Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I'm willing to bet that we found the transmission oil leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Use a pair of chain vice grips on that filter.

https://www.kmstools.com/vise-grip-locking-chain-pliers.html

These MFs.

Holy poo poo that looks medieval

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

two_beer_bishes posted:

Holy poo poo that looks medieval

I use a pair of them bitches to get stuck hydraulic filters off poo poo.

They work if you got the room.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Caution, I've had the chain links cut the filter in two if you don't tighten the pliers enough.

fake edit: also, the cracked tail housing is usually because of a bad u-joint, unbalanced driveshaft or loose/bad trans mount in my experience.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 23, 2023

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Caution, I've had the chain links cut the filter in two if you don't tighten the pliers enough.

fake edit: also, the cracked tail housing is usually because of a bad u-joint, unbalanced driveshaft or loose/bad trans mount in my experience.

That makes sense. I remember seeing a receipt for work on the driveshaft, I'll dig that out and see when that was done. Based on how clean it is, I'm guessing he got it back from the shop and never got around to installing it since he died before he could fix the housing.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
The driveshaft was sent out in 2017 so there still might be a problem with that, or at least the u-joints. I'm going to look into new joints and a new trans mount since those are easy things to do.

Edit: Found an invoice for a new driveshaft in 2018 too

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 23, 2023

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

"Just puke the extra on the ground if it's hot" was normal practice then, yes. But there's no reason you can't hook up an overflow to that and treat it like a newer car. Hell, track tech would be much happier with that.

That's what I did with my CJ.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I found a store with the chain wrench thing and gave that a shot. But I'm an idiot and just realized that the one I bought doesn't have the vice-grip locking mechanism which is probably what hosed me today but the one I got felt like it was really tight on there. Also I probably hosed up by using it at the very end instead of right up by the housing. Anyway, here's a pic

I took the radiator off to see if there's any way to repair it before I drop the money on a new one. What the gently caress is this poo poo?

edit: went out to lock up the shed and decided to give it another try with the chain right up against the base and it came right off.

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 23, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

edit: went out to lock up the shed and decided to give it another try with the chain right up against the base and it came right off.

:toot:

And I'd flush the hell out of that cooling system with a garden hose after seeing that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

And the award for understatement of the year goes t

OH. gently caress. That's a very loud oh gently caress.

Someone dropped the clutch with slicks on it, didn't they. Amazed it didn't turn the driveshaft (or most of the rear end.. or hell, even the frame) into a pretzel. I.... I just don't even have a proper reply for that. That took WORK.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 24, 2023

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

:toot:

And I'd flush the hell out of that cooling system with a garden hose after seeing that.

Yeah that's definitely happening.

randomidiot posted:

And the award for understatement of the year goes t

OH. gently caress. That's a very loud oh gently caress.

Someone dropped the clutch with slicks on it, didn't they. Amazed it didn't turn the driveshaft (or most of the rear end.. or hell, even the frame) into a pretzel. I.... I just don't even have a proper reply for that. That took WORK.

It was hard to be surprised when I knew there was s substantial leak. If anything I'm thankful it was this part since it's easily replaceable and collateral damage was minimal.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

two_beer_bishes posted:

I took the radiator off to see if there's any way to repair it before I drop the money on a new one. What the gently caress is this poo poo?

WTF? Flush every possible coolant passage as much as you possibly can. It doesn't look like metal (is it?) but maybe build up of some kind, maybe someone mixed coolant types or put some garbage stop leak stuff in there.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

WTF? Flush every possible coolant passage as much as you possibly can. It doesn't look like metal (is it?) but maybe build up of some kind, maybe someone mixed coolant types or put some garbage stop leak stuff in there.

It's definitely not metal, it feels soft when I crush it between fingers. I don't know what kind of coolants would have to mix to cause this, I've never seen anything like this. The water pump inlet has a little of this poo poo too so a full flush is on the list of things to do. Stop leak is possible too since the radiator clearly has a leak.

I finished the oil change today and I'm done with everything related to the transmission except filling it with fluid but I'm going to wait until I get the driveshaft back in, which I learned is missing the u bolts for attaching it to the rear yoke. It's getting a little frustrating finding more and more stuff that needs to be done but thankfully nothing has been a show stopper.

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 24, 2023

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Mineral buildup from hard water?

looks more like calcium than metal

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
My money is on Stop Leak residue from last time someone tried to fix the radiator.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's probably stop leak which is loving bonkers to put in a drat racecar.

I'd check every cooling passage you can and make sure there's nothing sticking to the walls, I had a Miata that was ruined by a PO putting shitloads of stop leak in it.

[e] check all the hoses too and replace any of them that are caked

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Just frustrated

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 25, 2023

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Got the driveshaft installed today and started filling the transmission with fluid. I found a drain plug on each side of the block so that will make flushing it easier. I'm running out of time to get stuff done; I go back to work on Thursday so nothing is going to get done until I get home next week.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Quick update on the car: New radiator is here, I just need to track down a new lower radiator hose and get it all mounted up. I have the battery on a charger right now but it's 50/50 if it's strong enough to start the engine.

It's cooling down here in Michigan so my window for driving it this year is slowly closing. I feel like I'm really close to doing so, but I still need to get new bolts for the engine mounts since two are missing :iiam: Oh and figure out the shift pattern of the transmission. It's in park right now but I'd like to iron out where reverse is since it's currently pulled nose first into my car port.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

two_beer_bishes posted:

Quick update on the car: New radiator is here, I just need to track down a new lower radiator hose and get it all mounted up. I have the battery on a charger right now but it's 50/50 if it's strong enough to start the engine.

It's cooling down here in Michigan so my window for driving it this year is slowly closing. I feel like I'm really close to doing so, but I still need to get new bolts for the engine mounts since two are missing :iiam: Oh and figure out the shift pattern of the transmission. It's in park right now but I'd like to iron out where reverse is since it's currently pulled nose first into my car port.

Driving a car after a long hibernation is great but having your car hella splode is much worse. How splody is it likely to be?

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Big Taint posted:

When I pass on there will also be a large collection of broken cars and the replacement parts in boxes.

AKA exactly how I got my 67 Mustang. Half disassembled and with several boxes worth of replacement parts. Lots and lots of interior parts except for the original reason he took it apart - the heater core. Factory A/C makes the replacement job a nightmare.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I've been prepping for a job interview so car work has been on the back burner, and I'm going back to work tomorrow so expect another quiet week.

I finally tracked down the correct radiator hoses but I need to fab up new mounts which I didn't expect I would have to do. I still want to drive this at some point but a lot of the electrics have been stripped so stuff like the turn signals don't work. Electrical stuff doesn't worry me, it's just going to take time. I still want to get this out on the road before winter!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
pulling up to your interview in your 696HP drag car seems like a good way to make an impression tbh

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Unless he is applying at the Sierra Club.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I finally got the new radiator mounted up and filled with coolant. I connected the battery and turned it over a few times to get the water pump to move it through the system.

There's a way to prime the oil pump by removing the distributor and using a drill. I really don't know how to do that without loving up the distributor timing (will it gently caress it up?) so I need to read up on that before attempting that. Once I'm confident the engine will have oil pressure upon startup, I just have to get the spark plugs installed and we'll be ready to fire her up!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You can do your best to mark the distributor position when you take it out / reinstall it but you should still be able to get it close enough without doing that and re-timing the engine is just regular work on a setup like that.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Iirc from watching poo poo like horsepower tv etc Al back in the day, try to get the engine at tdc on the compression stroke on cylinder #1 mark the distributor pisition with a sharpie, remove the cap and note the position of the rotor which should be pointed at cylinder #1. Prime that poo poo, till your gauge says you've got some pressure, put the distributor back in making sure the rotor is pointed at #1 again. It might take a couple tries to get the gear teeth in the right spot. Then secure the distributor once you line up the marks you made with the sharpie.

From there you should be close enough that you can start it and adjust things with a timing light.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
mark where the distributor body is pointing (usually the vacuum advance canister is a convenient pointer, if you have one of those on a race car), mark where the rotor is pointing while the distributor is in, then mark where it rotates to when you pull it due to the helical gears. then yeah you might be able to get it close to where it was, fine tune with a timing light.

also, shine a flashlight down there so you can see which way the oil pump drive slot is facing, line it up the same way so the distributor can engage it afterwards. (are they slotted like a chevy?)

i would probably not want to deal with all that and would probably just crank it with the plugs out until i got oil pressure, but my engines probably have at least one fewer zero than yours on the pricetag.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for the tips guys, that seems to be inline with what the manuals say.

Raluek posted:

i would probably not want to deal with all that and would probably just crank it with the plugs out until i got oil pressure, but my engines probably have at least one fewer zero than yours on the pricetag.

But this is really what I want to do. It's going to be below freezing next week so I really need to make sure coolant has been distributed throughout the block and I can't think of a better way than to just crank it for a bit (while also giving the starter time to cool down).

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I don't remember,but is the block filled with water? If it's empty I wouldn't worry too much about it.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I flushed it to get as much of that crud out as possible.

Also

:woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBg696ieF8k

Edit:

Interior view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U1shKyjCtM

I can't believe how loud this loving thing is. I'll have to get an actual exhaust installed at some point!

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 28, 2023

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Sounds pretty healthy. And loud. Great job dude

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

two_beer_bishes posted:

Also

Edit:

Interior view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shorts?4U1shKyjCtM

I can't believe how loud this loving thing is. I'll have to get an actual exhaust installed at some point!

:lol: Fuckin' get some. Yeah, I think you're gonna need some exhaust if you want to drive this thing on the street.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Also

Edit:

Interior view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U1shKyjCtM

gotta take the shorts part out of the url for the second one.

anyway, christ that sounds good. it's really got some compression! snap crackle pop!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Raluek posted:

Late to the talk but this is the standard way for a lot of vintage racing people, especially on the lower end formula ford and such.

It's alive!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Raluek posted:

gotta take the shorts part out of the url for the second one.

Thanks, I don't upload to youtube very often so that was new to me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow dude good job, sounds amazing I'm super jealous lol

Can't wait to see the burnout videos :)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Wow dude good job, sounds amazing I'm super jealous lol

Can't wait to see the burnout videos :)

i think he'd be able to make a burnout video by just dropping it into drive at idle, lol

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if there's a variant for Mopar RBs, but for Chevy SBs there's a dizzy hold-down clamp that you clamp around the dizzy shaft as well, meaning you don't change the timing every time you remove it, I buy one stat and put it in every car I get since I first found out about them.

EDIT: Moroso 26215 is an example of what I'm talking about, but there are cheaper variants out there.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm looking at some exhaust options from TTI (2.5in vs 3in and X vs H pipe, leaning towards 3in H-pipe but I need to make sure it'll fit with all the modifications this car has) but I don't know that I'll make a move on that this year. In the meantime, I'd like to run the engine long enough to get it up to temp but I can't do that in it's current state. Since I have two mufflers already, is there any reason why I couldn't just connect them directly to the headers?