Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Batdance was Prince pretty much going 'Look, I'm going to take clips of this movie, mash in some of my unreleased songs and make it a massive hit and you can't stop me'. It owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I read somewhere else that Prince played every instrument on one of his first albums, or maybe several of them.

Dude could play drums, piano, world's best guitarist, I wouldn't be surprised if he could rock wind instruments.

He should be considered in the all time greats category and not just rock/soul/funk/etc, but all music. Mozart and poo poo.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Vampire Panties posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

What Prince stunt live on some pretty big guitar dudes

I knew what this was before clicking it, and it is the best.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^I don't think he played wind instruments at all AFAIK^^^

He did often play instrument on a lot of his songs, overdubbing them one track at a time.

redshirt posted:

I legit love every Prince song I've ever heard. Are there any bad ones?

There are a lot of bad ones but that's gonna happen when you release and record so many songs. Other side of that coin though is that there are a ton of great ones that, IMO, blow away many of his "hits" but were buried in the mix, on obscure albums or just straight up unreleased. The special edition box sets for 1999, Purple Rain, Sign O the Times and the upcoming Diamonds of Pearls each have 3 discs of unreleased tracks, which are astonishingly good (mostly). Weird to think that even his unreleased stuff and throwaways blow away 90% of the poo poo that's out there.

Prince is my favorite musician of all time and, over the years, I've acquired quite the collection of live and studio bootlegs. Also had the pleasure of seeing two of his legendary aftershows. For those not in the know, Prince would often play a small club somewhere, unannounced, after finishing a set on his main tour. Here, he would improvise, do covers and often just jam in ways that he didn't often do at regular concerts and that really showed what a true artist he was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBUFWnaKom8

Top 10? Does it have to be rock? Musicians or BANDS? I'll just stream of consciousness this thing...

- Prince
- Stevie Wonder
- Elton John
- Led Zeppelin
- Sly and the Family Stone
- Beastie Boys
- Red Hot Chilli Peppers
- Fiona Apple
- Rolling Stones
- James Brown

(Honorable Mention)
- Pink Floyd
- Talking Heads
- Parliament/Funkadelic/Bootsy Collins
- Beck
- Jack White/White Stripes
- Buckethead

* Is there a Prince thread? Maybe I should start one? I know a ton about him.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 16, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Szyznyk posted:

I just watched it again. So magical that like 2/3rds of the way through this all star band playing, Prince shows up from the side in a snappy red hat and proceeds to just deliver it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Prince was a legend in his time, that's for sure. My favorite songs from him are either Purple Rain or Lady Cab Driver, I love the synths on that song.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

redshirt posted:

I hate that "song". We can argue about it if you like, but I suspect you won't. So I wish you well and good night.

Are you being pissy about Jump or Happy Trails?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Darth Brooks posted:

Are you being pissy about Jump or Happy Trails?

Happy Trails and I was being all pissy and weird and I apologize.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Failure
Hum
Radiohead
Pink Floyd
King Crimson
Pixies
Polvo
The Shaggs
Low
Neil Young

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 16, 2023

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The song It from sign of the times rules

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

redshirt posted:

Diver Down is all pretty much a goof but it’s a beautiful goof. And I will defend the Pretty Woman music video to the very end.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Saalkin posted:

The Tragically Hip
Kim Mitchell
Rush
April Wine
The Guess Who
Bachman–Turner Overdrive
Neil Young
Our Lady Peace
Trooper
Barenaked ladies

I'd swap Loverboy for Trooper and Bryan Adams for Barenaked Ladies

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Stink Billyums posted:

Where in the gently caress is Gordon Lightfoot?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Szyznyk posted:

Where in the gently caress is Gordon Lightfoot?

can't rock out to edmund fitzgerald

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Stink Billyums posted:

can't rock out to edmund fitzgerald

Learn the Canadian Railroad Trilogy Dance.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

King Diamond & the Lizard Wizard

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Stink Billyums posted:

No Triumph? The shame! :canada:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The song It from sign of the times rules

That entire album is insanely great.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Since everyone's serious posting

Metallica
Pantera
Rage Against the Machine
White Zombie
Deftones
Guns n Roses
Van Halen
Pink Floyd
Black Sabbath
AC/DC

Honorable mention
Queen
Prince
Led Zeppelin

redshirt posted:

What's your single favorite Van Halen song?
Panama is just so fun to listen to while driving fast. I blame Gran Turismo 3(?) for that

Black Sunshine fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 16, 2023

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

redshirt posted:

I have no deeply serious attachments to Happy Trail. It reminds me of going to Hastings and being there until it closes. Plus their having fun with it.

I keep wanting to add to the top ten list. Maybe categorize it? Top ten classic rock. Top ten eighties bands. Top ten singer songwriters. Etc...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

redshirt posted:

I read somewhere else that Prince played every instrument on one of his first albums, or maybe several of them.

Dude could play drums, piano, world's best guitarist, I wouldn't be surprised if he could rock wind instruments.

He should be considered in the all time greats category and not just rock/soul/funk/etc, but all music. Mozart and poo poo.

im pretty sure he will be thought of that way in the future

my favorite prince album is piano and a microphone, its so stripped down, just the basic ideas of some of his songs but he is just jamming them out, its brilliant

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

redshirt posted:

Man prince makes Mozart look like a little biotch.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

steve albini likes to run his mouth but also aside from big black and a few shellac tunes, most of what he's done isn't particularly interesting or great and doesn't really warrant the position he seems to have established for himself as a font of bitter sound guy knowledge

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It’s fun to read his bitter opinions :)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Earwicker posted:

steve albini likes to run his mouth but also aside from big black and a few shellac tunes, most of what he's done isn't particularly interesting or great and doesn't really warrant the position he seems to have established for himself as a font of bitter sound guy knowledge

big black is really enough of an accomplishment to run your mouth about whatever though

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Earwicker posted:

Blessed Black Wings isn't my favorite High on Fire album, but the sound design is raw as gently caress between Pike's voice being thrashed and Albini's engineering

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Bodyholes posted:

Failure
Hum
Radiohead
Pink Floyd
King Crimson
Pixies
Polvo
The Shaggs
Low
Neil Young

gently caress I don't know how I forgot about Hum, Downward is Heavenward was my favorite album for years and Inlet is an incredible album

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Szyznyk posted:

I genuinely don't know much about Prince and this video was very eye opening holy poo poo

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Steve Albini is the most overrated producer of all time. His albums all sound like garbage and he only gets props because Jesus Lizard and Slint were such insanely talented bands that they still sound good even with Albini's amateurishness dragging down their albums.

Rapeman and Shellac had some killer songs though. I don't hate the guy I have a lot of respect for him, but people clearly told him he was a genius for too long that it's gotten to his head. Many such cases.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Revins posted:

I genuinely don't know much about Prince and this video was very eye opening holy poo poo

Prince is the best. His "Purple Rain" phase dominated America for a couple of years. Which was amazing cuz he's the real deal. A true artist.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Revins posted:

That's just the tip of the iceberg. He just showed it that one time. A lot of people saw that performance and were like "holy poo poo! I didn't know he could play like that!" but if you dig through his catalog, you'll see. Go down a YouTube rabbit hole with him one day and be amazed.

There's a reason his Super Bowl halftime show is so revered. They had a real musician and a real band on stage who did not gently caress around.

Dude could do pretty much anything.

Well...except act or direct a movie, I suppose

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

That's just the tip of the iceberg. He just showed it that one time. A lot of people saw that performance and were like "holy poo poo! I didn't know he could play like that!" but if you dig through his catalog, you'll see. Go down a YouTube rabbit hole with him one day and be amazed.

There's a reason his Super Bowl halftime show is so revered. They had a real musician and a real band on stage who did not gently caress around.

Dude could do pretty much anything.

Well...except act or direct a movie, I suppose

I still love Apollonia!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

redshirt posted:

I still love Apollonia!

Accubitus
Nov 7, 2020
My Chemical Romance
Panic! At the Disco
Fall Out Boy
All Time Low
Pierce the Veil
Good Charlotte
Skillet
Hot Chelle Rae
Taking Back Sunday
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Accubitus
Nov 7, 2020
oops should have read the thread that was not a serious post

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Whoever created this:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It seems like we aren't being super strict about genres, so:

The Cramps
AC/DC
The Offspring
White Zombie
Love and Rockets
Garbage
Nine Inch Nails
Ministry (and offshoot bands, like Lard)
Green Day
Social Distortion

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Heck yeah!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
gently caress, I’ll get in on this:

The Cure