Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

anyone have good recommendations here? thought about it this morning while i was preparing a cup of joe with one of my cherished primula brew buddies. it’s a little submicron filter bag attached to a durable plastic ring

fits right on top of a mug and is just perfect for a lazily made single cup of coffee. even better for tea, but they don’t advertise that for some reason. such a simple device, and it works so well. never see anyone else using them though

curious about what other goons might have going on. simple things only. please save the robots for the “complicated things you have deluded yourself into adoring” thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Probably not really the spirit of the thread but I don't feel like enough people own a sunhat.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Jelly posted:

Probably not really the spirit of the thread but I don't feel like enough people own a sunhat.

no, that’s totally the spirit of this thread

e: probably more of like a specific hat recommendation would be better though

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Rice cookers and cheapo hot water kettles. Get something by zojirushi with fuzzy logic and you will be able to eat perfectly made rice whenever you want which I can no longer live without. Boil in bag minute rice is not the same.

Sure I can microwave a mug of water for tea or I can use a kettle and it's faster somehow and there's zero chance I'll have boiling water explode on me.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Ever heard of a bidet, op?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Multi-ply toilet paper

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Tristesse posted:

Rice cookers and cheapo hot water kettles.
The cheapo hot water kettle I got is definitely one of the best things I've bought in years so it sounds like I need a rice cooker. I love the poo poo out of rice and when I'm struggling with appetite it's like one of the only things I want to eat so not sure why I don't have one.

Oh, I got one, robot vacuums.

I got the Xiaowa / Roborock one and I think it's my favorite purchase in the last decade.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Multi-ply toilet paper
Honestly not sure how I feel about this. Seems more likely to tear apart, or leave residue, then the one ply stuff folded over; though it definitely feels nicer.

I just got a bidet, so not a huge factor anymore!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Tristesse posted:

Rice cookers and cheapo hot water kettles. Get something by zojirushi with fuzzy logic and you will be able to eat perfectly made rice whenever you want which I can no longer live without. Boil in bag minute rice is not the same.

Sure I can microwave a mug of water for tea or I can use a kettle and it's faster somehow and there's zero chance I'll have boiling water explode on me.

We have electric kettles because they heat up way faster than a stove or microwave.
And we bought a cheapo rice cooker that doubles as a slow cooker and it's probably the best investment ever. Took a bit of water adjustment to not end up with dry rice because of high altitude but it's paid off the $40 easily.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

What's a good cheap rice cooker? They're all over the place in price.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Jelly posted:

https://www.aromaco.com/product/digital-rice-grain-multicooker-arc-150sb/

This is the one we bought, it was cheaper at the store than their website.
Only gripe is it's annoying to clean the lid and rim, but the pot itself is very easy to clean and remove.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Jelly posted:

i bought the 30 dollar tiger one wal mart and it worked incredibly well. if you want to save some cabinet space and also want a slow cooker and pressure cooker, grab an instant pot

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tristesse posted:

Costco sells a microwaveable white rice that comes out really nicely, probably good enough for home made sushi but I mostly make little home made chicken katsus with them

They look like this

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Konar posted:

Costco sells a microwaveable white rice that comes out really nicely, probably good enough for home made sushi but I mostly make little home made chicken katsus with them

They look like this

We also stock up on the microwaveable rice packs similar to this.
Don't use them for most meals but they're great when you want something small, quick, and lazy for a meal.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Timed coffee maker. Put the water and grounds in at night, wake up to fresh coffee the next morning. Such a simple life enhancer.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I just ordered an InstantPot. Hope this gets me cooking again.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

One word - Balldo

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I have an irrational fear of pressure cooking and pressurized anything in general.
Otherwise yeah instantpot is pretty much the best bang for the buck with how much you can do with it.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Philips Hue Bulbs and sensors.

I no longer need to walk around muttering under my breath about lights being left on. My lights in active rooms (kitchen/bathroom/office) turn off after 10 minutes of no motion detected, and turn on when I walk in. Other lights throughout the house come on at sundown, and gradually get dimmer and warmer in tone as the night goes on and I'm winding down.

You can even tweak the motion timeouts by time of day, so after 2am, my lights turn off after 5 minutes of zero motion.

It's probably the only smart home product that has lived up to its promise.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 14, 2023

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The Primula silicone Tea Bag Buddy is amazing for individual mugs of hot tea. Traps the steam and heat in as it sits over the mug while brewing and holds the strings in place, and makes it easy to squeeze the bags without a mess.

https://primulaproducts.com/products/tea-bag-buddy

I use this thing a lot.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The hula hoop. You know, for kids.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I no longer need to walk around muttering under my breath about lights being left on. My lights in active rooms (kitchen/bathroom/office) turn off after 10 minutes of no motion detected, and turn on when I walk in. Other lights throughout the house come on at sundown, and gradually get dimmer and warmer in tone as the night goes on and I'm winding down.

You can even tweak the motion timeouts by time of day, so after 2am, my lights turn off after 5 minutes of zero motion.

It's probably the only smart home product that has lived up to its promise.

This, but I was forced to go in a different direction because I found that living in apartment buildings really messes with 2.4ghz Hue devices.

Instead, I use Google Home + these bad boys: https://www.teckinhome.com/collections/smart-bulb

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

do they need a cloud connection to work?

I'm outfitting a houseboat that won't always have internet. I was planning on getting a starlink thing for it but my elon policy is in hard no territory ATM.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the female cannabis plant produces buds which, when dried, can be smoked to induce a pleasurable intoxicating effect

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

frumpykvetchbot posted:

do they need a cloud connection to work?

I'm outfitting a houseboat that won't always have internet. I was planning on getting a starlink thing for it but my elon policy is in hard no territory ATM.

You won't be able to control your lights from afar but the main hue light controller works fine on a LAN with no internet.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Mozi posted:

the female cannabis plant produces buds which, when dried, can be smoked to induce a pleasurable intoxicating effect

I'll bet it's very hard to grow though?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Konar posted:

They look like this

does it count as life enhancing if it produces so much waste that its actively harmful to the planet?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've created my own magic wand but it is unreplicable.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Grey Cat posted:

I have an irrational fear of pressure cooking and pressurized anything in general.
Otherwise yeah instantpot is pretty much the best bang for the buck with how much you can do with it.

Don't be afraid. Embrace pressure.

Edit:

I started learning the saxophone and this device has prevented my neighbors from killing me when I practice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1DbqHkBx_8

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Konar posted:

They look like this

My son lives off this.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

DADDY'S DOORNOB BAD! :mad:

Patented commercial product bad! Me not know how work. Call cop. Stop insanity.

Overdog fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 14, 2023

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Do yourself a favour and get a pack of these thread snips from Amazon/AliExpress/wherever, they are ubiquitous.

Good for loose threads, labels, cigarette papers, tape, trimming the flowers of the Cannabis family of plants (and presumably others), and a lot of other little uses.

Get the metal ones, they can be sharpened too IME so a pack of three will last a lifetime and they cost gently caress all.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

ReelBigLizard posted:

Do yourself a favour and get a pack of these thread snips from Amazon/AliExpress/wherever, they are ubiquitous.

Good for loose threads, labels, cigarette papers, tape, trimming the flowers of the Cannabis family of plants (and presumably others), and a lot of other little uses.

Get the metal ones, they can be sharpened too IME so a pack of three will last a lifetime and they cost gently caress all.

that’s the stuff right there. simple. life improving. not a robot :haibrower:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Extendible back scratchers.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

The gangy can opener

Its simple as hell, cheap, has no moving parts, every other can opener has broken in me in 1-2 years

This one rules, got a bottle opener and tab lifter on it too

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Dick Fontaine posted:

anyone have good recommendations here? thought about it this morning while i was preparing a cup of joe with one of my cherished primula brew buddies. it’s a little submicron filter bag attached to a durable plastic ring

fits right on top of a mug and is just perfect for a lazily made single cup of coffee. even better for tea, but they don’t advertise that for some reason. such a simple device, and it works so well. never see anyone else using them though

curious about what other goons might have going on. simple things only. please save the robots for the “complicated things you have deluded yourself into adoring” thread
Holy poo poo I'm immediately ordering one of these, thank you

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
Maybe I just missed the boat on this and it's common knowledge, but these Thera Cane type massagers are amazing:

You can do normal massage, trigger point stuff, or get leverage on your back and sort of pry your rib cage, shoulder blades, hips etc around. It's great. Mine has a sort of semi-sharp edge and I scrape my legs and obliques with it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jelly posted:

It's funny how in my head legionnaires hats are for kids (mainly because that's most of the people you see wearing them in oz) because really that's the best least annoying effective sun hat even if it's also the dorkiest.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
A cloak

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jedi Robes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023