Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

In no particular order because they're not necessarily comparable, also the specific albums that I think are accomplishments (because all of these bands have some lovely-rear end albums)

Tool - Lateralus
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Tortoise - TNT
The Sea and Cake - Oui
Coheed & Cambria - In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth 3
Cold War Kids - Robbers & Cowards, Loyalty to Loyalty
Minus the Bear - Highly Refined Pirates
Silversun Pickups - Swoon
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire

time to rock out :rock: to tortoise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

Alright here we go, folks.

10. Jon Foreman

Fairly unknown in America but there's been some profiles about what this Welsh artist has done with beach rock patterns. It's a stunning display of temporary, found work that has a mandala like effect.

9. Akie Nakata

Nakata's work is what might at first seem like something "cute" you'd find in a beach gift shop, but there's a level of detail in her animal rock paintings that rewards deep inspection.

8. Jean Verame

Sometimes it's not just the effect, but the extraordinary effort that goes into a work and when you think of the scale of Jean Verame's mountainside work it's very much worth an inclusion on this list. Helps that they are visually gorgeous too.

7. Gutzon and Lincoln Borglum

Look, it may be a cliche at this point, but Mount Rushmore is truly a stunning achievement in the history of sculpting. Problematic nature of the work aside, though it would be wrong not to note it was an intrusion on Native land, it is still a national treasure.

6. Paul Cézanne

Okay, I'm cheating. Cézanne may not have used rocks as his medium, but his paintings of rocks and quarries are beautiful and demand to be seen in person. An appreciation of the rock should count here.

5. Gary Dahl

Hehe, I know I'm being coy with this one, but the Pet Rock is a centerpiece of American kitsch culture. Dahl may have been a businessman, but the simple charms of the Pet Rock helped inspire so many young children to follow their own creative endeavors. It is in itself a work of art.

4. Jonathan Bréchignac

A contemporary French artist whose "Alien Rocks" series is on the avant-garde of rock artistry. He's one to watch.

3. Andy Goldsworthy

Now we're talking about the champions. Goldsworthy doesn't just make art with rocks, all of nature is his tapestry. One of our living greats.

2. Barbara Hepworth

Barbara Hepworth's sculptures make you completely rethink what it is possible to make out of a rock.

1. Michelangelo

Is marble a rock? Is this cheating? Who cares? Shout out to the king, the greatest to ever do it. Rest assured whatever you do in your life, none of it will weigh as heavy on the direction of modern art as Michelangelo's name has. To me, that's a comfort.

you forgot Radiohead and tortoise