Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Cleuseau Remos posted:

Well I just got a pixel 8 about a week ago and I love it.

... nobody ever calls me and now nobody ever will...

It's a feature. Perfect phone mobile computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I think this happened to me actually. I just assumed it was the B-tier mobile network I've switched to since October but it could be this software bug.

Phone software must be really bloody hard. Remember the Essential phone? Failed despite a lot of expertise behind it.

I'm still bummed Razer cancelled their phone line. I was excited for their potential.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

DeusIgnis posted:

I'm still bummed Razer cancelled their phone line. I was excited for their potential.

Sad that Asus also seems to be exiting the market. The phone space was at least more interesting a decade ago.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Didn't ASUS just release a new Zenfone? I thought they were merging resources from Zenfone and ROG Phone but stated intention to keep both product lines around.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Just got a Zenfone 10! (and i absolutely love it) Anyone know of good super slim folio/flip covers? Can't find anything other than those horrific thickass dad wallet looking ones with a million slots for cards

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I think I'm finally looking to move on from my Galaxy S10+, I stuck with it for so long because I was comfortable with it and I liked having the option of expandable memory and a headphone jack. The Screen has been pretty nice as well.

I've been looking at upgrading but also wanting to keep a headphone jack and expandable memory since I listen to and keep gigs and gigs worth of podcast episodes on my phone to listen to when I'm traveling out in the sticks/on a plane etc. I've heard the Sony 1 V is currently the best phone for a person that wants those two things. Anyone here had any experience with them? I know the VI is going to get revealed in like a month with a supposedly shorter but wider screen and max 2k resolution instead of the previous model's 4k. Plus I'm a schmuck with T-Mobile so I know I'll have to cough up the cash to get an unlocked phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's pretty much the ONLY phone with such things. So you either buy that or compromise on one of your requirements.

I currently have 8 hours of podcasts downloaded for offline listening and it's taking up 750mb. Even 40 hours of download would be like 5gb, I don't understand why microSD storage is necessary for offline podcasts.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 19, 2024

franco
Jan 3, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have you checked for Google Play Store updates?

Had already tried and sadly doesn't work. Thanks though.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jiro posted:

I think I'm finally looking to move on from my Galaxy S10+, I stuck with it for so long because I was comfortable with it and I liked having the option of expandable memory and a headphone jack. The Screen has been pretty nice as well.

I've been looking at upgrading but also wanting to keep a headphone jack and expandable memory since I listen to and keep gigs and gigs worth of podcast episodes on my phone to listen to when I'm traveling out in the sticks/on a plane etc. I've heard the Sony 1 V is currently the best phone for a person that wants those two things. Anyone here had any experience with them? I know the VI is going to get revealed in like a month with a supposedly shorter but wider screen and max 2k resolution instead of the previous model's 4k. Plus I'm a schmuck with T-Mobile so I know I'll have to cough up the cash to get an unlocked phone.

I had an Xperia 1 V, and I'd still be using it if Apple's siren song wasn't so perfectly tuned for me. Great device, would recommend getting one used on Swappa though instead of paying full price for one at this point. Honestly I think Xperia devices are probably the only Android phones I'd willingly use at this point; which isn't to say other brands are bad or whatever, they're just more in line with what I want from a device.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

bull3964 posted:

It's pretty much the ONLY phone with such things. So you either buy that or compromise on one of your requirements.

I currently have 8 hours of podcasts downloaded for offline listening and it's taking up 750mb. Even 40 hours of download would be like 5gb, I don't understand why microSD storage is necessary for offline podcasts.

:laffo: As of today I have 61.90 gigs of episodes of only "We Hate Movies" podcast that includes the Patreon eps, a few of their Star Trek offshoot, and Animation focused eps, so it's like around 540 hours??? I really like driving and road trips and Texas has a gently caress load of dead spaces when you're driving to get where you're getting to, so if I don't want to listen to music or can't, I have a ton of episodes I can hit shuffle on and listen to. Plus the first 3 Patton Oswalt comedy albums if I feel so inclined. Plus I enjoy taking pictures and saving gifs to post on here when needed.

Branch Nvidian posted:

I had an Xperia 1 V, and I'd still be using it if Apple's siren song wasn't so perfectly tuned for me. Great device, would recommend getting one used on Swappa though instead of paying full price for one at this point. Honestly I think Xperia devices are probably the only Android phones I'd willingly use at this point; which isn't to say other brands are bad or whatever, they're just more in line with what I want from a device.

Swappa? Never heard of it, but I'll go take a look. What would the battery life of a used one look like as far as a battery memory developing?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jiro posted:

Swappa? Never heard of it, but I'll go take a look. What would the battery life of a used one look like as far as a battery memory developing?

Swappa is a reputable online user-to-user marketplace, I've sold and bought on there before. https://swappa.com/listings/sony-xperia-1-v?carrier=unlocked

As far as remaining battery life, I'm not really sure but I can say that the one I sold (on Swappa) had fantastic battery life, especially considering the screen resolution. So unless someone has just thrashed the battery, it should still be pretty good. You can use something like Accubattery to check the cycles and total capacity on the device, but obviously you'd need to actually have it in hand at that point.

Best Buy and Sony's own store have new units for $1200 right now, but $750-ish is about what one should go for used. Cheapest listed on Swappa right now is $880, but you can probably talk them down given sale history.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

it doesn't matter because it's always the same deranged thing where people go "i need to carry all my media with me at all times on my always-connected device even though it's more than i could reasonably consume in a fortnight." they justify it by coming up with ridiculous scenarios the same way gun owners dream of being a "good guy with a gun." it's not actually harmful in this case so just let them suffer through their sub-par phone to satisfy whatever digital hoarding problems they have

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Jiro posted:

:laffo: As of today I have 61.90 gigs of episodes of only "We Hate Movies" podcast that includes the Patreon eps, a few of their Star Trek offshoot, and Animation focused eps, so it's like around 540 hours??? I really like driving and road trips and Texas has a gently caress load of dead spaces when you're driving to get where you're getting to, so if I don't want to listen to music or can't, I have a ton of episodes I can hit shuffle on and listen to. Plus the first 3 Patton Oswalt comedy albums if I feel so inclined. Plus I enjoy taking pictures and saving gifs to post on here when needed.

You do you, but basing a phone decision around lugging around 34 waking days worth of podcasts (that could easily fit on a 256gb phone anyways) seems like you are cutting out a lot of good device options for a very minimal (and possibly unnoticeable) shift in how you go about doing things. I would say the same about the headphone jack too which is solved by a $9.99 dongle that you can leave attached to your headphones all the time, but there has been enough litigating of that argument online.

The Xperia V is not a bad phone, but it is an expensive phone and it’s built for a very specific type of user (one who wants to work to get the best photos). Sony’s software policy isn’t the best either. You’ll get Android 15 and then security updates until early 2026. That’s it. Google and Samsung phones on sale today will get their last update in 2030 and 2031. So, you aren’t going to get the same longevity out of the Xperia as you did your S10+ and it will fall almost half a decade short of what the rivals on sale today offer.

I think I would at the very least wait until we find out more info about the VI as the launch event is expected in May (though, Sony hardly ever makes their devices available right away). But it could spur sales of the V or you may decide the VI is worth waiting for to have a longer support window.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

butt dickus posted:

it doesn't matter because it's always the same deranged thing where people go "i need to carry all my media with me at all times on my always-connected device even though it's more than i could reasonably consume in a fortnight." they justify it by coming up with ridiculous scenarios the same way gun owners dream of being a "good guy with a gun." it's not actually harmful in this case so just let them suffer through their sub-par phone to satisfy whatever digital hoarding problems they have

Hey, that's a really really loving stupid comparison! Good job!

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Thread title remains undefeated

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

butt dickus posted:

What the gently caress

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

*Checks thread* JFC.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

butt dickus posted:

:dafuq:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I wish my Android had a gun app so I could shoot that post

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

hmm I dont think those are similar at all!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

butt dickus posted:

well then consider those folks told

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Jiro posted:

Using a 3.5mm to usb converter for your headphones is no big deal

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Uthor posted:

Huh, that probably explains why I was confused by the email I got from my doc yesterday saying they couldn't get ahold of me. They probably DID try calling on Tuesday like they said they would.

:argh:

Got an update a couple of days ago, but missed two calls so far this morning.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I understand the desire for sd cards and headphone jacks, but you can probably get a 1TB S24 Ultra and some Galaxy Buds for the price of a Sony phone.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Got a 1.something gb security update a few days ago. Now I'm getting a 2.35gb security update. Are these going to/supposed to fix/further break/leave the same the calls not going through problem?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

butt dickus posted:

This got reported, but I think I'm just going to leave it alone - I think having it indelibly inked on the forums is punishment enough.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Don't most flagship level phones come with a 1tb option these days? Should be plenty for the hoarding.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If you really need more storage, you could always use a USB-C thumb drive, or a wireless drive of some kind. I have a 32GB thumb drive that also has has wifi and can be accessed wireless, although it might require the proprietary app for that - I haven't used it in forever.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Jiro posted:

:laffo: As of today every decent phone comes with at least the option of 256 GB internal storage so your little audio files will all fit on there easily.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Does anyone know if samsung smart switch can restore individual files?

Does the custom restore option restore all items in a group to it's original location or can it restore to a specific folder?

Is there a simple way to sync my samsung phone and tablet so that they have the same files?

thanks

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BabyFur Denny posted:

:laffo: As of today every decent phone comes with at least the option of 256 GB internal storage so your little audio files will all fit on there easily.

So is this just a personal thing, but I've carried over years of photos and videos from phone to phone some more than others, family, friends, etc.

Along with backing up those files on an external drive.

I've never really trusted saving Data to the cloud, Apple or otherwise. I like keeping that poo poo with me, and have no problem letting those images along with apps that I want to carry over eat up the phone space and keep audio media on a removable micro sd. :shrug:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Just let Google photos upload your stuff automatically and then never worry about it again

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They just said they don't want to do that man

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

There's nothing we can say to change their mind but the cloud is by magnitudes safer to backup your stuff then your phone and a hard drive

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Still, get the S24+ with 512 GB of storage, or if you really need, the S24 with 1 TB, and it should hold everything while being more reliable than an SD card.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hard drives never fail, unlike the cloud

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ordered the Pebblebee tracking tags. I picked them over Chipolo because I like that they're rechargeable and sizing/attaching looks better. Their shipping to Canada blows though.

Still hoping Tile gets integrated with the Android network (2023 news articles said it was going to...) but may as well hedge my bets and I'm happy to put two different network tags on my bikes. Figure a thief might stop looking after finding one, and hedge my bets a bit with finding it.

(The thing with Toronto bike theft is ... the thieves seem to just ride it to another place nearby and put their own u-lock on it, to be picked up later presumably. Several friends have had a lot of luck with recovering their bikes via Tiles in the past. I haven't heard of tags being found/ripped off yet either though you'd think thieves would have gotten the memo by now.)

edit: was surprised my Logitech Wonderboom 3 bluetooth speaker already shows in the Find My app. My Samsung watch does too, but my OnePlus earbuds do not.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 23, 2024

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Ordered the Pebblebee tracking tags. I picked them over Chipolo because I like that they're rechargeable and sizing/attaching looks better. Their shipping to Canada blows though.

Yeah, I'm holding off because of cost, after the CAD conversion plus shipping :( Please report back because I do want some!!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Uthor posted:

Got an update a couple of days ago, but missed two calls so far this morning.

Got another update today. It had red text at the top saying that I could snooze the alert, but only for a few days, then it will be installed. I don't remember ever seeing a message like that before. (it was first thing in the morning and I was half asleep don't remember the exact text). Hopefully my phone will start ringing for incoming phone calls reliably!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Left channel on my OP earbuds is periodically cutting out and it can't figure out what's going on. Doesn't seem to be software, all apps have the same problem, and it doesn't seem blocked or busted... Like it still makes audible feedback noises at a normal volume when I use its controls.