Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Is the tea thread commonwealth adjacent enough to use the CECRET word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Secret word? Commonwealth? Tea?

You mean the word "milk"?

I run two teas,

One - earl grey for during daylight hours
Two - green Jasmine from sundown to sun up

Milk in both.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
My woefully under-stocked handmade cabinet for bagged tea

My loose leaf area with various tea accessories. The cup has some freshly brewed Earl Grey!

From left to right -
Honeybush Apricot
Irish Breakfast
Milk Oolong
Matcha
2009 Gao Jia Shan "Wild Fu Zhuan" Hunan Brick Tea
Imperial Grade Silver Needle White Tea of Jinggu
Middle Mountain "Yu Lan Xiang" Dan Cong (Duck poo poo) Ooolong
Gyokuro
Organic Yellow Tea (My favorite)
Earl Grey
Pu-Erh (on top)
Organic Peppermint
Lapsang Souchong (don't like it)
Chamomile

I forget what kind of pu-erh tea cake is in the foreground, but it is yummy

isaboo fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 15, 2023

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Literally A Person posted:

This tea shelf is actually kinda cute
extremely nice except for the fact that it's also a tinned fish altar. the thought of tucking into a 'dine before or after a cup is a bit too evocative for me

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Is the tea thread commonwealth adjacent enough to use the CECRET word

gently caress no. This thread is so full of herbal infusions it's practically German.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

isaboo posted:

My loose leaf area with various tea accessories. The cup has some freshly brewed Earl Grey!

From left to right -
Honeybush Apricot
Irish Breakfast
Milk Oolong
Matcha
Gyokuro
Earl Grey
Pu-Erh (on top)
Organic Peppermint
Chamomile

That little tea bag cabinet is p adorable honestly.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Literally A Person posted:

That little tea bag cabinet is p adorable honestly.

thanks! My 80 year old mom made it for me :)

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

isaboo posted:

thanks! My 80 year old mom made it for me :)

Hells yeah

:3:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

nice obelisk idiot posted:

tinned fish altar

now i want a saint candle with a fish on it

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

isaboo posted:

From left to right -
Honeybush Apricot
Irish Breakfast
Milk Oolong
Matcha
Gyokuro
Earl Grey
Pu-Erh (on top)
Organic Peppermint
Chamomile

now we’re talking tea

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I do iced tea and coffee a lot.

I mean I have a box of twinnings earl grey put away somewhere and some pre mixed chai in the fridge, but it’s this stuff that I actually drink.

Guayusa is a green tea that has more polyphenols than standard for green tea by a lot supposedly, and definitely has more caffeine. Once again, -supposedly- more than coffee, but caffeine is different depending on the source or something idk I am not a smart man.

Gynostemma looks a lot like the dirt rear end weed I used to smoke as a kid and is some kind of adaptogen which sounds a lot like bullshit, but it has helped me keep rolling at a half a pack a day without breaking stride. Most of this hippie poo poo I do is so I can continue with my bad habits so ymmv without yoga and homeopathic amounts of honey in your iced tea whatever it tastes good.

That Kirkland Ethiopian light roast is the poo poo. Light roast has more caffeine and doesn’t taste like Peet’s burnt rear end in a top hat.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

goatface posted:

gently caress no. This thread is so full of herbal infusions it's practically German.

lol

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Mrs Isaboo and I would like to open a tea shop/tea house but it wouldn't do well here in redneckville GA. The only tea the chuds know around here is the nasty, too sugary sweet tea the south is infamous for.

For those of you that mentioned honey, my favorite is from https://reallyrawhoney.com

Literally some of the tastiest stuff I've ever eaten. Get some of the "high cappings" variety to chew on the yummy propolis and honeycomb.

Their fermented honey is on a whole other level. It's crazy good.

Also, if you can find Tupelo honey it goes really well with green tea and is very smooth.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 15, 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

saw a bunch of you drinking red rose, that poo poo is hosed up.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

isaboo posted:

Mrs Isaboo and I would like to open a tea shop/tea house but it wouldn't do well here in redneckville GA. The only tea the chuds know around here is the nasty, too sugary sweet tea the south is infamous for.

For those of you that mentioned honey, my favorite is from https://reallyrawhoney.com

Literally some of the tastiest stuff I've ever eaten. Get some of the "high cappings" variety to chew on the yummy propolis and honeycomb.

Their fermented honey is on a whole other level. It's crazy good.

Also, if you can find Tupelo honey it goes really well with green tea and is very smooth.

I too live in a cultural wasteland of sweet tea, and have thus invested in my delicious tea setup out of frustration at my inability to get something to drink that wasn't water and wasn't somehow filled with more sugar than a coke.

Speaking of, a little off topic, apparently it's a thing to put coke in coffee somewhere in some other places I've never been. I tried it at about a 80/20 mixture of coke to coffee and it was p good. Apparently coke used to market it in America as "blaque" or something. Try it sometime and I'll be ordering some of this honey.

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

My tea;s are all crap, gotta say

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress you got me thinking about that again, it seems like the kind of thing a person could do if they took the product and made it fit the culture. Like a consession stand at state fairs that sold "healthy organic energy drinks" and "bubble tea" or whatever stupid name someone could come up with for agua frescas like tamarindo and horchata

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Toxic Mental posted:

I don't drink tea

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
If you don't drink tea you'll never know the pleasure of cha zui, or being tea drunk

Get drunk on tea, stay high on life

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

isaboo posted:

If you don't drink tea you'll never know the pleasure of cha zui, or being tea drunk

Get drunk on tea, stay high on life

Please describe

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I think different people will describe it slightly differently, but for me it's a feeling of mild euphoria, light headedness and giddiness and being more alert than usual. It isn't like being stoned or drunk on alcohol, and it doesn't have the same rush from caffeine like with coffee. It's more of an emotional state than a physical one. High grade oolongs and pu-erhs are best for it in my experience, with the cups of tea being consumed in rapid succession. On an empty stomach, one might feel nauseous. The dan cong oolong in the picture I posted will get me feeling crazy if I drink too much too quickly.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the content of L-theanine in tea, an amino acid with effects similar to GABA. I keep a bag of L-theanine handy for the occasional cup of coffee, as it prevents a caffeine crash if added in a 2:1 ratio of theanine to caffeine. It's also great for sleeping - I take 200-300mg an hour before bed and it settles any anxiety.

It's also great for helping with focus at work, as it produces a calming feeling without the drowsiness. A few cups of quality matcha is great for this, because you're consuming the entire leaf in powdered form, increasing the intake of L-theanine.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 15, 2023

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Incremus posted:

I can't believe someone besides the OP has a literal tea drawer vs a cupboard or shelf

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Decedent posted:

gently caress you got me thinking about that again, it seems like the kind of thing a person could do if they took the product and made it fit the culture. Like a consession stand at state fairs that sold "healthy organic energy drinks" and "bubble tea" or whatever stupid name someone could come up with for agua frescas like tamarindo and horchata
While I'm in the land of sweet tea I'm not exactly in the midst of pure redneck. But I get my loose leaf local from a spice shop and I think their secret to keeping tea moving is doing a lot of spices blends with counter serve samples and to go cups with a lot of sugar available.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Don't talk to me if you don't have at least a dozen different varieties of leaves to brew.
And if it's all camelia sinensis I still think you're basic.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Enfys posted:

I can't believe someone besides the OP has a literal tea drawer vs a cupboard or shelf

I got a big fuckin' tea drawer.

I don't even drink tea! Maybe once in a blue moon, in the winter. I do coffee. This is all for my housemate and to support the friends we have over, who are all tea people.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

isaboo posted:

georgia has a thriving tea culture and is one of the states where tea rooms do quite well; with the caveat that georgia’s tea culture comes down from old dead rich english people; so, while it has a lot of successful tea rooms (compared to other states), most of them are quite lame

the times, they are a changing though, and there may very well be demand for fresher concepts. maybe put a bit more thought into yours, because the market might be there in a few years

it’s still the hospitality business, so keep in mind that literally almost any other investment would be better for you in every way possible

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I assume tea is like coffee roasting hospitality where you start it not because you expect a 3 year ROI but because you want a certain varietal that only comes in a crate costing 5 figures and you need to sell through to subsidize your curiosity.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Our desire for a tea shop is mainly just my wife wanting ALL THE TEA.

She has drank it all her life but I'm a recent convert, giving up alcohol in favor of tea. Once my palate got clean and I could appreciate a cup of good tea, I was all in.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Incremus posted:

that costco green is surprisingly good, imo. i always take a bunch when I travel.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
have any of y'all tried Kanna tea? it's a South African herb that the media has likened to a "natural alternative to MDMA!!!" but I suspect it's nothing of the sort. It is said to induce feelings of euphoria and well-being though. I'm surprised I couldn't even find a cheap selection on Amazon so I'll have to look elsewhere

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

Buce posted:

that costco green is surprisingly good, imo. i always take a bunch when I travel.

It’s my favorite of the bunch. Traveling with it is a great idea I’m going to adopt. Hate waking up in the hotel and it’s too early to go out but I want something decent to drink.

ITO-EN is a good tea maker in general. Love their cold bottled stuff.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

isaboo posted:

Our desire for a tea shop is mainly just my wife wanting ALL THE TEA.

She has drank it all her life but I'm a recent convert, giving up alcohol in favor of tea. Once my palate got clean and I could appreciate a cup of good tea, I was all in.

Sounds like my girlfriend, she's obsessed with all the tea all the time. I haven't made the switch from espresso to tea full time yet, I'm pretty sure I'd be haunted by all my Sicilian ancestors if I did. I still love a good cup of tea in the morning though, it just hits different.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I have a tea cart!

Those ceramic boxes on top are full of tea, as well as most of the mason jars below. My fave for autumn is Constant Comment which is precious as I can't find it here in Canada.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Metaline posted:

I have a tea cart!

Those ceramic boxes on top are full of tea, as well as most of the mason jars below. My fave for autumn is Constant Comment which is precious as I can't find it here in Canada.

Upping the thread to ~cart level~

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Decedent posted:

Apparently coke used to market it in America as "blaque" or something. Try it sometime and I'll be ordering some of this honey.

It was called Coke Blāk and it was simultaneously wonderful and awful and weirdly addictive. Definitely a “love it or hate it” thing but I guess more people hated it because it didn’t last very long :rip:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's not a drawer, it's a cabinet

Bonus cat

Edit: there's also a big box of twinnings irish breakfast next to the kettle for everyday use

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 17, 2023

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Speleothing posted:

seems a bit mess…

…oh, never mind

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Speleothing posted:

Bonus cat

Edit: there's also a big box of twinnings irish breakfast next to the kettle for everyday use

The tiny little container of decaf on the right lol

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The tiny little container of decaf on the right lol

That's just a normal 1.5 pound bag of coffee from the natural grocery :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I wish I could live my life with half of the confidence and authenticity of someone who has a tea cart filled with tea urns but who holds a special place for Constant Comment.