Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I recently acquired a 1966 Plymouth Satellite that up until 2 years ago, when it was last driven, was regularly drag raced at BIR in Minnesota. It was owned and raced by my uncle who passed away earlier this year. He bought it in 2013 with a 440 stroked to 502ci putting out 505hp and 603 ft/lbs. He bought a new engine in 2016, a 440 stroked to 512ci that on the dyno put out 696hp and 670 ft/lbs but the next dyno session brought it down to 620hp and 600 ft/lbs. Along with the new engine he paired it to a 727 transmission that he worked up to survive the new power.

It's sitting on drag slicks right now but he had a set of 315 wide road tires in the garage but I didn't see a DOT date code to determine how old they are (honestly I didn't look very hard).

The interior was slightly stripped while adding the roll cage. Stock seats are long gone, replaced by racing buckets and harness. The rear seats are still installed but currently full of some spare parts including the driveshaft.

It looks like a lot of the stock wiring was removed (I really don't know how much it had to begin with) and these switches were added at some point. One switch is hidden behind the shifter, labelled "CC", any guess as to what that does?

Opening the trunk shows the tubbed wheel wells to make room for the slicks, the fuel cell (110 octane race fuel only, from the documentation I found), and the battery.

Where I stand now

I have no idea what I'm doing kidding but not really. I want to turn this into a street car, or as much of a street car as I can. I know it has drag suspension, and a "tied frame" but I don't know how that will affect things. This is my first carbureted car engine so that's going to be fun.

The last time it was at the track he was kicked out for an "oil leak". It currently doesn't have the driveshaft installed so without the ziplock I put around the transmission extension housing, it'd be dumping the rest of the transmission fluid so right now I'm assuming the leak is coming from the transmission (possibly the seal on the end of the extension housing?).

The engine doesn't have a goddamn dipstick (that I can find) so I have no idea if it has oil, although it's probably due for an oil change anyway since it hasn't been driven in a couple years. The transmission might have a dipstick, but I'll probably change that fluid out too while I'm at it. I'm not sure if there is coolant either; I opened the cap and didn't see any and squeezing the hoses didn't inspire much confidence.

The valve covers have these T-bar valve cover nuts. Not sure what the point is, but I have a full set so I suppose I'll install the rest that are still in the original packaging.

No spark plugs installed. I have at least two sets of new plugs, just need to get them installed. I'm considering doing a compression test before I put the spark plugs in, if only just to make sure all 8 cylinders have compression before I try to start it. I also need to figure out the spark plug wires and where each one plugs in. That should be easy to figure out referencing the distributor, but still something I need to do. What else should I do with the engine prior to starting it?

I have a rough idea of the shift pattern for the transmission but without any way to see what gear it's currently in. Might change out the shifter at some point.

It doesn't have an exhaust beyond the headers. I have two mufflers that were purchased a couple years ago but never installed. Not worried about that now but my neighbors are gonna be pissed.

My wife thinks the car is cool but that only goes so far so I'm trying to keep this reasonable. I think this is something I can handle, but I'm not attached to it so worst case I'll get it running again and sell it to someone who wants to keep racing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
This was an unexpected delight to read

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Your thread title is a question already answered by your thread title.

Others will give you better advice than I will but yeah sort it out and it'll be fun as hell to drive, but the only responsible place to really taste what it can do will be at a track. Fortunately it's not terribly expensive or complicated. Do get that oil leak fixed though, they hate that. Leaks shorten the day for everyone. And I don't think they would kick him out unless he did it more often than he should, so watch out for that.

Even if you don't keep it, it looks gorgeous and should bring a stack of pretty pennies to you if you sell it on.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
This is cool as hell, but I wonder how :supaburn: it is to drive?

The T bar rocker fasteners are probably just to make it easier to quickly access for adjustments etc trackside.

Definitely needs a yellow dipstick.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Looking forward to this because it looks very cool but also because…

two_beer_bishes posted:

worst case I'll get it running again and sell it to someone who wants to keep racing it.

:allears:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The T-bolt valve fasteners are for quicker access, some people are concerned that repeated hard runs down the track warrant pulling the valve covers and checking the lash on their solid lifter cams.

Or sometimes its people that want to look cool and like a racer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Do get that oil leak fixed though, they hate that. Leaks shorten the day for everyone.

This, and also it must have been a fairly substantial leak. Tech inspectors before they let you onto the track don't usually get picky about things that don't look like they could be actively dripping while running, so if they sent him home after doing a pass that was a lot of fluid down.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

the only responsible place to really taste what it can do will be at a track

Yeah, my wife is already talking about bringing it out to Gingerman.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The T-bolt valve fasteners are for quicker access, some people are concerned that repeated hard runs down the track warrant pulling the valve covers and checking the lash on their solid lifter cams.

Or sometimes its people that want to look cool and like a racer.

That makes sense, there was a lot of documentation on lash adjustments in the stack of paperwork.

IOwnCalculus posted:

This, and also it must have been a fairly substantial leak. Tech inspectors before they let you onto the track don't usually get picky about things that don't look like they could be actively dripping while running, so if they sent him home after doing a pass that was a lot of fluid down.

The leak is 2nd hand info so I don't know anything other than "he was kicked out for leaking oil on the track" but yeah I'm sure it was substantial.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
How likely is it that the missing dipstick tube and the severe oil leak that got him kicked off the track are related?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

boxen posted:

How likely is it that the missing dipstick tube and the severe oil leak that got him kicked off the track are related?

That's a really good question. It seems to be pretty common to not have a dipstick tube, like if you want one you have to pull the oil pan and drill out a cover from the inside. I'll have to track down the exact location of where it should be and see if there's a hole. Mosquitos are pretty oppressive in Michigan right now so I haven't had much time outside other than to take some pics and get some repairs done to the trailer.

e: I just realized I didn't include a full pic of the monster engine

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 14, 2023

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
If it was a crate motor, they might not have installed one due to a wide variety of customer requirements. I don't know much about big block Mopars, but I don't THINK a stroker crank causes dipstick issues until you get really silly?
Depending on bore/stroke, another possible source of the leak is external oil lines from the pan to the pump... once you get beyond a certain stroke length on a 440, the crank starts interfering with the oil pickup tube, and the solution is to drill two holes in the side of the oil pan and run lines external lines to the oil pump mounted on the side of the block. From what I've read, that being done badly or being sealed badly is the cause of many, many stroker 440 oil leaks, and I think I see that setup in your engine picture taken from the side.

Another shot in the dark - I'd be surprised if a drag car didn't have a line lock, maybe that's what the mystery switch is for? No idea what "CC" would stand for, unlikely that a track car has cruise control and it doesn't have an electric radiator fan.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I'm not sure, but that evacuator line (or its predecessor!) from the valve cover looks like it could have melted off on the header. Doubt that woulda blasted THAT much oil out, but still it needs a look.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Aaaaand subscribed. This should be fun.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The 440 is the best sounding V8 ever made. Please post a burnout video once you get it running.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If you can't find the dipstick and don't know how whether or not it has oil in it, just drain the oil to be sure, and then fill it.

Then you'll know its got oil and that its fresh.

Also change the filter too I guess.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

two_beer_bishes posted:

Yeah, my wife is already talking about bringing it out to Gingerman.

Is there a drag strip at or near Gingerman raceway or are you taking a drag car to a road course? Either way :getin:

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

Is there a drag strip at or near Gingerman raceway or are you taking a drag car to a road course? Either way :getin:

I think they have a strip at Gingerman but I don't know for sure. I'd love to take it on a road course but that's probably not the best idea. We're in SE Michigan so I can't imagine it'll be tough to find a spot to drive it.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

If you can't find the dipstick and don't know how whether or not it has oil in it, just drain the oil to be sure, and then fill it.

Then you'll know its got oil and that its fresh.

Also change the filter too I guess.

Yep, that's the plan.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The 440 is the best sounding V8 ever made. Please post a burnout video once you get it running.

The documents for the transmission specify to do burnouts in 2nd or 3rd gear, and NOT 1st gear. Glad I saw that!

Commodore_64 posted:

I'm not sure, but that evacuator line (or its predecessor!) from the valve cover looks like it could have melted off on the header. Doubt that woulda blasted THAT much oil out, but still it needs a look.

I scratched at that with my fingernail and it barely felt raised so it might just be residue from a sticker or something, no idea.

boxen posted:

If it was a crate motor, they might not have installed one due to a wide variety of customer requirements. I don't know much about big block Mopars, but I don't THINK a stroker crank causes dipstick issues until you get really silly?
Depending on bore/stroke, another possible source of the leak is external oil lines from the pan to the pump... once you get beyond a certain stroke length on a 440, the crank starts interfering with the oil pickup tube, and the solution is to drill two holes in the side of the oil pan and run lines external lines to the oil pump mounted on the side of the block. From what I've read, that being done badly or being sealed badly is the cause of many, many stroker 440 oil leaks, and I think I see that setup in your engine picture taken from the side.

Another shot in the dark - I'd be surprised if a drag car didn't have a line lock, maybe that's what the mystery switch is for? No idea what "CC" would stand for, unlikely that a track car has cruise control and it doesn't have an electric radiator fan.

Thanks for sharing, that's some good info!

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

This is cool as heck. Is the CC switch momentary or a toggle? I agree line lock makes sense, but I feel like I’ve heard of drag cars having a timing retard switch for cold start because they run locked out timing? Maybe seems unlikely here but CC = cold crank?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

two_beer_bishes posted:

I scratched at that with my fingernail and it barely felt raised so it might just be residue from a sticker or something, no idea.

Yeah it does look pretty rectangular.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Figured out the CC switch, it's actually "LL" for line lock! Two other hand drawn diagrams had it written more clearly as LL.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

two_beer_bishes posted:

The documents for the transmission specify to do burnouts in 2nd or 3rd gear, and NOT 1st gear. Glad I saw that!

Yeah, it means your valvebody doesn't have low/reverse band apply (meaning it also doesn't have any engine braking in first gear), this means your low/reverse drum is only held by the overrunning clutch, aka "the sprag". If/when the sprag fails, the low drum will go to roughly 2x engine RPM, and if you still have a stock low drum in there it will immediately experience a rapid unscheduled disassembly.

Not a good time.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Tinkered with the car a little today. I finished replacing the valve cover nuts with the T-bar things that the PO had started to install. I found the spot in the block where the dipstick should be and it is blocked off, so that answers that question.

I jacked up the back end of the car to try to minimize the transmission leak but I need to get the trans blanket off so I can get a better view of the transmission case.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Currently draining the old oil. Holy poo poo the magnetic drain plug was dirty, I don't think it was ever cleaned! The oil coming out looked pretty good but still not having any idea how much was in there, I still feel better doing a full oil/filter change.

Dirty

Clean

I got all four corners up the in the air to give myself more room. After poking around for a few minutes I noticed something. Looks like I'm going down the same path as my uncle before he stopped working on this.

I removed the transmission mount and crossbar to try to wiggle the blanket out but it feels like it's still attached to something so I'm assuming it goes around the shifter. I'm going to put that off for now.

There's been a slow but steady drip of transmission fluid that isn't coming from the rear seal so let's follow the drops!

Oh

gently caress, that's a crack

When we initially pulled the car out of my uncle's garage and started going through things to see what parts and tools we wanted to take, anything clean or new caught my eye and ended up in the pile. Thankfully this thing was sitting nearby!

I don't know if the oil seal that's installed is new so I'm going to replace that while it's out along with anything else I can determine to be a wear item. I found some helpful parts diagrams and even a PDF of the service manual so once I get a parts list together and ordered, I'm hoping it'll go together easily.

Any idea who made this aluminum radiator? It's probably not very important to know but I'd like to have an idea if anyone recognizes the name or logo.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

two_beer_bishes posted:

Any idea who made this aluminum radiator? It's probably not very important to know but I'd like to have an idea if anyone recognizes the name or logo.

Looks like Northern Radiator.
https://www.northernradiator.com/

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

boxen posted:

Looks like Northern Radiator.
https://www.northernradiator.com/

Sure does, thanks!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

It’s these guys: https://www.northernradiator.com/

When I pass on there will also be a large collection of broken cars and the replacement parts in boxes.

e:f,b

Chef Brian
Jul 20, 2004

HAY KB THANKS FOR BUYING ME MY ACCOUNT! I THINK THIS IS AN APPROPRIATE WAY TO THANK YOU! -A-ARSE

Big Taint posted:

When I pass on there will also be a large collection of broken cars and the replacement parts in boxes.

The AI credo in a nutshell.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I drained the trans to reduce spillage when I remove the extension housing and finally had enough room to pull the transmission blanket out. I took out the bolts holding the housing on and wiggled it a little to make a gap for any remaining fluid to drain out.

Parts are on order for installing the replacement housing so besides removing the broken housing, I probably won't get much else done for a few days.

From what I can tell the cars of this era didn't usually come with expansion/overflow tanks, and this is an aftermarket radiator, but should something be hooked up to this?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

two_beer_bishes posted:

From what I can tell the cars of this era didn't usually come with expansion/overflow tanks, and this is an aftermarket radiator, but should something be hooked up to this?

At that point it's more of an overflow, or at least that's how it is on my old 50's Chevy truck. However, that also has a large tank on the top of the radiator, so that the empty volume when cold doesn't take volume from the finned area. On your vehicle, it seems like you should have an expansion tank so that you don;t run the rad partially empty. Hopefully someone with direct knowledge chimes in, but that's my reasoning.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Just puke the extra on the ground if it's hot" was normal practice then, yes. But there's no reason you can't hook up an overflow to that and treat it like a newer car. Hell, track tech would be much happier with that.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hell, track tech would be much happier with that.

This alone is why I'm surprised this car doesn't already have an overflow.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Hahaha

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

That's not supposed to be there is it?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

:kstare:

Is that from the installed trans or is that the spare?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

That's not supposed to be there is it?

Less than ideal, I think

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

:kstare:

Is that from the installed trans or is that the spare?

This one just came off the trans, the spare is in much better shape. First shipment of rockauto stuff should arrive tomorrow so I should be able to get everything back together tomorrow or Saturday.

I really need to organize the paperwork I have. Right now it's all crammed together in a paper grocery bag. It would be helpful if I had an engine folder, transmission folder, etc so I could go right to what I need but there isn't much motivation for that right now. So I need to dig through and find the engine paperwork that says how much oil I should put in, same with the transmission. If I can get everything buttoned up this weekend I think we'll be ready to fire it up!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

two_beer_bishes posted:

Less than ideal, I think

This one just came off the trans, the spare is in much better shape. First shipment of rockauto stuff should arrive tomorrow so I should be able to get everything back together tomorrow or Saturday.

I really need to organize the paperwork I have. Right now it's all crammed together in a paper grocery bag. It would be helpful if I had an engine folder, transmission folder, etc so I could go right to what I need but there isn't much motivation for that right now. So I need to dig through and find the engine paperwork that says how much oil I should put in, same with the transmission. If I can get everything buttoned up this weekend I think we'll be ready to fire it up!

Well that's some good news.

I don't really know poo poo about Mopars but I'm excited to follow the thread.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Two new issues: I can't get the old oil filter off, even with a strap wrench thing. The radiator has a leak.

New tail housing seal showed up today so I'm hoping I can get the transmission stuff all back together and install the driveshaft. I forgot to pick up transmission fluid while I was out but I have to go back to return the rental tool from O'Reilly's anyway. I was really hoping to get this thing started this weekend but I don't think that's going to happen with the radiator leak even if I can get this drat oil filter off.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

two_beer_bishes posted:

I was really hoping to get this thing started this weekend but I don't think that's going to happen with the radiator leak

Obvious suggestion: you can start an engine with no water in it and let it run for a bit (i dunno, maybe up to half a minute?) without much danger I think, although I'd remove the water pump belt if there is no water at all in the engine. If you can keep the coolant in the block (cap off the radiator hoses or whatever) that'd give you more time yet.

You'd at least be able to start the engine and listen for any horrible noises.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

boxen posted:

Obvious suggestion: you can start an engine with no water in it and let it run for a bit (i dunno, maybe up to half a minute?) without much danger I think, although I'd remove the water pump belt if there is no water at all in the engine. If you can keep the coolant in the block (cap off the radiator hoses or whatever) that'd give you more time yet.

You'd at least be able to start the engine and listen for any horrible noises.

That's a good point and got me thinking, why not just fill the system with water and let 'er rip since it'll be a temporary fill anyway.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I don't really know poo poo about Mopars

That makes two of us but I'm slowly picking things up as I go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Use a pair of chain vice grips on that filter.

https://www.kmstools.com/vise-grip-locking-chain-pliers.html

These MFs.