Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

All I need is ACDC and Zep and I'm good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kntfkr posted:

ACDC is Aussie trash.

And?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Oh poo poo I forgot about Def Leppard

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pyromania was "rock" solid from start to finish.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Kyuss
Queens of The Stone Age

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Brant Bjork is so good. Welcome to Sky Valley is so fuckin good.
Half of my top 10 are there because the drummers are guys that influenced me bigtime.

I hope you've listened to their "Blues for The Red Sun"

Also, Welcome to Sky Valley is loving amazing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Spinz posted:

You've got to be kidding

AC DC who I saw live and enjoyed Back n Black album totally, have like 1 song they do variations of, that's it

Be real

Oh Mister Hoitey Toitey Rock And Roll Here.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When BLM has a long Zep set, just rip off the knob (metaphorically).

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DIO!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Careful that's not music from this century

I care not. I care only for ROCK!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol This is what I am talking about!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Pavement
The Pixies
My Bloody Valentine
Joy Division
Dinosaur Jr
The Beatles
The Smiths
The Strokes
Velvet Underground
Radiohead

Oh hell yeah "My Bloody Valentine"

Caution: Flashing light warning

Only Shallow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyYMzEplnfU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I do love Dido!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Negostrike posted:

Ryuichi Sakamoto
Pet Shop Boys
Kate Bush
Bakufu Slump
Yellow Magic Orchestra
Tears for Fears
Jamiroquai
Tad
Kraftwerk
808 State

Does "Rock" mean nothing?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Franco Flintstone

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Alright here we go, folks.

10. Jon Foreman

Fairly unknown in America but there's been some profiles about what this Welsh artist has done with beach rock patterns. It's a stunning display of temporary, found work that has a mandala like effect.

9. Akie Nakata

Nakata's work is what might at first seem like something "cute" you'd find in a beach gift shop, but there's a level of detail in her animal rock paintings that rewards deep inspection.

8. Jean Verame

Sometimes it's not just the effect, but the extraordinary effort that goes into a work and when you think of the scale of Jean Verame's mountainside work it's very much worth an inclusion on this list. Helps that they are visually gorgeous too.

7. Gutzon and Lincoln Borglum

Look, it may be a cliche at this point, but Mount Rushmore is truly a stunning achievement in the history of sculpting. Problematic nature of the work aside, though it would be wrong not to note it was an intrusion on Native land, it is still a national treasure.

6. Paul Cézanne

Okay, I'm cheating. Cézanne may not have used rocks as his medium, but his paintings of rocks and quarries are beautiful and demand to be seen in person. An appreciation of the rock should count here.

5. Gary Dahl

Hehe, I know I'm being coy with this one, but the Pet Rock is a centerpiece of American kitsch culture. Dahl may have been a businessman, but the simple charms of the Pet Rock helped inspire so many young children to follow their own creative endeavors. It is in itself a work of art.

4. Jonathan Bréchignac

A contemporary French artist whose "Alien Rocks" series is on the avant-garde of rock artistry. He's one to watch.

3. Andy Goldsworthy

Now we're talking about the champions. Goldsworthy doesn't just make art with rocks, all of nature is his tapestry. One of our living greats.

2. Barbara Hepworth

Barbara Hepworth's sculptures make you completely rethink what it is possible to make out of a rock.

1. Michelangelo

Is marble a rock? Is this cheating? Who cares? Shout out to the king, the greatest to ever do it. Rest assured whatever you do in your life, none of it will weigh as heavy on the direction of modern art as Michelangelo's name has. To me, that's a comfort.

I've read that there were many rock artists who came and passed on the blocks that became Michelangelo's greatest rock work.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Darth Brooks posted:

My list is all boomer stuff for..reasons. Also, not in any order

The Who
ELO
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Heart
ZZ Top
The Beatles
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Van Halen
The Eagles
The Doors

If we were adding in individuals then sub in Roy Orbison, Joan Jett and Ray Charles in there somewhere.

What's your single favorite Van Halen song?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Darth Brooks posted:

Jump is such a joyful shot of adrenaline it's hard to argue against it but Happy Trails makes me smile every time I hear it. The Lee Roth version of the band was a perfect blend of psychosis and skill. Every single hair band in the 80's wanted to be Van Halen. Even Van Halen, eventually.

I hate that "song". We can argue about it if you like, but I suspect you won't. So I wish you well and good night.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I forget where the quote comes from, but when one great guitarist was asked who he thought was the best guitarist, he answered "Prince" with no hesitation.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I legit love every Prince song I've ever heard. Are there any bad ones?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I read somewhere else that Prince played every instrument on one of his first albums, or maybe several of them.

Dude could play drums, piano, world's best guitarist, I wouldn't be surprised if he could rock wind instruments.

He should be considered in the all time greats category and not just rock/soul/funk/etc, but all music. Mozart and poo poo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Szyznyk posted:

I knew what this was before clicking it, and it is the best.

I just watched it again. So magical that like 2/3rds of the way through this all star band playing, Prince shows up from the side in a snappy red hat and proceeds to just deliver it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Darth Brooks posted:

Are you being pissy about Jump or Happy Trails?

Happy Trails and I was being all pissy and weird and I apologize.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Revins posted:

I genuinely don't know much about Prince and this video was very eye opening holy poo poo

Prince is the best. His "Purple Rain" phase dominated America for a couple of years. Which was amazing cuz he's the real deal. A true artist.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

That's just the tip of the iceberg. He just showed it that one time. A lot of people saw that performance and were like "holy poo poo! I didn't know he could play like that!" but if you dig through his catalog, you'll see. Go down a YouTube rabbit hole with him one day and be amazed.

There's a reason his Super Bowl halftime show is so revered. They had a real musician and a real band on stage who did not gently caress around.

Dude could do pretty much anything.

Well...except act or direct a movie, I suppose

I still love Apollonia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Heck yeah!!