Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Gramma tech: I'm too cheap/broke to buy internet light bulbs, I'm a renter and can't install dimmers (which also cost more than I'm willing to spend), and I have various lamps for lighting, so... lamp timers that gradually turn the lights off, one by one, from 8pm-10pm.

Also I keep a rubik's cube on my desk for fidgeting. It's an excuse to stand up from work or momentarily break eye contact with someone who is talking too much. I get a little brain chemical bump from solving it and use the momentum to get back to work. While you were messing with overpriced spinners and widgets, I was mastering the cube.

A (functional) bluetooth earpiece, it's cheap and less obvious that I'm listening to podcasts at work, keeps one ear open for co-workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Library. Haven't bought a book in a real long time, and my county ships books to my nearest branch for free, through a website or app. Audiobooks, lecture series, magazines, movies, all streaming for free (though with a more limited selection than for-pay options). Chill there and get some work done without having to pay for a cup of coffee, and use the free wifi. Hell, borrow a laptop while you're at it. And yes, I'm lame enough to borrow DVDs and CDs too.

My local branch has a seed catalog and last time I went in, they had a bunch of plant clippings scattered on a table for whoever wanted them. Free kids events, which I used all the time before my kid could go to preschool, and I needed a dang breather.

I know it's a boring thing to say, but goddamn I love libraries. Sure, parts of it are like a daycare center with screaming kids, but that's what headphones are for.

Teachers, nurses, and librarians are the best kinds of people and I wish they ran the whole dang world instead of the bozos currently in charge.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wrap a hair elastic thing around where my keys touch the key ring. It keeps them together so they don't jingle, and I can fan them out when I unlock things and they just fold themselves back together when I'm done.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Electric air dusters to replace those compressed air cans, which are now up to $10 a can. I got this one and I love it. For the price of a few cans you get unlimited compressed air. The different head attachments make it useful for more than just electronics too.

Looking at this I realize I have an inflatable bed air pump that, while somewhat more awkward, can accomplish the same thing. Thanks, I'll never buy cans again!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

jesus, am i still high and playing hypnospace right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm a) cheap and b) think disposable electronics are bad and evil, plus c) have a kid who likes toys, so if I have a choice at all, I'll get something with replaceable batteries, and use rechargeable NiMH batteries with them. A good set of Panasonic Eneloops have a moderate up-front cost, but last a really long time.

On my desk right now, the mouse, keyboard, wireless touchpad, flashlight, digital camera, voice recorder, radio, and (yes) desk clock all use rechargeables. The clock is an old Micronta from Radio Shack that runs for two months on a AA, and I love it for being old and redundant, like I am. The camera is a Canon and uses its own special battery, but it's replaceable.

Things on my desk that will die when the battery eventually dies: phone, 8bitdo game controller, bluetooth speaker. The speaker (an ancient Logitech) has been around for over a decade, to my surprise.

e: I guess I'd say that some aged single tasking items can sometimes be life-enhancing. My phone provides all the news and podcasts that I want, but a radio isn't just good for emergencies, sometimes it's good for just tuning into news or music from a different bubble, or even oddball church stuff from two cities over. It's just nice to sometimes have stuff that only does one thing, and does it well.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 19, 2023