on it. Let's be perfectly clear here, all of rock and roll, period, owes black musicians a huge debt, because before rock 'n roll was rock 'n roll, it was rhythm and blues, it was made by and pioneered by black artists, then a bunch of white people stole it and repackaged it to appeal to a wider crowd of white people who were down with the music but not the skin color. Some of those artists are more forthright about this than others. To me, it feels like the North East Coast rock artists, from the Tri State area in particular, were the best at both incorporating the "black" sound into their music and also giving credit where credit was rightfully due.

I think his most recent album as of now, Only the Strong Survive, which is literally just straight up covers of classic R&B songs is the most modern and clear example of how much black music made Bruce Springsteen, but he was never shy about it nor tried to hide it. It's present in his work from the very beginning, when most people were saying it more resembled Bob Dylan. Bruce Springsteen loves black music and black people, and he always strove to elevate and credit them whenever he could.

I also think a big reason why people might bounce off of him and his music is, quite frankly, dude's old now. The days when he could make a guitar talk and could headline 4 hour shows with electrifying energy all the way through, for months on end, are over. He's in his 70's, a lot of his friends and loved ones have passed on, and he himself is staring down the barrel. He knows there's a very good chance he won't be alive in the next decade or two. So a bunch (not all, but a significant chunk) of his music for the past several years has been introspective and retrospective, dealing with and singing about the aging experience and the feeling of faded glory and all that. To be fair, a lot of old rock artists are grappling with the same thing. The road goes on forever, but you don't. Rock 'n roll may never die, but that doesn't mean its conduits share that immortality.

This went on way longer than I thought I would write, and I still didn't actually go into the specifics I wanted to, but basically, I think Bruce Springsteen is in that category of artists who became so overrated that they are now underrated, and it's not really his fault. I'm not going to blame anyone in the north east, especially Jersey or New York, who hears perhaps too much Springsteen and is sick of it, that's fair, no music no matter how good or bad should be forced down someone's throat, but that doesn't make the music or the artist terrible. He also has an unfair reputation as a "heartland rocker who sings for The Working Class" when to me Bruce Springsteen was always just for the people who just wanted to break out of the lovely situation they were in, he was for the desperate and downtrodden who maybe sat too long in a four walled room desperate to make something happen or get somewhere but felt trapped by their lives and circumstances. Also, he's old and I can definitely see people bouncing off of the music he makes nowadays, a lot of which is more about the state of being an old person and inevitably having to deal with the very real presence of death.

Holy poo poo even my closer meant to wrap this post up went on too long, I'm just going to shut the gently caress up now. I'll end by saying someone in this forum compared Bruce Springsteen to Billy Joel a few years back and said that while Bruce Springsteen is the cheerleader who is rooting for you and wants you to succeed, Billy Joel is the guy who will laugh at you when you fail because we've all been there, and I'd say yeah that's a fair comparison, for good or ill.

i used this methodology to explain why you're posts aren't terrible to my girlfriend and she just shoved me into a locker

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Asbury Park is loving disgusting. Saw the Pixies there a couple weeks ago and I won't go back ever unless there's a disaster or plague that fixes what it's become. Ew. $50 Parking $60 Parking, OK. gently caress you asbury park. Get nuked. $900,000 for a single bedroom apartment? poo poo rear end loving beach town. You're not Manhattan suck my loving dick.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Snowy posted:

I’m excited to see godflesh/boris/melvins/conan on Saturday :)

BORIS HEAVY ROCKS

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Szyznyk posted:

Steely Dan
Van Halen
Rolling Stones
Elton John
Billy Joel
Ben Folds Five
Joe Walsh
Thin Lizzie
Rush
Cake

Honorable mention to Jackson Browne for the most perfect and depressing break up song of all time “Late For the Sky”.

This is a legit solid list and I want to add that everyone should listen to "Late For the Sky" immediately because it is a goddamn singer-songwriter masterpiece.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Just gonna plug that King Gizzard's newest Petrodragon is loving amazing.

I swear I've plugged it already somewhere on SA but gently caress it's a good album.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
A bunch of the early Jackson Browne songs are really good tbh. From that album alone I love The Late Show and Before the Deluge

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

King Gizzard is good poo poo and I need to go see them at Red Rocks one of these days

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
King Diamond

Why are you listing cover band poo poo like Nirvana or Hendrix, op?

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013
Corrosion of Conformity
Iron Maiden
Slayer
Zombie*
God Lives Underwater
Pop Will Eat Itself
Megadeth
Metal Church
Metallica
Ozzy
(Insert random hairband)

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013
And Mucky Pup.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

king crimson
talking heads
os mutantes
yes
soundgarden
appleseed cast
slayer
tori amos
deftones
nine inch nails

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 15, 2023

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

My list is all boomer stuff for..reasons. Also, not in any order

The Who
ELO
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Heart
ZZ Top
The Beatles
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Van Halen
The Eagles
The Doors

If we were adding in individuals then sub in Roy Orbison, Joan Jett and Ray Charles in there somewhere.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

MrQwerty posted:

King Gizzard is good poo poo and I need to go see them at Red Rocks one of these days

yeah I was listening to their new album today and noticed they released 3!! albums last year and they tour constantly. hardest working band on the planet, definitely top 10 worthy

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Earwicker posted:

king crimson
talking heads
os mutantes
yes
soundgarden
appleseed cast
slayer
tori amos
deftones
nine inch nails

hell yeah appleseed cast

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Grateful dead
moe.
Allman bros
Primus
Beastie boys instrumentals

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Grateful dead
moe.
Allman bros
Primus
Beastie boys instrumentals

definitely listened to all of the above while hotboxing cars during lunch in high school. plus tool and cypress hill.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Darth Brooks posted:

My list is all boomer stuff for..reasons. Also, not in any order

The Who
ELO
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Heart
ZZ Top
The Beatles
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Van Halen
The Eagles
The Doors

If we were adding in individuals then sub in Roy Orbison, Joan Jett and Ray Charles in there somewhere.

What's your single favorite Van Halen song?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
just looking at my spotify and attempting a list of 10...

Bob Dylan
the Band
Captain Beefheart
Allman Brothers
Rolling Stones
The Ramones album Too Tough to Die haha
Roky Erickson as a header for Bay Area psychedelic rock
John Lennon (tend to prefer "his" Beatles tunes)
Lou Reed
Brian Jonestown Massacre

i like Queens of the Stone Age

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 16, 2023

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

redshirt posted:

Jump is such a joyful shot of adrenaline it's hard to argue against it but Happy Trails makes me smile every time I hear it. The Lee Roth version of the band was a perfect blend of psychosis and skill. Every single hair band in the 80's wanted to be Van Halen. Even Van Halen, eventually.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Darth Brooks posted:

Jump is such a joyful shot of adrenaline it's hard to argue against it but Happy Trails makes me smile every time I hear it. The Lee Roth version of the band was a perfect blend of psychosis and skill. Every single hair band in the 80's wanted to be Van Halen. Even Van Halen, eventually.

I hate that "song". We can argue about it if you like, but I suspect you won't. So I wish you well and good night.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Disco Pope posted:

DEVO
The Replacements
The Sonics
The Stooges
Dinosaur Jr
Husker Du
The Clash
Wipers
Lightning Bolt
Pavement
Pixies (for the first 3 records)

:hmmyes: this list. I like this list.

e: could use more talking heads tho

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

GetDunked posted:

:hmmyes: this list. I like this list.

e: could use more talking heads tho

That's definitely a peak list untainted by boomers

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

That's definitely a peak list untainted by boomers

like half the bands on that list are boomers :confused: DEVO, the Stooges, The Clash, Husker Du, all those guys are in their 70s. or dead.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Earwicker posted:

like half the bands on that list are boomers :confused: DEVO, the Stooges, The Clash, Husker Du, all those guys are in their 70s. or dead.

They aren't a cliche part of those miserable classic rock boomer lists though

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

redshirt posted:

Dance the Night Away.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Caesar Saladin posted:

They aren't a cliche part of those miserable classic rock boomer lists though

The Clash show up plenty in Classic Rock magazines and stuff, but if Strummer was still with us, I imagine the boomers would hate him based on his trajectory.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Prince

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I forget where the quote comes from, but when one great guitarist was asked who he thought was the best guitarist, he answered "Prince" with no hesitation.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

I forget where the quote comes from, but when one great guitarist was asked who he thought was the best guitarist, he answered "Prince" with no hesitation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

What Prince stunt live on some pretty big guitar dudes

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

redshirt posted:

Daaaaance the night away.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

redshirt posted:

Prince was the first guitarist where as a kid I was like "oh poo poo, this can can really play."

I liked Guns N Roses as a kid but never felt that, so I'm not sure how that reflects on Slash.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Prince thinks his best song is Purple Rain but it's actually Little Red Corvette, vocally at least.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
My favorite prince song is raspberry beret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I legit love every Prince song I've ever heard. Are there any bad ones?