Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Fentry posted:

Ed Leslie gimmicks:

Eddie Boulder > Eddie "Dizzy" Hogan > Brute Force > Baron Beefcake > Brutus Beefcake > Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake > The Mystery Man > Brother Bruti > The Clipmaster > The Butcher > The Man With No Name > The Zodiac > The Booty Man > The Disciple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7OPKZLrOTs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Benne posted:

The Sandman went from a surfer gimmick who carried a literal surfboard around (in fact that's why his name was "Sandman" in the first place) to the drunken chainsmoking Philly brawler that we all remember today.

okay i did not know that at all, thats fuckin hilarious. im looking up pics he looks like dollar store surfer sting that rocks

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

shiksa posted:

jncos and crop tops is kind of the thing rn, i think they could pull it off

Ruby and Britt would haul them into wrestler's court for gimmick infringement.

shiksa posted:

okay i did not know that at all, thats fuckin hilarious. im looking up pics he looks like dollar store surfer sting that rocks

ECW had many cases of this. Taz going from a barefoot crazy man who didn't talk to a kinda-MMA shooter badass who did is one example, and Balls Mahoney had a gentle simpleton gimmick in SMW.

CombineThresher fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 19, 2023

bartok
May 10, 2006

When I lived in Cincinnati in the early 2000s OVW was televised and you'd see all sorts of weird gimmick changes when the wrestlers would "graduate" to WWE. The funniest was Russian MMA badass Boris Alexiev becoming Italian goofball Santino Marella.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Roddy Piper: That's Toooooony Atlas! That's Tony Atlas, what are you even doing, you look like a fool

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
FCW-era "rear end in a top hat wearing a suit" Roman Reigns

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

CombineThresher posted:

ECW had many cases of this. Taz going from a barefoot crazy man who didn't talk to a kinda-MMA shooter badass who did is one example, and Balls Mahoney had a gentle simpleton gimmick in SMW.

was... was his name still "balls mahoney" at the time as well

speaking of ecw gimmick evolutions, they never really strayed *too* far on the basics but the early dudley stuff is so weird and kind of bad its incredible that Bubba and d-von ended up being one of the hottest acts on earth for a bit

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Venomous posted:

apparently Orange Cassidy used to be Fire Ant, and if so, he went from being one of the greatest high flying wrestlers in the US to a goddamn sloth, and it rules

That was kind of the point, he actually wrestled on the same card as both characters several times, and few people caught on because the styles are so different.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

shiksa posted:

speaking of ecw gimmick evolutions, they never really strayed *too* far on the basics but the early dudley stuff is so weird and kind of bad its incredible that Bubba and d-von ended up being one of the hottest acts on earth for a bit

wow, can't believe this sign guy dudley slander

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

DeathChicken posted:

Roddy Piper: That's Toooooony Atlas! That's Tony Atlas, what are you even doing, you look like a fool

Given that Atlas vanished from TV after that I wonder if Piper did him a favor or ruined his career.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

shiksa posted:

No, it was Boo Bradley, a take off of the character from To Kill A Mockingbird, Boo Radley.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Rusty Shackelford posted:

No, it was Boo Bradley, a take off of the character from To Kill A Mockingbird, Boo Radley.

that checks out, yeah

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's hard to think of a guy who got luckier than Glenn Jacobs

his first gimmick was an all time loving stinker at the end of Cornball Era of wrestling, then he gets wrapped up in being Fake Diesel, a complete joke, and then finally lands as Kane and has a 20 year career with a lot of legit highlights as a 'big man', which is pretty hard to do well and sustain in wrestling

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
At least Fake Diesel was kind of ironically fun, he committed to the Nash impression and even did his moves decent enough. Poor Rick Bognar was doomed because he looked absolutely nothing like Scott Hall.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I would say Jacobs looks nothing like Nash too, tbh. It's really weird how haphazard the whole thing was, a naked 'NO NO THIS IS STILL OUR IP' grab.

A darker pro wrestling world would be one where they actually got over, and that you could just flat recast gimmicks. We'd probably be on Hulk Hogan VI, Vince having even less incentive to ever innovate or try anything new.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

bartok posted:

When I lived in Cincinnati in the early 2000s OVW was televised and you'd see all sorts of weird gimmick changes when the wrestlers would "graduate" to WWE. The funniest was Russian MMA badass Boris Alexiev becoming Italian goofball Santino Marella.

https://youtu.be/wZMrOV22rRc?si=cSVtY_7HzutwWfdA

I totally forgot about this gimmick, loving :lol:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

NameHurtBrain posted:

I would say Jacobs looks nothing like Nash too, tbh. It's really weird how haphazard the whole thing was, a naked 'NO NO THIS IS STILL OUR IP' grab.

A darker pro wrestling world would be one where they actually got over, and that you could just flat recast gimmicks. We'd probably be on Hulk Hogan VI, Vince having even less incentive to ever innovate or try anything new.

Didn't help that the whole angle was just a way to push heel JR, who the fans didn't want to boo anyway. It was all dreadful TV even if you put aside the more malicious motivations.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

NameHurtBrain posted:

Honestly, wrestling would be so much better if

Roman Reigns = The Undertaker
Cody Rhodes = Hulk Hogan
Seth Rollins = Macho Man
Brock Lesnar = Ultimate Warrior
Dominic Mysterio = Sting

LA Knight is still LA Knight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Mexico does the same thing a lot. Except in Mexico masks are involved so it's far less jarring.