Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, there's no way in hell that Samsung is uploading and monetizing all your SMS and haven't been sued into oblivion. I'm not a fan of ab lot of what Samsung software does, but I'm going to have to see a real source on that.

Regardless, if you don't want to sign into a Samsung account, don't buy a Samsung phone. You need an account to get updates from the Galaxy Store from what I remember, so if you aren't logged in, a whole lot of core device services aren't going to get updated.

https://privacy.samsung.com/

Log in and see what they have collected from your phone, and what third parties have been getting access to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://youtu.be/uvwIkGJ6Mes?si=vZWf9hoQMj9HOT3n

"First look" at Pixel 9 phones. They look like the renders we've already seen but they can't be legitimate handsets for a variety of reasons. Just not sure how they made the video look like they have actual devices.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Wait is it confirmed we're finally getting Android air tags?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I installed the WhatsApp beta from an .apk and it mercifully now allows face unlock on the Pixel 8.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My mom has a Google pixel. My sister sent her a text message with a link to an article that came as a Facebook link. Now my mom cannot text my sister. If my mom tries to respond to my sister’s texts, her phone tells her that messages have stopped working and makes her close the message app. If my Mom tries create a new message for my sister, it will not let her even create the message. My sister says that she sends messages to my mom but they never go through.

My mom can send messages to everyone else (including me) and receive messages without issue.

Any ideas? I have had her restart her phone and her phone is up to date (just updated yesterday).

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Delete the existing message thread and try to start a new one?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Maybe use Google Messages on the web to delete the offending text?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
If you get real desperate you could delete the app storage.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Delete the existing message thread and try to start a new one?

This worked! Thank you so much. Do you know why this would have happened? I cannot figure out why a link (to an actual news article) would do this.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I don’t know what would cause it to happen, no. But it seemed like the message or link were the problem. If the app was trying to load a preview I guess that could impact things. Just seemed like completely removing the offending thread entirely would probably resolve the issue. Glad it worked.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Branch Nvidian posted:

I don’t know what would cause it to happen, no. But it seemed like the message or link were the problem. If the app was trying to load a preview I guess that could impact things. Just seemed like completely removing the offending thread entirely would probably resolve the issue. Glad it worked.

I'd guess something wonky with Webview and however Facebook was delivering the link, but that's just off the top of my head. It could also be an RCS glitch of some kind, I think.

Edit: Or Facebook is assuming the Facebook app is installed and choking if it isn't, maybe?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Edit: Or Facebook is assuming the Facebook app is installed and choking if it isn't, maybe?

That may have been. My mom said that she does not have Facebook on her phone, just her tablet.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thought my OP12 stopped honoring quiet wireless charging at night... then realised there was a clod of dust/hair trapped in the fan. Whee.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Android's Find My network is finally launched after the last iOS update.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/8/24124174/android-find-my-device-network-offline-tracker-tag-chipolo-pebblebee

3rd party trackers launch in May and June with additional ones later this year. Pixel 8 and 8 Pro can also now be located when powered off or with a dead battery.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Tile nor Samsung tags mentioned

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Very curious to why...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

teethgrinder posted:

DeusIgnis posted:

Very curious to why...

Seems obvious to me that both Tile & Samsung tracker tags are already (for Android at least) popular ecosystems and they have no incentive to integrate with the built in Android option at this time?

The second it makes to do so from a business perspective, they'll hop right onboard. In the meantime, they want you inside their apps as much as possible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tile was reported to be working on one, I'm sure they'll announce soon. Their network has been dying for awhile.

I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung's get support for the network, but would still need a Samsung phone to set them up.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Seems obvious to me that both Tile & Samsung tracker tags are already (for Android at least) popular ecosystems and they have no incentive to integrate with the built in Android option at this time?

The second it makes to do so from a business perspective, they'll hop right onboard. In the meantime, they want you inside their apps as much as possible.

The incentive is to integrate now. I have used Tile before, but when Apple's AirTag came out I gladly replaced them. Now that I'm on Android, I will for sure do the same thing with Google's. People will see this feature and gladly go towards the more convenient option. Adapt or die.

DeusIgnis fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 9, 2024

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I got an invite to install Beeper but I'm having second thoughts before using it. Is it too much of an unknown quantity in relation to its security implementation for different protocols? Anyone here used it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Can iOS devices use Android's Find My Device network to find things? I've tried searching but only find articles about the anti-stalking measures.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There is a web portal, so anything with a browser should be able to be used to find something. You would just need to use an Android device to set it up.

This is a pretty big advantage and is just another example of Apple using ecosystem lock in even at the expense of hardware sales. I have an iPhone 12 Pro MAX sitting in a drawer and I have an iPad. If I only needed an iOS device to setup an airtag, but I could use a browser to track it, I probably would have already bought some airtags. However, since I'm unlikely to have an iOS device with me when traveling, it's pointless for me to get any. Apple is using the iOS limitation for tracking Airtags (despite the fact that you can track iPhones from a browser) in order to get people to use iOS devices rather than just the accessories.

Android's network will be equally usable to iOS devices and Android devices as long as you have at least one android device to set them up.

Then again, I've been struggling to find a use for tags for me. There's the obvious use case of tracking luggage, but I don't really have anything beyond that.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 9, 2024

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, great, thanks. I was not prepared for the price of these tracking tags! One of our cats recently figured out how to use the dog door, so that's what we're looking to use it for.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

There is a web portal, so anything with a browser should be able to be used to find something. You would just need to use an Android device to set it up.

This is a pretty big advantage and is just another example of Apple using ecosystem lock in even at the expense of hardware sales. I have an iPhone 12 Pro MAX sitting in a drawer and I have an iPad. If I only needed an iOS device to setup an airtag, but I could use a browser to track it, I probably would have already bought some airtags. However, since I'm unlikely to have an iOS device with me when traveling, it's pointless for me to get any. Apple is using the iOS limitation for tracking Airtags (despite the fact that you can track iPhones from a browser) in order to get people to use iOS devices rather than just the accessories.

Android's network will be equally usable to iOS devices and Android devices as long as you have at least one android device to set them up.

Then again, I've been struggling to find a use for tags for me. There's the obvious use case of tracking luggage, but I don't really have anything beyond that.

Related, try resetting your apple account password without a device. I had to do it to set something up and it was either wait 30 days or dig out my old MacBook and click the thing.

It's arbitrary lock-in bullshit and once my MBP bites it (well, when I decide to put it out to pasture) I'm deleting the account because gently caress all that noise.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AlexDeGruven posted:

Related, try resetting your apple account password without a device. I had to do it to set something up and it was either wait 30 days or dig out my old MacBook and click the thing.

It's arbitrary lock-in bullshit and once my MBP bites it (well, when I decide to put it out to pasture) I'm deleting the account because gently caress all that noise.

Trusted number didn't work?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
My Galaxy Note10 is acting up. The screen isn't registering some touch input, namely trying to unlock the phone. Sometimes the fingerprint icon appears on a black screen, sometimes the screen stays black entirely or the clock is visible in the corner, somewhat bizarre behaviour like hanging on a blurry home screen. It's sort of slowing down on button input too.

Is it dying? Is there anything I can do short of another factory reset to fix this? I turned off finger print recognition and accidental touch protection, it's still behaving weirdly. I'll try cleaning out the memory, it could be cluttered?

EDIT: It appears to be getting worse. Double-tapping the screen wakes it but there's no swipe option. Perfect timing, I just started chatting with a really nice girl on a dating app. :(

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 10, 2024

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

My Galaxy Note10 is acting up. The screen isn't registering some touch input, namely trying to unlock the phone. Sometimes the fingerprint icon appears on a black screen, sometimes the screen stays black entirely or the clock is visible in the corner, somewhat bizarre behaviour like hanging on a blurry home screen. It's sort of slowing down on button input too.

Is it dying? Is there anything I can do short of another factory reset to fix this? I turned off finger print recognition and accidental touch protection, it's still behaving weirdly. I'll try cleaning out the memory, it could be cluttered?

EDIT: It appears to be getting worse. Double-tapping the screen wakes it but there's no swipe option. Perfect timing, I just started chatting with a really nice girl on a dating app. :(

Question 1: When did you last do a factory reset?
Question 2: Did that last factory reset fix these issues, if you were having them then?
Question 3: If you reset or have the phone replaced or whatever, can you not just continue the conversation on the dating app, or text/WhatsApp each other until you get a replacement?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Question 1: When did you last do a factory reset?
Question 2: Did that last factory reset fix these issues, if you were having them then?
Question 3: If you reset or have the phone replaced or whatever, can you not just continue the conversation on the dating app, or text/WhatsApp each other until you get a replacement?

I reset the phone a few months ago on this thread's recommendation for a separate issue. It only started behaving this way today.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

Trusted number didn't work?

It never gave me the option. I think I've added it since, but I'll hopefully never have to do it again except to delete it in the previously mentioned scenario.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

I reset the phone a few months ago on this thread's recommendation for a separate issue. It only started behaving this way today.

If you're comfortable with a factory reset after you've backed everything up, go for that. If you're still having issues after that, it's probably hardware and will need repaired or replaced.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
My mum is asking for a cheap Android phone to replace her aging Nokia 8; I've suggested the Pixel 7a but even that is too expensive in her opinion :v:
Is there anything else in the cheap space? Motorola, Nokia, Oneplus? Samsung is off the table because the interface will just confuse her, looking for something as stock as possible.
We're in Europe fwiw. Huge thanks!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Secondhand/refurb 7a?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Chikimiki posted:

My mum is asking for a cheap Android phone to replace her aging Nokia 8; I've suggested the Pixel 7a but even that is too expensive in her opinion :v:
Is there anything else in the cheap space? Motorola, Nokia, Oneplus? Samsung is off the table because the interface will just confuse her, looking for something as stock as possible.

Pixel 6a

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Galaxy A54 on sale?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Secondhand/refurb 7a?

Of course :dumb:

Branch Nvidian posted:

Galaxy A54 on sale?

Nah she's too used to the stock android interface, the changes Samsung made would just confuse her;

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

DeusIgnis posted:

The incentive is to integrate now. I have used Tile before, but when Apple's AirTag came out I gladly replaced them. Now that I'm on Android, I will for sure do the same thing with Google's. People will see this feature and gladly go towards the more convenient option. Adapt or die.

Oh I know that, but go tell Tile instead

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think the issue is that Life360 acquired Tile at the end of 2021 so now they have a problem. Make a tracker that integrates into systems that everyone with an Android device has, or keep pushing Life360 services.

Since Life360 sells location data to virtually anyone that fronts them money, they stand to lose quite a bit from encrypted and private location trackers.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 10, 2024

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Chikimiki posted:

Nokia G42 5G. Has the Android 14 update + its an "Android Premier" device (Google's secret/undercover modern day equivalent to the Nokia 8's Android One) so it's the closest thing to a Pixel without being a Pixel, right down to the embedded Google Search/At a Glance widgets on the homescreen. Skeptical about HMD's "5 minutes to replace the battery/screen/power" program that they're pushing, but at least you know the parts/repair options are there if this is going to be another 5+ year phone.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

This guy is a bit crass/immature, but his recommendations are usually pretty decent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co7DKA62iQw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Just got an email with a promo code for $250 off Pixel 8 or Pixel 8 Pro. Looks like a onetime use code, so if someone wants it let me know I guess. Expires May 2nd.