Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

A foldable might replace my iPad and my Kindle. That's reason enough to keep an eye on them. Still waiting to see how they hold up over the years though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Bottom Liner posted:

I 1000% see the appeal, I just don't think the designs are there yet.

Questions about longevity aside. I think the designs are fine, they're just too expensive.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I really think the way forward is the rolling design, but I'm not sure if that'll last long either

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rap Game Goku posted:

Questions about longevity aside. I think the designs are fine, they're just too expensive.

Yeah when I said designs I meant durability, tech, etc. The sizes and aspect ratios and all are pretty good.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I love the poo poo out of the fold 5. It didn't think I would love it so much but having a small tablet is a massive improvement for reading and consuming other content. I took a bunch of flights last week and it was the perfect all in one companion where before I'd have probably at least taken a seperate tablet with me. The phone form factor is a little clunky but in tablet mode it feels slim and nice. I just hope it lasts at least 3 years without the foldy bit loving up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

so was there no September pixel update?!

crotchgobbler
Jul 25, 2007

im an 07 lol
I have a quick question for people in the thread. Does anyone create a lot of video with their Samsung device? I used to have a Note10+ and it worked fine. I upgraded to a S21U and noticed right away that any time I recorded in 4K (30 or 60fps) nearly every video would drop frames. This would usually occur in the first 1-3 seconds. After that, it would be solid unless it got hot, received a notification, was in a low service area, etc. I would just try to get around this by recording only in airplane mode which was annoying, but fine. I then upgraded to a S23U hoping the issue would be fixed but it's still there! I found I can reduce it from happening if I basically turn off HEVC mode, but it's incredibly frustrating to me that I basically need to handicap the phone to use what is a core(?) function. My wife has an iPhone and while it isn't perfect, I've never seen any issue with her videos. I'm just curious if anyone has experienced the same because I'm almost ready to just jump ship at this point.

Edit: Just so everyone can see, this is an example. I need to stress this isn't a one time thing, it's almost every video! https://youtu.be/WuHNjJ3kl88?si=1cu6KreiBF703P5B

crotchgobbler fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 16, 2023

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm still on August but I was assuming it was because of the usual TMO delay.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

The curious thing is, the quarterly beta starts Monday. So I think they wanted 14 out by now instead of just a September update.

I wonder if we'll get a surprise stable release Monday.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
enjoying the hell out of lineageOS on p6p. shits dank.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
To add to the OP: some of the Chinese manufacturers like Xaoimi and Huawei won't ship with the Play Store installed.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

To add to the OP: some of the Chinese manufacturers like Xaoimi and Huawei won't ship with the Play Store installed.
My EU xiaomi phone sure did, so the statement would need to be a little more specific to not be a lie. Enough other reasons not to buy one though.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Xiaomi phones definitely ship with play store. Source my Mum's Mi 11 Lite

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Can't even get Huawei in the US

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I must have been mistaken. For shame!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It may well be a thing with direct imports from China or something, I honestly don't know, but then it needs that qualifier.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It's definitely A Thing when it comes to cheap Chinese TV boxes and tablets where the point of differentiation often becomes 'netflix DRM license support level' and if it ships with the play store still but I don't feel like it's been a thing in phones sold in Western countries for a while. Otoh buying a Chinese phone seems like something you'd really only do if you're trying to save a few bucks and still be close to flagship hardware.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Chinese phones used to be a way to get high end specs for mid range prices plus whatever you value a warranty at. (For those countries that don't get ridiculous trade in deals, for regular users not overly concerned with camera quality.)

However, that seems to not really be the case anymore as Chinese phones are getting more expensive, and mid range hardware is really really good now so flagship hardware is less desirable.

Right now the only real reason I see to import a Chinese phone to the west is for the gimmicky stuff (like the gaming phones with air triggers) or for the foldables if you don't like either the Samsung or Pixel.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I have a problem with a samsung tab A 10.5" declaring the charging port is moist/dirty whenever power is applied by usb-c and blaring an alarm while refusing to charge

Have cleaned out the port really well several times with contact cleaner/toothpicks, and left it in a plastic bag in a sunny spot with lots of silica gel for a few days so I'm fairly sure the port is clean and dry enough, and I have tried multiple cables and chargers out all with the same effect

looking around it seems to be a software issue with samsungs and the main fix is clearing the usb cache, but this version of Android (11 I think, it's turned off to save what battery is left) doesn't allow for that, and there's no further updates available

tried going into the recovery menu and clearing the main cache that way, still no luck

any ideas?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

I have a problem with a samsung tab A 10.5" declaring the charging port is moist/dirty whenever power is applied by usb-c and blaring an alarm while refusing to charge

Have cleaned out the port really well several times with contact cleaner/toothpicks, and left it in a plastic bag in a sunny spot with lots of silica gel for a few days so I'm fairly sure the port is clean and dry enough, and I have tried multiple cables and chargers out all with the same effect

looking around it seems to be a software issue with samsungs and the main fix is clearing the usb cache, but this version of Android (11 I think, it's turned off to save what battery is left) doesn't allow for that, and there's no further updates available

tried going into the recovery menu and clearing the main cache that way, still no luck

any ideas?

It happens to my Tab A7 2020 model and I use a magnetic plug. I just either reboot ir charge it turned off to avoid that issue completely.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Guillermus posted:

It happens to my Tab A7 2020 model and I use a magnetic plug. I just either reboot ir charge it turned off to avoid that issue completely.

when I charge with it powered off it shows a charging logo with a exclamation mark and a water symbol, rebooting does nothing

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

when I charge with it powered off it shows a charging logo with a exclamation mark and a water symbol, rebooting does nothing

I read that you tried different cables/chargers too so it looks like a hosed port at this point.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Right now the only real reason I see to import a Chinese phone to the west is for the gimmicky stuff (like the gaming phones with air triggers) or for the foldables if you don't like either the Samsung or Pixel.

What are air triggers?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What are air triggers?

The touch/pressure sensitive trigger (ie shoulder buttons) on the top edge of the phone when in landscape mode playing games. Most of the gimmicky gaming phones out of China have functionality like this which you're not really going to get on a phone released in the west outside of Asus. You can see it on the Red Magic 8 Pro here for example: https://www.gsmarena.com/nubia_red_magic_8_pro-review-2520p2.php

"AirTrigger" itself is the Asus branded name for their triggers on the cooler attachment to their ROG phone series, but in my mind it just has come to refer to any phones with shoulder buttons meant for gaming or dedicated buttons meant to replicate triggers / shoulder buttons on controllers. Edit: Seems the once also referred to shoulder buttons as well, so basically the Asus coined term: https://rog.asus.com/articles/smartphones/announcing-the-rog-phone-changing-the-game-for-mobile/

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 19, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Got the September patch today.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mental Hospitality posted:

That prompted me to check again, and sure enough it was waiting for me, too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

Sweet me too now!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

:same:
I just assumed it was scrapped in favour of waiting for Android 14.

Interesting: normally the Pixel security updates are labelled as the 5th of the month; this month's is 1st September.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 19, 2023

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The Zenphone 10 battery life is insane... I'm at 64% after a full day of use. :stare:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

smoobles posted:

The Zenphone 10 battery life is insane... I'm at 64% after a full day of use. :stare:

I've noticed my Snapdragon 8 Gen2 OnePlus 11 also gets pretty stellar battery life, at least compared to my Pixel 7 Pro. It seems like a really good chip and it probably helps that the Zenfone is running a smaller 1080p display instead of QHD.

I really hope the G3 in the Pixel 8 comes close in terms of efficiency, or they use a less power hungry display.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

smoobles posted:

How are you liking the zenfone in general? I'm about done with my Pixel 7a because of the lovely battery life and the asus phones all seem to be really good options specs-wise as potential replacements.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

HelixFox posted:

How are you liking the zenfone in general? I'm about done with my Pixel 7a because of the lovely battery life and the asus phones all seem to be really good options specs-wise as potential replacements.

It's great so far. Got it running stock, and arranged stuff to feel like a Pixel. Everything feels and looks the same.

I went from a 5 to this, coming from a 7A it might feel tiny at first.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
godDAMN I'm so tired of this stupid loving super slick phone backs.

I usually have a case on my phone (Pixel7) but took it off to put it in a tripod for something I was doing for a friend. Then I was in the bathroom and set it on a counter. Set it on a loving ceramic top counter and it goddamn repelled the phone like a loving magnet. Just slid right off like a lovely hoverboard. Smashed the corner on the tile bathroom floor.

Godfuckingdamnit do they not test this poo poo? It's the worst.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

BonoMan posted:

I usually have a case on my phone (Pixel7) but took it off to put it in a tripod for something I was doing for a friend. Then I was in the bathroom and set it on a counter. Set it on a loving ceramic top counter and it goddamn repelled the phone like a loving magnet. Just slid right off like a lovely hoverboard. Smashed the corner on the tile bathroom floor.

This is your fault.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

BonoMan posted:

i test it every day by setting my caseless phone on flat surfaces. works on my machine!

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Has anybody else got the Pixel 7a? I'm thinking of replacing my 3a as the battery is terrible these days, and it is starting to struggle performance-wise. I think I might have to bite the bullet and get over the fact they aren't bringing back the rear fingerprint sensor or headphone jack. Currently got a 15% Local Guide discount I can apply as well.

BonoMan posted:

Goondolances. I cracked my Nexus 4 in a similar way - after the plastic protector finally came loose and I removed it, a week later it slid off the top of a book on my PC tower, onto a tile floor. The back of that thing was so pretty :cry:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they actually did a small revision to the nexus 4 to add small bumps around the edge of the back to give it more grip when placed flat, but we've apparently unlearned that lesson

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Android Thread:

withoutclass posted:

This is your fault.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Not quite sure if this goes here, but

For about a week now all incoming calls to my mobile (Moto G9+, Android 11) immediately go to a recording, stating I'm temporarily not available and I will get a short message about this missed call. I am receiving those short messages, so at least I know somebody tried to call me.

I can however do outbound calls and mobile data is also working fine and at full speeds.

First, this is a german carrier so I don't know if and how exactly this translates to other countries.

I don't have DnD turned on, no airplane mode, I don't have any call forwarding set up (and I have reset all potential forwards via MMI code), I don't have any blocked numbers using weird wildcards, I have of course turned the device off and on again multiple times.

I tried the SIM card in another (even older phone) and curiously enough, I can receive calls there.

I reseated the SIM card multiple times, I checked the SIM card settings in Android (and soft turned the card on and off there as well).

My provider is currently in the stage of sending me default canned tech support mails for "bad reception", but since the SIM works fine in one phone and not in the other, I presume eventually they will blame it on my phone and stop caring.

I will have access to another sim card on the weekend to swap that in for testing.

So, is there any scenario where an android phone would be able to make outgoing calls and have full mobile data access but be "invisible" for incoming calls and send them to a carrier voicemail?

Anything I should be looking into on my end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Carpet posted:

Has anybody else got the Pixel 7a?

Yes, had it since launch more or less. It's great. I was impressed looking at the Zenphone 10 that was mentioned earlier in the thread, but really the reason you get the Pixel line is you KNOW the software and software support is going to be solid. Which, since the hardware has flattened so much, is the main thing to care about these days it seems.

Maybe foldables becoming truly mainstream will change that and hardware will again matter.