Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
thinking about the new age outlaws and the absolute dire of the state of their previous gimmicks had me wondering about the greater history at large of wrestling gimmick changes and the biggest improvements and downgrades in gimmick-to-gimmick changes in recorded rasslin history.

conditions:

a "gimmick change" here being a massive reworking of a wrestler's character, ideally involving a change in ring name and attire, but not necessarily included. for instance, i wouldn't really count chris jericho's character refreshes as a "gimmick change" for these purposes, but i would consider perry saturn's moppy arc.

a lot of the first examples that pop to mind for me personally for biggest improvement in gimmick are attitude era changes, like the new age outlaws or, of course, rocky maivia to the rock and "the ringmaster" to goddamn stone cold steve austin. those two seem like the unbeatable 1a 1b in this discussion but i would love to know about your favorite - or least favorite - gimmick changes of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
La Résistance changing from being French to French-Canadian happened so easily, I'm amazed it didn't happen earlier.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in the late 80s through about 1992, the barbarian was relatively popular as a foil or scary guy for an underdog to face. then they made him a lovely headshrinker in like 1993 or 94. then he had to go to wcw as a ripoff of that lovely gimmick until he finally got to go back to being the barbarian for no reason, tagging with meng. why didn't he just go to wcw as the barbarian to start with. and that's the bottom line

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Giant Scary Biker "One Man Gang" to white guy finds his African roots "Akeem" was pointless, at best.

Eric Bischoff hanger-on "Johnny Nitro" to Jim Morrison wannabe "John Morrison" had potential.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Giant Scary Biker "One Man Gang" to white guy finds his African roots "Akeem" was pointless, at best.

Eric Bischoff hanger-on "Johnny Nitro" to Jim Morrison wannabe "John Morrison" had potential.

his character has never shifted far from "hot guy who does flips" and by god why should it ever, but i do have to say the latter day version where he's just "johnny [relevant word here]" on a week to week basis tickles me. he shows up one week, he's Johnny TV? sure, why the hell not man

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Brodus Clay's pre-emptive character change from 'Big Mean Scary Guy' to 'Funk Guy' gave him a boost of popularity he never would have achieved on his own. But he couldn't capitalize on it because he is terrible.

It's super recent obviously but Toni Storm going from 'angry vet acting out like a teenager' to 'insane hollywood starlet' took somebody I didn't really care about and made them compelling.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 15, 2023

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
face big show to heel big show and vice versa

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Naito going from trying to be Tanahashi mixed with Mutoh to ungovernable sure is up there for biggest improvement in a gimmick. Guy went from crowds hating him to being loved

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Naito going from trying to be Tanahashi mixed with Mutoh to ungovernable sure is up there for biggest improvement in a gimmick. Guy went from crowds hating him to being loved

i started watching njpw not long after naito was ungovernable, i think when he was beating up the ic title and was still kinda heel, but plenty liked him by that point. learning the backstory just knowing *that* naito was like, i had to go back to watch it to believe it, i couldnt imagine the crowd just not caring about the dude to the point of the heavyweight title not main eventing wk bc he was in the match. i mean hell tho, i liked nakamura way better than "the stardust genius" too so who am i to judge

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Wasn't Nakamura a generic black-tights Inokism guy before he became King of Strong Style?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hulk Hogan to Hollywood Hogan was pro wrestling's greatest swerve and reversed WCW's fortunes for 2 years after.

WWE deciding they drained the well with the Hurricane and had him turn back into Shane Helms was...well it was justifiable in one sense but it was so DoA they might as well have just continued to squeeze water from a stone.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Isaac Yankem to Kane is about as big an upgrade as it gets

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Rarity posted:

Isaac Yankem to Fake Diesel to Kane is about as big an upgrade as it gets

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

scott steiners transformation from flippy giant to insane guy with chainmail hat will always be the goat

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

apparently Orange Cassidy used to be Fire Ant, and if so, he went from being one of the greatest high flying wrestlers in the US to a goddamn sloth, and it rules

also, I can't let this pass without mentioning Sami Zayn's old gimmick. It's problematic as gently caress, frankly quite racist, but we should mention it anyway.

That's right, I'm talking about Big Larry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB8rH5fXxTk

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
There's a lot of wrestler-redefining gimmick changes in the early days of the WWF, but the most extreme change may be the Sheepherders (two brutes from New Zealand who will casually murder you) becoming the Bushwackers (two tongue weirdos that the kids all love). I'm sure a lot of it is that doing a funny walk is easier than murdering people, but they really did decide that this is just what they're going to do forever now.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Konor O'Brian going from a guy thinking he's a rat or something in NXT to an Illuminati grunt with Viktor. God the first iteration of NXT as a gameshow was horrific.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Barry Darsow’s transition from Demolition Smash to The Repo Man

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I don't think it's my favorite or least favorite or anything, but Bear Country (two big hairy dudes) becoming the Iron Savages (whatever their gimmick was) and then still being the Iron Savages with Jacked Jameson and being on questionable supplements and one very loudly and openly being into eating rear end has been fun.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Luke Gallows was Festus, a simple-minded guy who would flip out when he heard the ring bell ring. They dropped this, eventually, by turning him into Luke Gallows and explaining that his former gimmick was actually a result of RAMPANT DRUG USE, and that joining the Straight Edge Society finally got him clean. I think maybe they even said that his former tag team partner was drugging him?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Does anyone remember A-Train leaving to go to Japan and then coming back as Lord Tensai? That was pretty awesome. He beat John Cena!!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

surfer sting to crow sting was absolutely enormous for the wcw crowd and for the era

Paper Lion posted:

scott steiners transformation from flippy giant to insane guy with chainmail hat will always be the goat

yeah, steiner going from legit talented to chainmail math whiz is something I would've never guessed.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Ben-K used to be a meathead jock Shingo-wannabe, then he watched a bunch of battle rap videos on Youtube and decided to change his gimmick into the "Chiki-Chiki Sensei", a weird battle rap hypeman. It's the best career decision he ever made.

I don't even understand what he's ranting about most of the time, but his presentation cracks me up every single time he cuts a promo because his mannerisms are hilarious.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

A Fancy Hat posted:

Luke Gallows was Festus, a simple-minded guy who would flip out when he heard the ring bell ring. They dropped this, eventually, by turning him into Luke Gallows and explaining that his former gimmick was actually a result of RAMPANT DRUG USE, and that joining the Straight Edge Society finally got him clean. I think maybe they even said that his former tag team partner was drugging him?

He was somehow a better wrestler as Festus, they should have drugged him again!

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I can't think of many gimmick changes that went over better than Husky Harris -> Bray Wyatt. (RIP) Going from a generic big guy wrestler with a ferrari engine to the charismatic cult leader that had people wondering if he actually /was/ possessed.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

How often do you think about Chainsaw Charlie? I’m thinking about him right now. What was up with that guy??

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Sandman McMahon posted:

How often do you think about Chainsaw Charlie? I’m thinking about him right now. What was up with that guy??

he lives in the dumpster out back of every wwe show, the new age outlaws thought they kilt him in it but he lives on in there and the dumpster materializes outside the arena at every wwe show forever

forever

forEVER

FOREVER
FOREVER
FOREVER

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

shiksa posted:

he lives in the dumpster out back of every wwe show, the new age outlaws thought they kilt him in it but he lives on in there and the dumpster materializes outside the arena at every wwe show forever

forever

forEVER

FOREVER
FOREVER
FOREVER

I wonder if they tell scary stories about him to keep the kids in nxt from misbehaving.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Sandman McMahon posted:

I wonder if they tell scary stories about him to keep the kids in nxt from misbehaving.

between him and the parking lot ninjas no ones getting a wink in the performance center, just coming in and doing high impact knee exercises on zero sleep

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Barry Darsow’s transition from Demolition Smash to The Repo Man

And he was a Russian before that!

Raven going from his various neon-tights chickenshit heel gimmicks to a depressed grungy sadist did a lot for him and wrestling in general.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

CombineThresher posted:

Raven going from his various neon-tights chickenshit heel gimmicks to a depressed grungy sadist did a lot for him and wrestling in general.

Someone should adapt this gimmick for modern times. Like, take the Dark Order guys, drop the whole Dark Order thing, and then have them dress up like whatever musical culture the kids are into these days. Do kids still listen to music?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Chainsaw Charlie and Mankind were like the two wrestlers I knew about before I knew anything about wrestling. Dunno why

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

A Fancy Hat posted:

Slam Master J was a monster and I will never miss an opportunity to point it out.

That's a pretty recurring lovely gimmick they keep trying BTW. Midcard white guy inexplicably gets really into Hip Hop, which screams at me that Vince just thinks that particular thing is hilarious. Shorty G is the most recent example, Akeem could be seen as the proto version of it.

I guess it worked with Too Cool, technically? But they were originally heels with the gimmick who kind of organically turned face. The original switch from Too Much -> Too Cool was them being incredibly obnoxious about it. The Worm was meant to be so loving stupid that you laugh at the guy for even trying to do it, and it effectively then became his Finisher. I remember the meme that Scotty just basically had the world's most powerful bulldog for people to stay down that long.

John Cena is technically this too, but again, he started off as a heel who organically turned face? I don't know. That's the common thread to making it work? It's still a weird thing that keeps happening.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

NameHurtBrain posted:

I guess it worked with Too Cool, technically? But they were originally heels with the gimmick who kind of organically turned face. The original switch from Too Much -> Too Cool was them being incredibly obnoxious about it. The Worm was meant to be so loving stupid that you laugh at the guy for even trying to do it, and it effectively then became his Finisher. I remember the meme that Scotty just basically had the world's most powerful bulldog for people to stay down that long.

Rikishi was key to the gimmick getting over as much as it did, though, IIRC they were very much lower-card players both before and after his involvement.

Speaking of, Rikishi's transition from "dancing fat guy who gives stinkfaces" to "cold-blooded vehicular homicide attempter" did him no favors. Though it obviously would've gone better had the Austin squash not killed his momentum right out of the gate, the main event scene at that time was so crowded that there was no way he'd ever get the high-profile wins necessary to make the shift in character successful.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Broken matt hardy was the goddamn best

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Rikishi was key to the gimmick getting over as much as it did, though, IIRC they were very much lower-card players both before and after his involvement.

Speaking of, Rikishi's transition from "dancing fat guy who gives stinkfaces" to "cold-blooded vehicular homicide attempter" did him no favors. Though it obviously would've gone better had the Austin squash not killed his momentum right out of the gate, the main event scene at that time was so crowded that there was no way he'd ever get the high-profile wins necessary to make the shift in character successful.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Putting on a purple hat made me like Jake Hager and that should count as a gimmick change

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Sandman McMahon posted:

Someone should adapt this gimmick for modern times. Like, take the Dark Order guys, drop the whole Dark Order thing, and then have them dress up like whatever musical culture the kids are into these days. Do kids still listen to music?

jncos and crop tops is kind of the thing rn, i think they could pull it off

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Ed Leslie gimmicks:

Eddie Boulder > Eddie "Dizzy" Hogan > Brute Force > Baron Beefcake > Brutus Beefcake > Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake > The Mystery Man > Brother Bruti > The Clipmaster > The Butcher > The Man With No Name > The Zodiac > The Booty Man > The Disciple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Sandman went from a surfer gimmick who carried a literal surfboard around (in fact that's why his name was "Sandman" in the first place) to the drunken chainsmoking Philly brawler that we all remember today.