Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Zeppelin
Megadeth
Sleep
Pre-Heritage Opeth
High on Fire
Mastodon
Beatles
Sabbath
Cream
Zappa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Brant Bjork is so good. Welcome to Sky Valley is so fuckin good.
Half of my top 10 are there because the drummers are guys that influenced me bigtime.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

redshirt posted:

I hope you've listened to their "Blues for The Red Sun"

lmao Sleep, Mastodon, and High on Fire were all in my top 10, I am very familiar with the Kyuss and QOTSA catalogues and Kyuss is like 11 probably.
Big Bikes is one of my favorite songs.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Careful that's not music from this century

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

This whole song is great. It's got the legendary Dio obviously, and Meat Loaf's part rules too.

The opening with Jack Black's song about the dragon is sweet too

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Elder fuckin rocks, Dead Roots Stirring is a great album start to finish and so is Lore
I ordered a black vinyl copy of Lore and they sent me one of the Euro tour only color disc sets instead, and Lore has really killer sleeve artwork already

edit: Age of Winters and Warp Riders-era The Sword is awesome too

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 14, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

neato burrito posted:

NEW QUESTION: do you prefer rock / metal with clean vocals or growls? I understand that Dio and King Diamond are very talented singers I just can't stomach their sound when it's attached to heavy music.

depends

I like old Mastodon's vocals but their modern Three Dog Night and only Troy screams thing is pretty sweet too
Old Opeth has a great mix of the two as well

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

King Gizzard is good poo poo and I need to go see them at Red Rocks one of these days

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Earwicker posted:

steve albini likes to run his mouth but also aside from big black and a few shellac tunes, most of what he's done isn't particularly interesting or great and doesn't really warrant the position he seems to have established for himself as a font of bitter sound guy knowledge

Blessed Black Wings isn't my favorite High on Fire album, but the sound design is raw as gently caress between Pike's voice being thrashed and Albini's engineering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Ween are really good