Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

A Fancy Hat posted:

Luke Gallows was Festus, a simple-minded guy who would flip out when he heard the ring bell ring. They dropped this, eventually, by turning him into Luke Gallows and explaining that his former gimmick was actually a result of RAMPANT DRUG USE, and that joining the Straight Edge Society finally got him clean. I think maybe they even said that his former tag team partner was drugging him?

Slam Master J was a monster and I will never miss an opportunity to point it out.

That's a pretty recurring lovely gimmick they keep trying BTW. Midcard white guy inexplicably gets really into Hip Hop, which screams at me that Vince just thinks that particular thing is hilarious. Shorty G is the most recent example, Akeem could be seen as the proto version of it.

I guess it worked with Too Cool, technically? But they were originally heels with the gimmick who kind of organically turned face. The original switch from Too Much -> Too Cool was them being incredibly obnoxious about it. The Worm was meant to be so loving stupid that you laugh at the guy for even trying to do it, and it effectively then became his Finisher. I remember the meme that Scotty just basically had the world's most powerful bulldog for people to stay down that long.

John Cena is technically this too, but again, he started off as a heel who organically turned face? I don't know. That's the common thread to making it work? It's still a weird thing that keeps happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I would say Jacobs looks nothing like Nash too, tbh. It's really weird how haphazard the whole thing was, a naked 'NO NO THIS IS STILL OUR IP' grab.

A darker pro wrestling world would be one where they actually got over, and that you could just flat recast gimmicks. We'd probably be on Hulk Hogan VI, Vince having even less incentive to ever innovate or try anything new.