Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
How likely is it that the missing dipstick tube and the severe oil leak that got him kicked off the track are related?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
If it was a crate motor, they might not have installed one due to a wide variety of customer requirements. I don't know much about big block Mopars, but I don't THINK a stroker crank causes dipstick issues until you get really silly?
Depending on bore/stroke, another possible source of the leak is external oil lines from the pan to the pump... once you get beyond a certain stroke length on a 440, the crank starts interfering with the oil pickup tube, and the solution is to drill two holes in the side of the oil pan and run lines external lines to the oil pump mounted on the side of the block. From what I've read, that being done badly or being sealed badly is the cause of many, many stroker 440 oil leaks, and I think I see that setup in your engine picture taken from the side.

Another shot in the dark - I'd be surprised if a drag car didn't have a line lock, maybe that's what the mystery switch is for? No idea what "CC" would stand for, unlikely that a track car has cruise control and it doesn't have an electric radiator fan.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

two_beer_bishes posted:

Any idea who made this aluminum radiator? It's probably not very important to know but I'd like to have an idea if anyone recognizes the name or logo.

Looks like Northern Radiator.
https://www.northernradiator.com/

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

two_beer_bishes posted:

I was really hoping to get this thing started this weekend but I don't think that's going to happen with the radiator leak

Obvious suggestion: you can start an engine with no water in it and let it run for a bit (i dunno, maybe up to half a minute?) without much danger I think, although I'd remove the water pump belt if there is no water at all in the engine. If you can keep the coolant in the block (cap off the radiator hoses or whatever) that'd give you more time yet.

You'd at least be able to start the engine and listen for any horrible noises.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
My money is on Stop Leak residue from last time someone tried to fix the radiator.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

two_beer_bishes posted:

She asked me what it would take to turn this car into something that could handle a road course like Gingerman since that's within driving distance for us.

"Only some money"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

two_beer_bishes posted:

I might just forgo the tailpipes and put in a downturn right after the mufflers ahead of the rear axle, at least to get it driving.

Completely reasonable. You might get fumes in the passenger compartment I suppose, but if it's bad or too loud it will at least get you to a muffler shop where they can weld up whatever you want.
Also, instead of going straight down under the car (where the sound is going to hit the pavement and bounce back up to the underside of the car, and be loud), you could maybe kick it out to each side ahead of the rear wheel.