Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Good wireless headphones. I started using wireless headphones back in the early 2000s when bluetooth wasn't widespread yet, and I had some pair of headphones that sounded pretty good and connected via a little USB port with an antenna - definitely not bluetooth standard but close enough. I switched over to bluetooth shortly after that. I buy relatively cheap over-the-ear bluetooth headphones that give good quality sound when I'm doing anything active, and I have a pair of HyperX Cloud over-the-head headphones that have a detachable mic and can also be plugged in with a cord, giving me all of the flexibility on the quality/convenience scale

I've driven a couple of vehicles that are completely "keyless", I don't want to ever take my car key (electronic or otherwise) out of my pocket again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A silicone popcorn popper. It's just a silicone bowl with a silicone lid

1. Add some kernels. Nothing else is required
2. Put lid on
3. Microwave

I think I have a Lekue, it was like $20. Perfect popcorn every time, massive upgrade over air popping, microwave bags, or making it on the stove. You can add stuff prior to popping if you want to get fancy but I just nebulize some olive oil and salt on after it's in the bowl. Probably also won't give you horrible cancer like the poo poo in the microwave bags probably does

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 17, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No. 6 posted:

I like having the ability to control the engine and steering lock through traditional means. Don't want that push button stuff.

Push buttons in EVs are dumb since there's nothing to ignite. I like cars that turn on when you sit down and turn off when you get out

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I used to have a wireless mouse that needed a charging cable, switched to batteries and never looked back. This is the main thing that turned me off from the MX Vertical, I prefer swapping out the batteries

Life enhancing object: good rechargeable batteries and a good intelligent charger, not a dumb one. We bought some Eneloop batteries, they last a very long time

And you can also buy the same batteries but with a good charger

The version with the charger cost $25. The charger supports AA and AAA, we bought some AAA Eneloops later. Supremely good purchase

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wendigee posted:

I found bone conducting headphones to be life changing.

idk how I feel about putting headphones on my dick but I'm glad that you enjoy it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cosmic Web posted:

Standby drain adds to your power bill, and manually turning off the peripherals on a PC/Home system sucks, so get an automatic main-follow power strip.
Once it registers that you've turned off the power of the device that is connected to your main plug (your PC or TV), your monitors and other peripherals connected to the follower plugs will be cut off from power automatically.

our power company gave away a bunch of this kind of power strip, it was awesome

it's perfect for something like a TV that has a bunch of peripherals, and they always come with multiple "always on" ports.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Learning how to type quickly was a pretty huge boost to quality of life, I forget that most people don't know how to type quickly and get surprised when someone is like "wow you type so fast!"

I know a guy who types so fast that it looks/sounds like he just slammed his hands on the keyboard but out came a perfectly formed sentence. You don't have to type that fast but >100 wpm is pretty nice and not hard to reach, especially if you're 13 and spending all day on aol instant messenger

e: I guess "typing fast" isn't an object, sorry thread

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coolguye posted:

the one that i will go to is a Big Investment but it's definitely something i feel like everyone overlooks, and that's a modern bed. by which i mean a sleep number or one of its auto-adjustable knockoffs.

I resisted getting one for years because, obviously, they are expensive (thousands of dollars), and i already slept well. i have a very positive relationship with sleep after my childhood of suffering under weekly night terrors (not nightMARES), so after getting those behind me i always looked forward to sleep and rested very well, all things considered.

a modern adjustable bed is a massive gamechanger even for someone who is already sleeping 'well'. having something just automatically handle basic sleep hygiene stuff like keeping support correct, warming your feet slightly, and ensuring appropriate head/neck tilt. the overall quality of my rest is easily up 50% since i got this thing a year ago and it's almost a superpower. i can fall asleep much more reliably, and when i wake up after 7-8 hours, i'm consistently refreshed and energized. i haven't even had a sick day since i bought it because every time i start feeling under the weather, resting actually works to fend off whatever i'm fighting. on the days i need to nap because i did not sleep well for whatever reason, napping in my bed makes me so calm and chilled out that i basically feel like i popped a valium, only it lasts for hours.

yes, it was expensive, but you spend literally a third of your life in bed. getting more out of that time is a massive win for basic, fundamental health.

what kind of bed did you get?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

We have one of these in my kitchen. What do I do with it?

You put coffee grounds in it and leave them to soak in water overnight, then you throw the grounds away.

We bought a mason dispenser for ours, like this one:

The filter fits nicely on the rim, so you just throw the whole thing into the fridge with the filter + coffee grounds, then you remove the filter the next day, dump the grounds out, and rinse the thing clean. Super easy. 12 hours is fine, longer for more flavor

You want to use coarsely-ground beans, if they're ground too fine then they'll seep through the filter and your coffee will suck.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I was shopping for a range earlier this year; getting a range with convection and air fryer features was a difference of like $20 vs one without those features. One of the salespeople I talked to conceded that air frying with a range isn't really like a dedicated countertop air fryer but I wanted convection (because it helps a lot with achieving temperature uniformity), so we got the air fryer feature too. It works fine

Here's a life enhancing object if you like baking: get an oven thermometer. Your oven's built-in thermometer probably sucks rear end

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

Anybody have experience with one of those invection ovens where the burners are magnetic or something? My wife is interested in one so I'm curious if anyone has first hand experience

Induction stoves are great, pretty much their only downside is that they cost more than a normal electric stove - and even more if you need to buy a bunch of new cookware. I used to have one in an apartment, it was pretty awesome

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A working toilet is pretty life-enhancing imo, not sure how all of those medieval peasants got by

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Anyone have any life-enhancing objects to deal with dog turds in the yard? That would probably be the biggest life-changing thing for me right now saving me 1-2 hours playing turd hunt with a shovel each week. We own the shittingest dog I've ever seen. I should be thankful he's always regular, but Jesus Christ.

Yeah hire someone else to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Life enhancing objects: eneloop rechargeable batteries

The eneloops last as long as duracells ime so why would i ever buy duracells again