Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Back scratcher.

Bang for buck one of the very best things I own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Continuing the microwave theme: the microwave cover. The inside doesn't have to get all dirty!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

This right here, y'all. I don't even eat fish.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Buttchocks posted:

vertical mouse

Seconding this. I have the Logitech MX Vertical and several people have tried it and converted too.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ReelBigLizard posted:

Seconding this. I have the Logitech MX Vertical and several people have tried it and converted too.

Any recommendations itt on an introductory vertical mouse in the low-mid price range? $100 is a bit steep currently but I'd like to try one before committing.
I've wanted to try one out for a while now because my hands get pretty strained especially from drawing and typing for long periods.

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

Buttchocks posted:

vertical mouse

Absolutely. Switched to one years ago and my wrist pain disappeared and I can game basically indefinitely.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Grey Cat posted:

Any recommendations itt on an introductory vertical mouse in the low-mid price range? $100 is a bit steep currently but I'd like to try one before committing.
I've wanted to try one out for a while now because my hands get pretty strained especially from drawing and typing for long periods.

I haven't experienced any others tbh but there is a cheaper Logitech, the Lift, which is also vertical and about 65 notes. Otherwise I'd just pick up whichever Chinese vertical is best rated on Amazon, then if you like it go all the way to the MX.

I went for the MX straight away and don't regret it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A healthy diet, plenty of sleep, exercise, mental stimulation, loving friends and family, etc.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

A healthy diet, plenty of sleep, exercise, mental stimulation, loving friends and family, etc.

Why not just call me out as a failure directly?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

redshirt posted:

sir, this is a thread for things you can actually get

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

Grey Cat posted:

The Zelotes vertical although I've gone through 3 already. They are very cheap but last maybe a year, in my experience. Currently using a Nulea but the back/fwd buttons are at the top vs the base which is not my preference but it's still plenty comfortable and seems to have much better build quality.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

chappey posted:

The Zelotes vertical although I've gone through 3 already. They are very cheap but last maybe a year, in my experience. Currently using a Nulea but the back/fwd buttons are at the top vs the base which is not my preference but it's still plenty comfortable and seems to have much better build quality.

Honestly don't mind if it only lasts a year at a $20 pricetag. If it's at least a good experience of vertical mice I could upgrade when it craps out. The nulea is wired so I'll probably shoot for that. I don't use the side buttons enough to matter anyways so i can live with that.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Grey Cat posted:

Why not just call me out as a failure directly?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Grey Cat posted:

I don't like ceiling fans, they make the light flicker from the blades and it sets my tism off.
I'll stick to my standing fans.

No they don't. Not unless you have a light on, attached to the fan which is also off balance. If so, get a better fan and a different light. Who the gently caress uses overhead lighting in their living areas anyway?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

No. 6 posted:

No they don't. E: Not unless you have a light on, attached to the fan which is also off balance. If so, get a better fan and a different light. Who the gently caress uses overhead lighting in their living areas anyway?

The blades do in fact cause very small rapid light flashes in the room. Thanks for dictating that for me though.

E: Well yeah that's a different story. I hate room overhead lights with ceiling fans, if I get to choose the lighting and fan it's better, like lamps off to the side.
Going to someone's house where their only light is on the ceiling and they run a ceiling fan it drives me loving nuts.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 15, 2023

shen
Jan 22, 2006

A pair of premium dish gloves with the soft inner lining and enough insulation so that the temperature of the water doesn't bother you, buy a size or two bigger than what fits so you can quickly shimmy them off one-handed if you need to use your phone or eat something.

Best paired with a radio tuned to your favourite local station that you flick on as you walk over to the sink to start the dishes.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow.

LOL I love that song!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Grey Cat posted:

The blades do in fact cause very small rapid light flashes in the room. Thanks for dictating that for me though.

E: Well yeah that's a different story. I hate room overhead lights with ceiling fans, if I get to choose the lighting and fan it's better, like lamps off to the side.
Going to someone's house where their only light is on the ceiling and they run a ceiling fan it drives me loving nuts.

I'm 100% with you here. Those people are monsters and likely also run CFLs because they have no soul.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

No. 6 posted:

I'm 100% with you here. Those people are monsters and likely run CFLs because they have no soul.

Lights flicker? Straight to jail.
:cheers:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Grey Cat, we can be light buddies. I'm very picky about direction, intensity, and color of indoor lighting. Overhead lights are for factories and garages.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

No. 6 posted:

Grey Cat, we can be light buddies. I'm very picky about direction, intensity, and color of indoor lighting. Overhead lights are for factories and garages.

Hell yeah, I have delicate lighting needs and will happily be buddies with like-minded lights weirdo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

No. 6 posted:

I'd like to sign up for this club.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Gangtag when?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
Bulb Buddies

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

Cheap smart lights are also pretty great. Warm lighting at night, brightass 6000k lights during the day. Automate that poo poo and you don't even have to think about it.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Photonic Phriends

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Philips Huemans

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I pay the autism tax by having RGB bulbs because light at the wrong brightness and/or colour can hurt my brain. Getting dimmable and temperature shift bulbs is a godsend and I don't want to go back.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

rgb bulbs are a bit on the fancy and complicated side, but yeah, they make your life much better if you have environmental sensitivities. never really thought about it, but i think this might be one of the reasons i’m ride-or-die on work-from-home now

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'll bet it's very hard to grow though?

the crazy thing is that it grows like some sort of... generally hardy and resilient plant, much like those you might purposefully remove from your garden bed

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Continuing the microwave theme: the microwave cover. The inside doesn't have to get all dirty!

Absolutely.Although I just use a pyrex lid.

Mozi posted:

the crazy thing is that it grows like some sort of... generally hardy and resilient plant, much like those you might purposefully remove from your garden bed

Almost like...a weed?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I have a cast-iron one. It's a bitch to clean, causes some fires, but the food is :discourse:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My microwave looks brand new and I've barely ever cleaned it over 10 years because of this one simple trick.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Grey Cat posted:

Hell yeah, I have delicate lighting needs and will happily be buddies with like-minded lights weirdo.

Yeah half the time I'm just sitting in the dark because I don't particularly like having lights on. I've got as much natural light as I can manage in a ground floor apartment. I do like those hue bulbs or whatever they're called because I can keep the light temperature at a color that doesn't make me feel insane.

Seconding the Logitech MX line recommendation, they are kind of pricey but imo a good buy if you're comfortable spending the money. I've got the mouse and the keyboard and they're both great.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Yeah half the time I'm just sitting in the dark because I don't particularly like having lights on. I've got as much natural light as I can manage in a ground floor apartment. I do like those hue bulbs or whatever they're called because I can keep the light temperature at a color that doesn't make me feel insane.

Seconding the Logitech MX line recommendation, they are kind of pricey but imo a good buy if you're comfortable spending the money. I've got the mouse and the keyboard and they're both great.

Yeah definitely all for the programmable bulbs as everyone is suggesting. They're great.

Also happy to hear the MX vertical mouse is good a few times, I'll definitely look into it if I like the Nulea that I ordered.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I don't own a microwave. Almost everything can be done on the stove, in the oven, or with a electric kettle.

I do miss Hot Pockets, but I'm glad not to have that conveniently in my life.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Home Depot's house brand for light bulbs makes some great non-smart LED bulbs that have a physical slider to control color temperature, and they're really cheap. I generally try to avoid IoT crap, and having nice dumb bulbs that I can adjust color temperature on has been a godsend.

They also make bulbs that are automatic 3-way bulbs that will cycle through brightness levels just by flipping the wall switch extra times, which has also been a huge quality of life thing for me. Adjusting the color temperature and brightness easily and cheaply while not opening a big security hole has been awesome.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

This is definitely more of a targeted recommendation for the fellow computer-glued such as myself, but these macro boards are absolutely game-changing:

Sure you can just rig everything up to AutoHotKey but with these you get a dedicated button with visual state indication. There are tons of plugins for different things like Twitch or Excel, it's extremely easy to program + pick art for, and they're really attractive to look at to boot.

I have two, one is showing me all the important temperatures and statuses of my PC + LAN. It also shows audio levels and which of my audio devices is selected as the active output/input.

The other one has a bunch of shortcuts to things like opening windows to specific places on my monitors, controlling smart lights, shortcuts like locking the mouse to the primary monitor for some games, and a shortcut to the windows 'snippit' tool for easy screenshotting.

My girlfriend uses one mostly for excel / word macros + shortcuts, but also as a quick way to manage copying and pasting multiple items.

They're expensive and unnecessary but I use it every day and would never look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Oh also I use it to annoy people with Voicemod. It works really well for audio/video mixing purposes like streaming with OBS. That's why I originally bought it.