Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^I don't think he played wind instruments at all AFAIK^^^

He did often play instrument on a lot of his songs, overdubbing them one track at a time.

redshirt posted:

I legit love every Prince song I've ever heard. Are there any bad ones?

There are a lot of bad ones but that's gonna happen when you release and record so many songs. Other side of that coin though is that there are a ton of great ones that, IMO, blow away many of his "hits" but were buried in the mix, on obscure albums or just straight up unreleased. The special edition box sets for 1999, Purple Rain, Sign O the Times and the upcoming Diamonds of Pearls each have 3 discs of unreleased tracks, which are astonishingly good (mostly). Weird to think that even his unreleased stuff and throwaways blow away 90% of the poo poo that's out there.

Prince is my favorite musician of all time and, over the years, I've acquired quite the collection of live and studio bootlegs. Also had the pleasure of seeing two of his legendary aftershows. For those not in the know, Prince would often play a small club somewhere, unannounced, after finishing a set on his main tour. Here, he would improvise, do covers and often just jam in ways that he didn't often do at regular concerts and that really showed what a true artist he was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBUFWnaKom8

Top 10? Does it have to be rock? Musicians or BANDS? I'll just stream of consciousness this thing...

- Prince
- Stevie Wonder
- Elton John
- Led Zeppelin
- Sly and the Family Stone
- Beastie Boys
- Red Hot Chilli Peppers
- Fiona Apple
- Rolling Stones
- James Brown

(Honorable Mention)
- Pink Floyd
- Talking Heads
- Parliament/Funkadelic/Bootsy Collins
- Beck
- Jack White/White Stripes
- Buckethead

* Is there a Prince thread? Maybe I should start one? I know a ton about him.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The song It from sign of the times rules

That entire album is insanely great.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Revins posted:

I genuinely don't know much about Prince and this video was very eye opening holy poo poo

That's just the tip of the iceberg. He just showed it that one time. A lot of people saw that performance and were like "holy poo poo! I didn't know he could play like that!" but if you dig through his catalog, you'll see. Go down a YouTube rabbit hole with him one day and be amazed.

There's a reason his Super Bowl halftime show is so revered. They had a real musician and a real band on stage who did not gently caress around.

Dude could do pretty much anything.

Well...except act or direct a movie, I suppose

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

redshirt posted:

I still love Apollonia!